Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

Most lines that I have dealt with have a general rule of making changes outside the cancellation window unless there is another reason, just to avoid potential issues. A decision like this may originate with the bean counters but operationally has to go through a lot of other areas like purchasing, bar ops, security, hotel ops). Someone would have noticed.

Which brings to mine another possible scenario, the process of internal approval and adjustment took longer than planned and they never changed the date - I could see that)

I don't think bean counters always have the common sense to anticipate customer reaction to policy changes.

Most lines that I have dealt with have a general rule of making changes outside the cancellation window unless there is another reason, just to avoid potential issues. A decision like this may originate with the bean counters but operationally has to go through a lot of other areas like purchasing, bar ops, security, hotel ops). Someone would have noticed.

Which brings to mine another possible scenario, the process of internal approval and adjustment took longer than planned and they never changed the date - I could see that)

I think the latter is plausible. That said, they should now be aware of the pushback by guests and push the date out further.

Well, for what we paid for our Disney Wonder cruise last year you would think they would have enough profit to make things better. Our wait staff was just ok, our room steward was just ok, food was mediocre, ship was overly crowded, hallways were very narrow, elevators way too small, and overall was not what we had hoped for. We did not carry on any liquor, and thought the drink prices were actually reasonable. If we ever sail on a Disney ship again, I am wondering how reasonable those drink prices will be considering they will now have a captive audience (excluding those with rum runners).

Was that your first cruise? I have been on five ships in four lines and the hallways in DCL are no narrower than anyone else, and actually wider than some ships. The elevators are large by cruise ship standards. If you thought the Winder was crowded, avoid Royal Caribbean!

Was that your first cruise? I have been on five ships in four lines and the hallways in DCL are no narrower than anyone else, and actually wider than some ships. The elevators are large by cruise ship standards. If you thought the Winder was crowded, avoid Royal Caribbean!

In the sig line, this poster lists several Carnival cruises prior to this one on the Wonder. The Wonder is the first listed DCL cruise, and is followed by more Carnival.

In the sig line' date=' this poster lists several Carnival cruises prior to this one on the Wonder. The Wonder is the first listed DCL cruise, and is followed by more Carnival.[/quote']

Thanks. I am on the road today so accessing via a tablet app which automatically removes signatures. I haven't cruised Carnival but can't imagine their hallways are exceptionally wide or elevators uncrowded..

Question for anybody who can offer an idea.

The last few Disney cruises we took, we always stocked up on a bunch of interesting alcohol from wherever we stopped - brands that aren't readily available in the US. Mostly as conversation pieces to consume back at home. We generally would buy up to the customs' max. Watlings rum or some obscure tequila may not taste any better but does get a conversation going at a home BBQ.

The whole part of the policy about them taking the liquor and holding it to the end of the cruise - is that something that the cruise line is OK with or is it really intended as a punishment? Can we just walk up while coming back from a port and hand the cruise people 24 bottles of rum to be retrieved at the end (we have enough adults to get thru customs)? What are the mechanics?

Edited by tonymoo

Question for anybody who can offer an idea.

The last few Disney cruises we took, we always stocked up on a bunch of interesting alcohol from wherever we stopped - brands that aren't readily available in the US. Mostly as conversation pieces to consume back at home. We generally would buy up to the customs' max. Watlings rum or some obscure tequila may not taste any better but does get a conversation going at a home BBQ.

The whole part of the policy about them taking the liquor and holding it to the end of the cruise - is that something that the cruise line is OK with or is it really intended as a punishment? Can we just walk up while coming back from a port and hand the cruise people 24 bottles of rum to be retrieved at the end (we have enough adults to get thru customs)? What are the mechanics?

Well, AFAIK, DCL hasn't worked out the "mechanics" of this yet, as this is a new policy and doesn't take effect until 9/30/15.

But, there are many other cruiselines that have this same policy. When returning to the ship, any alcoholic purchase made in port that's not allowed to be taken onboard for private use during the cruise must be turned in and tagged. Different cruiselines have different methods of returning the tagged items. Some deliver them to the respective staterooms the last night of the cruise, other require you to pick them up the last morning as you disembark the ship (either from a table onboard or in the terminal).

Yes, we have been on other ships and the elevators are much larger on Carnival. We have been able to fit 10 or more people on the Carnival elevators except for the glass ones that go up through the Atrium. The Disney Wonder, we were lucky to get 4 people on at once. Hallways were also very narrow. Guess we have been lucky. The buffet area on the Wonder is also exceptionally small.

Yes, we have been on other ships and the elevators are much larger on Carnival. We have been able to fit 10 or more people on the Carnival elevators except for the glass ones that go up through the Atrium. The Disney Wonder, we were lucky to get 4 people on at once. Hallways were also very narrow. Guess we have been lucky. The buffet area on the Wonder is also exceptionally small.

Really? We often had 4 people standing + 1 in a wheelchair on the Wonder elevators. OK, that was crowded, but it did work. The hallways were fine except when we had to get the wheelchair around a host cart or the strollers that some guests left in the hallways. Now THAT was a pain. The hosts quickly moved their carts, but the strollers.....I was often tempted to take them for a stroll...maybe to lost and found, since they'd obviously been abandoned in the hall. But the hallways on the Wonder were wider than we experienced on Celebrity.

One thing you might consider. The Magic was launched in 1998 and the Wonder in 1999. They aren't new ships, and at the time set new standards in the industry for size of cabins, etc. I don't know all the Carnival ships, but it looks like you've cruised on some of the bigger, newer ones. I'm not sure it is fair to compare a 1999, 2500 passenger ship to a 2010, 4000+ passenger one.

Really? We often had 4 people standing + 1 in a wheelchair on the Wonder elevators. OK' date=' that was crowded, but it did work. The hallways were fine except when we had to get the wheelchair around a host cart or the strollers that some guests left in the hallways. Now THAT was a pain. The hosts quickly moved their carts, but the strollers.....I was often tempted to take them for a stroll...maybe to lost and found, since they'd obviously been abandoned in the hall. But the hallways on the Wonder were wider than we experienced on Celebrity.

One thing you might consider. The Magic was launched in 1998 and the Wonder in 1999. They aren't new ships, and at the time set new standards in the industry for size of cabins, etc. I don't know all the Carnival ships, but it looks like you've cruised on some of the bigger, newer ones. I'm not sure it is fair to compare a 1999, 2500 passenger ship to a 2010, 4000+ passenger one.[/quote']

I have to agree that the elevators on the Magic & Wonder are smaller than similar ships on other lines. We sailed on the Carnival Pride (built in 2002, less than 2400 passengers) and the elevators were substantially larger than the Magic. We could easily fit 7-8 people plus a large wheelchair. And there was rarely a long wait. On the Magic, it always felt like we were waiting for the elevator.

I have been on the sister ship the Magic (same footprint and elevators) and unless you are talking four people in bariatric wheelchairs, there are no elevators which are than small.

Edited by ducklite

We have been told that if we try another Disney cruise, we should try the Dream or Fantasy which are supposed to have much larger elevators and other public areas. And yes, we have a person in a wheelchair, so larger elevators, public areas and hallways matter.

FYI, the Carnival Legend we sailed on was made in 2001 and carries 2100 passengers and we did not have any trouble with the elevators, hallways, cabins or anything else on the ship as far as being able to handle a wheelchair.

Edited by blondietink

Interesting...I've been on the Fantasy and didn't notice the elevators being that much larger. There are more of them (or so it seemed). I've traveled with a friend who is in a wheelchair full time and with a family member who needs one for any significant distances--no problems on either the classic or the newer ships other than when people left their personal belongings in the hallways. I fear that would be a problem on any cruise line.

Sorry, I've not been on Carnival any time recently, so can't make a fair comparison with that line. Celebrity had one huge elevator, but most of them were comparable to DCL's.

I have been on the sister ship the Magic (same footprint and elevators) and unless you are talking four people in bariatric wheelchairs, there are no elevators which are than small.

Some are quite small.

Disney+Cruise+196.jpg

The elevator states 12 people or 1000Kg for maximum loading. Not sure how comfortable or if even how possible it would be to squeeze 12 people in there!

ex techie

Anyway, back on track with the topic title, it doesn't seem like DCL are going to remind this decision at the moment.

I guess they feel they can still lose enough repeat Guest's and still fill the ships.

ex techie

Speak for yourself ! I want to hear more about elevator capacity !!! ;)

I am actually surprised so little has been posted about the elimination of bringing on ones own liquor. Given that people can replenish their wine and beer supplies at each port , I don't see that part of the policy change as a big deal . Nor is an corking fee increase of $5 a big deal BUT eliminating the right to bring on liquor bottles seems to me to be a much bigger issue . I am surprised that this isn't seen as the bigger deal.

Edited by richstowe

I am actually surprised so little has been posted about the elimination of bringing on ones own liquor. Given that people can replenish their wine and beer supplies at each port , I don't see that part of the policy change as a big deal . Nor is an corking fee increase of $5 a big deal BUT eliminating the right to bring on liquor bottles seems to me to be a much bigger issue . I am surprised that this isn't seen as the bigger deal.

Well it is on at least one other forum.

Yes, I've often seen that "capacity 12" sign in the elevator and laughed. I don't see how more than about 8 could fit and that is becoming "real friendly."

Yes, the liquor thing is a big deal to some people. We don't drink much, so we've never bothered to bring it on board. And we ended the "Dr. Pepper" drag on when I declared that the person who wanted to drink it was now big enough to carry or roll it around. Suddenly Diet Coke was an acceptable substitute. Funny, I didn't notice any restrictions on cans of soft drinks or mixers.

I agree. The short notice of no liquor is the hardest part I'm reading for a lot of people.

I think the policy is ill thought out, and a major fault with the wine and beer part it is that it does not take into account the length of the cruise. Why would a 3 day and a 14 day cruise have the same allowance?

I think the rise in corkage fee as well is a major mistake.

By increasing it, they are pretty much saying we don't wan't you to bring your wine into the MDR's, so people will bring a glass to the MDR's, and maybe even excuse themselves to get a top up, or discreetly top up under the table?

If they had lowered it to a more reasonable $15 that would have encouraged more people, and DCL get a $15 fee for just supplying some glasses, and maybe a wine bucket. Those that cannot be bothered to bring their own wine will continue to buy a package or a bottle each night.

The CC DCL board has always had a smaller following than say the DIS.

The thread over there is around 55 pages and still going strong last time I checked!

ex techie

I think the policy is ill thought out, and a major fault with the wine and beer part it is that it does not take into account the length of the cruise. Why would a 3 day and a 14 day cruise have 3 day and a 14 day cruise have the same?

Unless the 3 day and a 14 day cruise have the same amount of port stops, which would be very odd, they do not have the same allowance .

"Each Guest 21 years and older may bring two bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) or six beers (no larger than 12oz) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call."

Unless the 3 day and a 14 day cruise have the same amount of port stops, which would be very odd, they do not have the same allowance .

"Each Guest 21 years and older may bring two bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) or six beers (no larger than 12oz) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call."

My point entirely! If you exclude CC as a port stop since you cannot buy wine or beer, a 3 night has 1 port stop. A TA or PC 10-14 night cruise may have 3 or 4.

So the ratio of ports that you are able to replenish to nights onboard is very unbalanced in favor of a 3 night. Even in comparison to a 7 night eastern cruise.

3 Night, 1 port - 1.33 bottles / night

vs.

7 night, 2 ports - 0.85 of a bottle / night

vs.

14 night PC, 4 ports - 0.57 of a bottle / night

vs.

11 night TA, 3 ports - 0.54 of a bottle / night

They should have a sliding scale of how much can be brought on depending on cruise length and ports.

As for liquor, again, they could have easily said 250ml pp for 3 night, 500ml pp for a 7 night cruise, and 1 liter pp on cruises of 8 nights and above, and I bet the fall out from this horrible situation and bad feeling against them would have been a lot lot less, is more reasonable IMO, and still restricting how much hard liquor is brought on board if it were for reasons of insurance. And not for profit.

ex techie

Just going to point out that this year's WBTA has one (1) port of call. So, for that 11 night cruise (if it were to fall after the 9/30 date) that's only 4 bottles of wine OR 12 cans of beer per person.

That certainly equates to having the same allowance as a 3 night cruise.

For some replenishing in port might be an option. But not for everyone, and certainly not in every port.

I agree. The short notice of no liquor is the hardest part I'm reading for a lot of people.

I think the policy is ill thought out, and a major fault with the wine and beer part it is that it does not take into account the length of the cruise. Why would a 3 day and a 14 day cruise have the same allowance?

I think the rise in corkage fee as well is a major mistake.

By increasing it, they are pretty much saying we don't wan't you to bring your wine into the MDR's, so people will bring a glass to the MDR's, and maybe even excuse themselves to get a top up, or discreetly top up under the table?

If they had lowered it to a more reasonable $15 that would have encouraged more people, and DCL get a $15 fee for just supplying some glasses, and maybe a wine bucket. Those that cannot be bothered to bring their own wine will continue to buy a package or a bottle each night.

The CC DCL board has always had a smaller following than say the DIS.

The thread over there is around 55 pages and still going strong last time I checked!

ex techie

I have no problem with the corkage fee. What it does is eliminate the people who think it's OK to buy a magnum of something DCL sells and bring it to the dining room in order to avoid paying DCL mark up. For those who bring their own wines to have their preferred vintages, $5 more is nothing. (Most US restaurants--including Disney World Signatures--are up to a $30 corkage with a few hitting $50-75!) DCL could (should?) have a policy (as most restaurants that allow BYOB do) that if it's on their list, you can't BYOB. Fair enough.

DCL could easily fix the BYOG issue by providing a different style (or color or size) of wine glasses provided in the cabin by the stewards then what is used in the bars and restaurants. The stewards could be instructed to remove bar/restaurant stemware from the cabins when cleaning them to avoid "cheats." It's not a perfect system, but it would stop a lot of the BYOG. Anyone who showed up with the glassware provided for the cabin would be told they can't bring it into the restaurant, or they will be charged a corkage fee.

The other option (which I think is a great one) is to simply charge the corkage at boarding. That way it doesn't matter if you BYOG to the dining room, as you've already been charged the corkage. Bring on eight bottles of wine and be willing to fork over $200. They do need to have a scheme particularly on the Med sailings where people might be buying wine to bring home where DCL will store it if people don't want to pay the corkage as they won't be drinking it on board.