Collector's cruise vs. B2B?

Shmoo here

Semantics mostly. A Collector's Cruise has a single booking number across the two segments, while a B2B typically has a single booking number and a small savings.

However, we were on a cruise in 2012 that was sold as a Collector's Cruise even though it was 14 days without a FLL return. It was on the Maasdam and did the Southern Caribbean with stops in St. Barts, Grenada, and Barbados in addition to HMC, St. Thomas, and the ABC islands. I think that you could have bought Collector's Cruises on that particular ship as a 14, 21, or 35 day sailing. The Maasdam returned to Port Everglades after the 14 and 21 day segments, but all 3 were sold as Collector's Cruises.

Edited by POA1

I hope RuthC comes along. She had the very best answer to this some time ago!

Some say just that the Collector's has one booking number, the B-B has two. You usually save a bit with the Collectors.

On the ships, in my own long experience with booking both ways, they are treated the same with the same perks. Of course, this being HAL, the ships do vary...................

Edited by SilvertoGold

We did many b-to-b's and many Collectors cruises.

B-to-b as stated above are two booking numbers.

Collectors cruises one number for the whole cruise and a small discount.

There were times we booked b-to-b and during the period after we booked and final payment date, HAL converted the booking to Collectors (without telling us :rolleyes:) and gave us a small discount. If we cancelled one segment of a b-to-b, we would have the option to still sail the other segment. If you have to cancel with Collectors, you have cancel the whole thing.

Edited by sail7seas

Some say just that the Collector's has one booking number, the B-B has two. You usually save a bit with the Collectors.

On the ships, in my own long experience with booking both ways, they are treated the same with the same perks. Of course, this being HAL, the ships do vary...................

It's probably her response I remember (but can't find).

I was just curious, because we're thinking about a cruise (well, 2 cruises), and didn't know if/how it would be considered. I'm not sure whether "Collector's Cruise" is a specific name given to certain cruises, or if it just meant more than one cruise booked together, as in a back to back. We're close to achieving our next star level and I didn't know if it would mean we would get some perks on the second cruise (2nd leg?) or not.

Collectors cruises are designated by HAL. There are many consecutive segments they offer as Collectors or one can book a single segment. You don't choose which can be Collectors but as I mentioned above, there were times HAL designated a b-to-b we had booked to be Collectors at a time after we booked.

There is really little differenced or advantage BUT for someone reaching new Mariner Star level during their cruise(s). If Collectors, you will not get the benefits of the higher level until your next cruise. If b-to-b, at least some people have reported here they got the benefits on the second cruise after reaching the new level during their first cruise.

If you have CCL stock, the difference between these two bookings may also affect your stockholder credit (for better or worse). You get $50 OBC on cruises of less than 7 days, $100 on cruises of 7-13 days and $250 on cruises of 14 days or longer.

For example, if you booked two 7 day cruises back to back you would get $200 ($100 times 2 cruises). However, if you booked these two cruises together on one booking number, you should get $250 (for 14 day cruise).

On the other hand, a 28 day cruise (2, 14 day cruises) booked back to back earns you $500 ($250 times 2), while a 28 day cruise booked together only earns you $250.

Confused yet??

If you have CCL stock, the difference between these two bookings may also affect your stockholder credit (for better or worse). You get $50 OBC on cruises of less than 7 days, $100 on cruises of 7-13 days and $250 on cruises of 14 days or longer.

For example, if you booked two 7 day cruises back to back you would get $200 ($100 times 2 cruises). However, if you booked these two cruises together on one booking number, you should get $250 (for 14 day cruise).

On the other hand, a 28 day cruise (2, 14 day cruises) booked back to back earns you $500 ($250 times 2), while a 28 day cruise booked together only earns you $250.

Confused yet??

Good point. :)

It is really up to HAL as to what they consider a Collector's Cruise. You can tell on HAL's site which cruises are considered Collector's by the length of the cruise and if you find that you do report back -- for instance -- to Ft Lauderdale to start the second segment of your cruise.

You have only one booking number for Collector's Cruises. Back-to-back cruises will have 2 and if you do a back-to-back-to-back you would have 3 booking numbers.

We have gotten a little discount when we book back-to-back cruises.

What Dave said about CCL stock and shipboard credit is correct. It also works the same with American Express Platinum shipboard credit.

I did? Good for me! :D

Unfortunately, I'm not feeling brilliant today. Fortunately, others have provided more than adequate explanations.

It's probably her response I remember (but can't find).

Yes, probably. ;)

IF the cruises are offered as a Collectors Cruise, then you need to know what the new perqs would be, and whether or not it's worth it to book the savings, or book as a back-to-back. That shareholder difference matters, too.

It's looking like the cruises we're interested in are a "regular" cruise and a Collector's cruise. Just starting our research.

We'd reach the next star level on the first cruise, so would additional perks kick in on the Collector's cruise? What's the likelihood of discounts on either/both cruises?

Too bad, we're not shareholders. What's the minimum shares we'd have to purchase to qualify?

Edited by Shmoo here

That shareholder difference matters, too.

Exactly. My next HAL cruise can be booked in variety of individual segments and Collectors cruises. Depending upon how it is booked means receiving $250 vs. $750 of OBC. The question became would the savings of booking collectors cruises be more or less than $500, or $250/pp.

It does pay to your homework between Collector Cruises and back-to-back cruises.

This past spring we booked the Zuiderdam for 2 cruises and boy did we make out on shipboard credit for both cruises.

Each Zuiderdam cruise we got the Explore4 package and $300 for each cruise. Each cruise qualified for the $300 American Express Platinum shipboard credit. Each cruise also got $100 shipboard credit from Carnival stock holder. Each cruise was booked using Future cruise deposits thus shipboard credit from that. And our TA gave us shipboard for each cruise.

It does pay to your homework between Collector Cruises and back-to-back cruises.

This past spring we booked the Zuiderdam for 2 cruises and boy did we make out on shipboard credit for both cruises.

Each Zuiderdam cruise we got the Explore4 package and $300 for each cruise. Each cruise qualified for the $300 American Express Platinum shipboard credit. Each cruise also got $100 shipboard credit from Carnival stock holder. Each cruise was booked using Future cruise deposits thus shipboard credit from that. And our TA gave us shipboard for each cruise.

Way to go, KK!!!!!

That is sensational!

Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked up Carnival stock - $52.80 a share. So I'd have to spend $5000+ in order to get (maybe) $500 in OBC? I doubt that's going to happen.

Well, that's true the first time you get OBC, but you can request OBC for EVERY Carnival Cruise brand ship you sail. We bought the stock in 2010 for $43/share and it went DOWN, after that. Just in the last year have we been in positive territory.

Just calculated our OBC since 2010, and it's at $1700 total so far. You also get dividends yearly. Probably not the best investment in a portfolio, but the OBC makes it fun to own if you travel on Carnival Company ships a lot!

Penny

GREAT..... Wonderful reading this. Good going. :)

A minor detail that I discovered when I booked our B2B (it wasn't offered as a Collector's until long after I'd booked) -- you won't be able to book excursions for the turn-around port until you're on board.

Collectors cruises are designated by HAL. There are many consecutive segments they offer as Collectors or one can book a single segment. You don't choose which can be Collectors but as I mentioned above, there were times HAL designated a b-to-b we had booked to be Collectors at a time after we booked.

There is really little differenced or advantage BUT for someone reaching new Mariner Star level during their cruise(s). If Collectors, you will not get the benefits of the higher level until your next cruise. If b-to-b, at least some people have reported here they got the benefits on the second cruise after reaching the new level during their first cruise.

I would qualify this to achieving your next level based on actual days sailed. If bonus days (spending or suites) are required, it takes time for those to post and you will most likely not get the benefit of the next level on the second voyage of B2B.

I would qualify this to achieving your next level based on actual days sailed. If bonus days (spending or suites) are required, it takes time for those to post and you will most likely not get the benefit of the next level on the second voyage of B2B.

Correct!

Denise:)