Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

So how much are the drinks on board? I remember the drink of the day used to be pretty cheap - like around five or six bucks but the last time I was on DCL was 3 or 4 years ago. Does anyone know what the prices are like for cocktails these days?

Pretty much the same as you'd find at a local bar/lounge. Not as high as the prices at WDW bars/lounges.

But the alcohol used by DCL is common bar / college area stuff. So the rum tastes like paint thinner.

The wife always wondered why I went for the good stuff until we did a simple on the rocks (ice) tasting. Now she knows why I can drink/sip certain rum straight and not need chasers.

For people like me, DCL will loose money with the new policy. Because I need a few good drinks before my taste buds have become numb enough to stomach the bar drinks. So with out good base spirits to start with, I will not be buying anything at the bars and will be purchasing less.

Just back from Fantasy.

A couple of things: their policy doesn't align with onboard airline check-in since you can't pick up alcohol until debarkation morning. Since your luggage has to be out by 10:30p the night before, and you can't pick up your liquor until the following morning, and you cannot carry alcohol onboard the plane .... See where I'm going with this? Apparently, DCL isn't fully inline with other cruise lines who allow you to pick up your liquor the night before, you know, so you can pack it. Idiots.

We sailed with a very large group. We did our fair share of smuggling with absolutely no issues. I don't really care how anyone feels about that. We considered it our giant middle finger to DCL for changing the policy abruptly after we were PIF and the abysmal way they rolled it out, not to mention their extreme arrogance when questioned about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine why you would need more liquor than they allow, especially if you can refresh at the next port. I personally get sick of seeing people weaving and slurring and behaving obnoxiously under the influence. And we especially don't need to see this when there are many children around. You shouldn't be in an alcoholic haze anyway when you are caring for children. Frankly, I don't see the need for all this drinking anyway. We've boarded cruises at noon to find the bars already full of people who are already drinking. Ridiculous!

I can't imagine why you would need more liquor than they allow, especially if you can refresh at the next port. I personally get sick of seeing people weaving and slurring and behaving obnoxiously under the influence. And we especially don't need to see this when there are many children around. You shouldn't be in an alcoholic haze anyway when you are caring for children. Frankly, I don't see the need for all this drinking anyway. We've boarded cruises at noon to find the bars already full of people who are already drinking. Ridiculous!

Because they don't sell fine wines in Caribbean ports. A bottle of wine is five glasses, which consumed by a couple over a two hour meal means they leave legally sober enough to drive. You also assume everyone cruising DCL has children with them. Perhaps get some facts straight before making presumptive comments?

Edited by ducklite

I am an adult traveling on the Disney Cruise Line without children. Many adults cruise on this line without children and may use the cruise as an excuse to let their hair down and relax. That is what a vacation is for!

I do not condone drunken behavior in the family areas however in the adult sections of the ship I see no issue within reason. Again, I am not supporting drunken behavior but letting your hair down is fine by me.

I enjoy craft stouts (meaning not Guinness) and rye whiskey (not sure about availability on the ship, we shall see). That is pretty much all I enjoy drinking, which can be a problem on a cruise ship.

Sure I can bring on a 6 pack with me but what are the odds of me being able to find something similar at a foreign port? The same is true for good wine. Not to mention the higher prices and having to find a place that sells it in port.

From everything I have seen/heard DCL does not have the best variety of alcohol. If they did I would happily (OK maybe not happily...) buy from their bar.

For people like me the options are limited. They won't get additional money from me at the bar because they have nothing that interests me.

I wish they would give the option of 2 bottles of wine, 1 6 pack of beer/cider (some people can't drink beer), or an average sized bottle of liquor.

If I am relaxed and had a few I am MUCH more likely to spend that extra money in the gift shop, at the spa, or at that new candy store. ;)

Whether or not you take children with you, the ship is full of children, and they don't need to see drunken passengers or near drunken passengers. I don't understand why you would need all that alcohol anyway. Can't enjoy yourself unless you are drugged? It's cheaper to stay home and get drunk. Why not choose that path? We will be sailing with our grandchildren on our third Disney cruise in October. I would prefer they not have to see, hear, or smell drunks. They have also been on two Carnival cruises where we did our best to steer them clear of most public areas and decks. We had a suite and went to shows and dinner and managed to avoid the numerous drunks on the Carnival ships. Unfortunately, making people pay high prices for drinks doesn't keep people from drinking or, apparently, even slow them down. I would be happy to see Disney end all liquor on their ships. Who needs it?

Edited by GrandmaHofmann

Fine wines enhance food. As I stated earlier, a couple splitting a bottle of wine over dinner are not only not drunk, they are legal to operate a car in every state. It seems you have issues with alcohol and want to push your dogma on others. No one is making you drink, nor should you expect others to abstain. If that is what you are after, perhaps instead of cruising you might look at Baptist or LDS run vacation options.

Edited by ducklite

Whether or not you take children with you, the ship is full of children, and they don't need to see drunken passengers or near drunken passengers. I don't understand why you would need all that alcohol anyway. Can't enjoy yourself unless you are drugged? It's cheaper to stay home and get drunk. Why not choose that path? We will be sailing with our grandchildren on our third Disney cruise in October. I would prefer they not have to see, hear, or smell drunks. They have also been on two Carnival cruises where we did our best to steer them clear of most public areas and decks. We had a suite and went to shows and dinner and managed to avoid the numerous drunks on the Carnival ships. Unfortunately, making people pay high prices for drinks doesn't keep people from drinking or, apparently, even slow them down. I would be happy to see Disney end all liquor on their ships. Who needs it?

I decided to sail with Disney this time around (instead of NCL/RCL/CC) for one very specific reason. The adult only areas vs kid only areas. In addition to being a die hard Disney fan of course.

What if I said, as a childless adult, that I do not enjoy seeing rowdy children loaded up on sugar having a ball on THEIR special vacation? You would tell me that 1. Disney is a cruise line for kids, 2. it is their/your vacation, and 3. to go to an adult area.

That is the beauty of a Disney cruise. The adult areas! The adult only areas are also one of the reasons that Disney has the kids clubs. This is a vacation for Mom and Dad as well. Kids can't sail alone so while the kid to adult ration may not be 50/50 there are plenty of adults on the ship. It isn't just about the kids. Don't the parents deserve an equally as relaxing and enjoyable vacation?

As I previously stated I have no intentions of being completely drunk on the cruise and traumatizing children. I will be drinking in my state room and adult only areas. You make everyone that drinks sound like some monster!

On vacation I like to have a drink or 2 while lounging by the pool in the afternoon and maybe a couple drinks after dinner in a social setting to unwind. It is my time away from the real world and I deserve it.

And what ArthurUSCG said is true. If I bring on an expensive bottle of whiskey you can bet I will savor it.

I decided to sail with Disney this time around (instead of NCL/RCL/CC) for one very specific reason. The adult only areas vs kid only areas. In addition to being a die hard Disney fan of course.

What if I said, as a childless adult, that I do not enjoy seeing rowdy children loaded up on sugar having a ball on THEIR special vacation? You would tell me that 1. Disney is a cruise line for kids, 2. it is their/your vacation, and 3. to go to an adult area.

That is the beauty of a Disney cruise. The adult areas! The adult only areas are also one of the reasons that Disney has the kids clubs. This is a vacation for Mom and Dad as well. Kids can't sail alone so while the kid to adult ration may not be 50/50 there are plenty of adults on the ship. It isn't just about the kids. Don't the parents deserve an equally as relaxing and enjoyable vacation?

As I previously stated I have no intentions of being completely drunk on the cruise and traumatizing children. I will be drinking in my state room and adult only areas. You make everyone that drinks sound like some monster!

On vacation I like to have a drink or 2 while lounging by the pool in the afternoon and maybe a couple drinks after dinner in a social setting to unwind. It is my time away from the real world and I deserve it.

And what ArthurUSCG said is true. If I bring on an expensive bottle of whiskey you can bet I will savor it.

Unfortunately, you can no longer do this. DCL now only allows 2 bottles (750 ml) of wine or champagne or 6 beers (12 oz) per each adult 21 and over.

Unfortunately, you can no longer do this. DCL now only allows 2 bottles (750 ml) of wine or champagne or 6 beers (12 oz) per each adult 21 and over.

I know. That is what the original post and most of the replies have been about, right?

My post was in regards to what ArthurUSCG stated in their post about expensive alcohol combined with my wish (expressed in a previous reply) to bring on 2 bottles of wine OR 6 12oz bottles of beer OR 1 average sized bottle of liquor.

I do not intend on bringing a nice bottle of whiskey on the ship as it is not allowed.

Note: I realized my mistake after I posted and should have said "if I could bring" instead of "if I bring". Reading it again I understand how it could sound. I apologize. Again I have no intentions of bringing a bottle of liquor on board.

Edited by ferriz

I know. That is what the original post and most of the replies have been about, right?

My post was in regards to what ArthurUSCG stated in their post about expensive alcohol combined with my wish (expressed in a previous reply) to bring on 2 bottles of wine OR 6 12oz bottles of beer OR 1 average sized bottle of liquor.

I do not intend on bringing a nice bottle of whiskey on the ship as it is not allowed.

Note: I realized my mistake after I posted and should have said "if I could bring" instead of "if I bring". Reading it again I understand how it could sound. I apologize. Again I have no intentions of bringing a bottle of liquor on board.

No problem. I was just clarifying the policy. Sometimes, when threads get too long, some people just reading the last few posts don't get what the original subject was.

:)

Whilst you are fully entitled to your opinion and beliefs, it would appear that Disney do not share the same ones.

Nor a large proportion of your fellow DCL cruisers.

DCL will happily allow you to be "drugged" and even supply the alcohol necessary, for a fee, or even included at certain celebratory events, to Guests aged 21 and over.

They will have crew members serving alcoholic beverages to adults in lounges that have bars during family activities, and on deck during parties, in the MDR's at lunch and dinner, so your grandkids will be exposed to the smell of alcohol in the air and on the breath of other adults all around them.

You may not see the "need" for all of "this drinking" and parents or guardians to be in an "alcoholic haze" as you put it, some, not all, but a large proportion of the adults that cruise on DCL like to imbibe whilst cruising with children in their care, and do so in a responsible manner.

Unfortunately, a small few do not, on ANY line, and the responsible ones should not be tarred with the same broad brush.

So if you do not want to see "drunken or even near drunken" Guests, it is obvious that DCL is not the cruise line for you and your grandkids.

I would suggest you find a cruise line or other vacationing method that meets those requirements and you find a suitable environment to vacation with.

ex techie