LaGuardia to Times Square Hotel

Sea Legs

What is the best mode of transportation to take from LaGuardia to our pre-cruise hotel in Times Square vicinity? It will be early on a Saturday morning.

Door to door is a taxi. However, you can take public transportation just as easy, and cheaper. Google LGA to Port Authority to get you choices.

I was just in NYC (for non cruise-related trip) 2 weeks ago. I flew into JFK and stayed in Times Square. JFk is much further from Times Square then LGA is but I took the train to/from the airport/hotel both ways. Although it was my first time there, it was very self explanatory. Although I didn't fly into LGA, my vote would also be for public transportation. However, if you're traveling with a party of more than 2 people it may be in your best interest just to take a cab or a super shuttle for the convenience factor/ less hassle.

Public transportation:

Leave La Guardia Terminal B on Saturday at 9AM ( i looked at this Saturday but unless there is something going on in the City it should be similar)

Walk .5 miles to Q70 (Queens city bus)

Take the bus for 9 minutes to Roosevelt Avenue / 74 street (ask the bus driver to let you know when to get off)

Take the F train towards Coney Island Ave to 47-50 Sts Rockefeller Ctr.

Walk 7 mins to Times Square.

I am lazy so I would take a tax or UBER.

Public transportation:

Leave La Guardia Terminal B on Saturday at 9AM ( i looked at this Saturday but unless there is something going on in the City it should be similar)

Walk .5 miles to Q70 (Queens city bus)

Take the bus for 9 minutes to Roosevelt Avenue / 74 street (ask the bus driver to let you know when to get off)

Take the F train towards Coney Island Ave to 47-50 Sts Rockefeller Ctr.

Walk 7 mins to Times Square.

I am lazy so I would take a tax or UBER.

do you think people want to drag around cruise luggage all over the place?

I would bet not

Dial 7 has been the cheapest door to door option I've found for my NYC trips. About $35/each way. Be sure to get a coupon code on retailmenot.com (normally $5 off).

Edited by Stacy_C

Someone mentioned public transportation. I posted a route. Also said i would not do it. Trust me i see plenty of people on the subway with luggage every day. To each their own. Now they have an easy to understand option.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

This is a fortuitous thread! We just cancelled our Vista TA and replaced it with the NY to Miami repositioning cruise. We're SO excited to be visiting NYC, even if it is in mid-November. I've started a page of notes so the Dial 7 information was copied and pasted. Thanks!

Come join the Vista Repo roll call :). Very fun and friendly bunch!

This is a fortuitous thread! We just cancelled our Vista TA and replaced it with the NY to Miami repositioning cruise. We're SO excited to be visiting NYC, even if it is in mid-November. I've started a page of notes so the Dial 7 information was copied and pasted. Thanks!

If you are planning to do any walking or sightseeing in the City, make sure you have a warm hat and gloves and a layer like a warm sweater under your coat.

The wind chill from the wind tunnel effort of the wind blowing crosstown from river to river can be ferocious.

Dial 7 has been the cheapest door to door option I've found for my NYC trips. About $35/each way. Be sure to get a coupon code on retailmenot.com (normally $5 off).

This is who we used on the Miracle repo a few years back. Easy to make reservations on line (get the coupon). Call their number after you collect your baggage and within a few minutes your car shows up. That easy.

Checking my receipts the taxi from LaGuardia to Times Square on a Sunday afternoon cost me $32 with tip. The driver went a different route than I am used to, and the tolls were less than normal (but the drive longer than normal; at first I thought he was trying to screw me until I realized the fare was less than I expected!). So you may be able to ask them if they can take a route with less tolls. Returning to the airport from Times Square cost me $46 on a Friday afternoon.

If you do take a taxi and the line at the stand right out of baggage claim is long, keep walking a bit- there is another one that never has anyone at it, but just as many cabs waiting.

Edited by skittl1321

I just came back from NY and flew in and out of LGA.

You just go to the taxi stand. They don't like you calling in other cab companies. Or there are few big SUV's that you can take for $70. The cab ride was about $50 including tip.

Who is "they"? That's simply not true. You can order any car service even Uber. What is illegal is for a car service to solicit rides from pax without being called

Yellow Medallion Cabs are controlled by the NYC Taxi & Limousine Dispatcher at each terminal. On airport property you can not "Hail" a yellow cab but it has to be dispatched from the queue, that said I've seen yellow taxi drop passengers and pick them up, technically violating T&LC rules.

Hired Car Service commonly refereed to as Black Car you must have a pre-arrangement to be picked up. Just a call to them or use their app counts.

This is technically the same for Uber and Lyft as you make a pre-arrangement on their app on your phone.

You should NEVER just jump in a cab or hail a cab at the airport. Many stories of tourist being taken for a ride that is more then just in the car.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/04/09/cbs2-exclusive-undercover-with-tlc-on-sting-targeting-illegal-taxis-at-airports/

When I head into Manhattan / NYC - using MTA buses & subway are generally preferred, and, it's not uncommon to see visitors or tourists (local residents) with their rollers & spinners in tow. Subway lines aren't always the best on weekends & late nights with track work & maintenance scheduled, but otherwise is good for the budget travelers who can manage on their own.

The key stations have elevators and/or escalators, and if you plan ahead & do your "homework" - it can sometimes be just as fast, if not faster than taxi or car service, etc. Two (2) people traveling together from LGA to 50th Street @ Broadway in Times Square to walk to the nearby hotel can do thiis for $12 USD round-trip, $2.75 p/p each way x 4 ($1 for shared MetroCard purhcase)

Easily done with 22" cabin-sized suitcase and a smaller carry-on or backpack, and, even these budget travelers on the #7 subway managed quite well with their 25" spinner on a weekday off-peak morning (10:30 AM) coming from LGA.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/IMG_20140821_105020.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/IMG_20140821_105102.jpg

** Many staying in Long Island City (Queens), one-stop across the East River with tourist class hotels 2 or 3 blocks from the subway stations @ very competitive rates.

Edited by mking8288

We do this every year and just jump in a taxi, about 50 dollars

Hi all..let me get this right...ok to get taxi outside of airport..but don't hail or jump in a taxi? Is there a company that is best? We're going to W 57th street ..so is that considered Manhattan or Hell's kitchen area? Thanks for helping .

Hi all..let me get this right...ok to get taxi outside of airport..but don't hail or jump in a taxi? Is there a company that is best? We're going to W 57th street ..so is that considered Manhattan or Hell's kitchen area? Thanks for helping .

I think the point being made is that at the airport there is an organized system of taxi dispatching at each terminal. Folks get in a line to get a cab. Sometimes there are a lot of people waiting for cabs and sometimes there are a lot of cabs waiting for people. You are not supposed to "jump the line" by intercepting a cab dropping someone off or by accepting a solicitation from a "livery" driver to take you somewhere.

W 57th St is definitely Manhattan and may be Hell's Kitchen if the address is west of 8th Ave. If you want a car service look at Dial7 or Carmellimo. They both have online coupons.