Need ideas for new cruiser gifts

Hi everyone,

Our family has planned a Med cruise in July 2016 to celebrate our parents' 50th anniversary. There are nine of us (6 adults, 3 kids ages 6, 8, 12) and we are all new to cruising and new to Europe, although we all travel domestically quite a bit. We're planning on giving trip-related gifts to each other for Christmas, and I'm looking for some insight from previous cruisers on some essentials we might need - for the cruise in general, or for Europe. We'll be spending a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise. Any ideas appreciated!

Sounds like a fantastic family cruise, Partridgeberry79! Although not essential, we like to take a few battery-operated candles for our stateroom. Adds a bit of atmosphere, as well as safety at night if someone has to get up. Place on the coffeetable, the bathroom countertop, out on the balcony. :)

That sounds like a great cruise.

A book about the places you will be seeing might be nice.

I do like the idea of the battery operated candles.

For the kids, items such as hats, sun glasses, camera (for the 12 year old), games or other items to keep them occupied on the flights might be things to consider.

Keith

This sounds like a lovely idea and will definitely everyone more excited for the cruise [emoji4] If it was me though I like to choose what "useful" items I take on board with me and wouldn't want to be ladened with stuff that I would feel obliged to take that I might not use. Especially if you have to fly with it all. Depending on your budget how about paying for an excursion or speciality restaurant or booking and paying for an activity while in Barcelona?

Ports bottles all around. July will be hot, need to keep hydrated. RFID wallets for the adults. Perhaps collect a list of travel hints from things you read on CC, and make them into a list or little booklet so they can be prepared. For instance, apply for passports early, hot to avoid pickpockets...EM

You can certainly get too many gadgets for folks to take.

My top three for Europe would be:

1). Neck passport holder

2). Plug adaptors for Barcelona - you can plug phones and iPad cords into these

3). Laminated folding map of Barcelona

For free gifts you can figure out how to download maps to folks' smartphones and tablets - http://www.barcelonayellow.com/barcelona/maps/city

I like to have a little Solar power / windup - AM/FM/NOAA weather radio.

Mine has a light in it and can be used to charge a cell phone if need be.

Like this = http://etoncorp.com/en/productdisplay/microlink-fr160

I Like to listen to local radio even if I don't know the language, I can still appreciate the Music. :D:cool:

What about an iTunes card or something similar so they can load books or games onto a phone or tablet?

If the kids are old enough and don't have their own tablet yet, but you are thinking about that sort of gift around that time frame-this might be a great time for such a gift. They could have their games, a camera, books, et cetera all in one place.

If anyone is looking for a camera, I want to highly recommend the Olympus Tough cameras. I got my first one almost 10 years ago and it still works like a charm. I have upgraded twice since then though to get one with better megapixels and more waterproof and shockproof range. It's a nice camera- point and shoot, but you can feel comfortable giving it to the kids and not worrying about them dropping it on the deck or knocking it into the pool.

It might even be worth looking into for the oldest child if you are considering a nice gift OR for your parents if looking for an easy camera that takes a good picture.

As to some less expensive gifts- maybe a travel journal? Some stamps and pens so your kids can send postcards back to their friends? Perhaps fun magnets in different colors for different family members? An over door organizer?

Like someone else said money and OBC are priceless. Maybe load their cards up with some extra spending money.

I don't know what office supply places you have where you are, but Staples had some really cute nautical themed notebooks and folders. I kept everything for my last cruise in my notebook and put in page protectors to hold my set sail pass, my passport and everything I would need when I first arrived.

Travel guides for your various ports.

Just be creative and have fun.

since cabins don't have clocks, we always take a travel clock with us.

I'm sure there must be travel books for children that you could get - this way they can see pictures and read about the exciting places they will visit.

Enjoy your trip! To me, there's nothing as exciting as traveling in Europe.

Marianne

A new set of light weight luggage with the new sizing requirements. My old suitcases weighed almost as much as the weight allowance. Maybe a new carryon as well.

Europe is know for some pick pockets in the major city areas. Try this website for tons of ideas http://www.pacsafe.com/

The back packs come in different sizes so the kids can wear them too. They have metal so are not easily cut and and are hard to get in to. Travel wallets for RFID protection and ease. Travel size shampoos, baby powder, hair spray and other toiletries.

Some Euros for the stockings (I get mine from the local coin dealer). Adapters and plugs if you are staying on land and have critical devices that must be plugged in (like a medical device). My mom blew up her breathing machine in Sydney. Fire - then an expensive rental that we were very lucky to be able to get.

I'd put together a fun package for the kids so they knew what to expect and maybe help in the planning of excursions and what there is to do on the ship. It is a long plane ride so maybe something to do on the plane and in the airport as well. Get some travel books from AAA.

Hi everyone,

Our family has planned a Med cruise in July 2016 to celebrate our parents' 50th anniversary. There are nine of us (6 adults, 3 kids ages 6, 8, 12) and we are all new to cruising and new to Europe, although we all travel domestically quite a bit. We're planning on giving trip-related gifts to each other for Christmas, and I'm looking for some insight from previous cruisers on some essentials we might need - for the cruise in general, or for Europe. We'll be spending a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise. Any ideas appreciated!

1. Before you do anything else, make sure everyone has a valid passport that will be valid for 6 months after the cruise. If not, get them renewed! Consider getting Trusted Traveler for everyone:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

Global Entry

This can save you a one to two hour wait to go through customs and immigration when arriving back in the USA. It also helps with pre-flight TSA security as you are usually pre-checked and go through a special line that is always shorter and don't have to remove shoes, belt, light jackets, even your laptop.

2. For a Med cruise, you should leave all valuables at home and only take the simplest of accessories - even buy an inexpensive watch, fake wedding ring and inexpensive earrings. Don't wear anything flashy or of any real value. All of the adults will need a way to hide your valuables on your persons AND protect them from pickpockets. Here is a line of clothing that is ideal for this. No one in your group should carry a purse or backpack when touring in Europe as these items are easy to pickpocket or snatch and you could get injured. Here is a line of clothing that is great for travelers in Europe:

http://www.scottevest.com/index_welcome_back.shtml

In Europe you will be judged by how you are dressed by shop personnel and restaurant employees and everyone else and treated accordingly. Dressing in sloppy jeans, t-shirts and sneakers or a track suit is NOT the way to make a positive impression. Also Europeans don't wear gym shoes unless they are in the gym, so skip those and bring a pair of walking shoes instead. You can wear nice jeans and a nice top, but often jeans are just too heavy to pack and better left at home. You shouldn't wear anything with an American logo on it or any slogan in English and also, you should be dressed nicely - I would describe it as business casual - to blend in and not look like a bunch of tourists. By doing this you can avoid making yourself the target of pickpockets as they will assume you may be foreign nationals living in Barcelona or wherever. I typically wear a sundress that covers my knees with a knit sweater (needed for touring in churches and cathedrals) and Ecco walking sandals. My husband typically wears walking shoes, trousers and a shirt with a collar.

http://us.shop.ecco.com/womens-sandals/

I buy the fully adjustable type of walking sandals as my feet and ankles swell on the plane and often also just from all the extra walking I do in Europe. Then for the ship, I have dressy sparkly Yellow Box shoes - which are soft and comfortable for my sore feet. Some travel socks are also good to have:

https://www.ameswalker.com/prodcat/shop-travel.asp?ne_ppc_id=1976&ne_key_id=123356851&ne_sadid=24634531752&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBoGn6TuL8UzNcQVs2XVmnSGcNqq6uhjbGurXmz8MNVcaAuLe8P8HAQ

If you insist on carrying a purse, then keep it in your lap if you sit down to eat somewhere, never place any valuables on the table, floor, another chair or dangling from your chair. If you insist on carrying a backpack, then wear it facing forward. But really, once you get the hang of going without a purse by using garments with concealed pockets or other travel wallets, I think you will prefer that. It's great to be hands free!

3. For navigation, use your smart phone app. Look here for more ideas about apps to help you:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/apps-for-travelers

It is best to never take a map out in Europe as it alerts all pickpockets and thieves that you are a tourist and likely carrying lots of cash. Before you go anywhere, look up the route in the privacy of your hotel room and memorize it, then activate the GPS on your smart phone and you will only need to check your smart phone once in a while to get where you are going. Or simply take taxis to avoid exposing yourselves to pickpockets as much as possible.

4. It is best to avoid public transportation in Barcelona including the HOHO bus. The pickpockets work the trains and buses ferociously and there are some of the most talented pickpockets in the world there. So another good gift could be a private tour that you arrange with a mini bus large enough for everyone. Oh and if some little old lady tries to hand you something - don't take it - make your kids aware these are gypsies who will then demand money. Another common con is people dropping something on your shoulder then acting like they are going to "help" you clean it off while all the while they are pickpocketing you. So don't be too trusting of strangers and keep a good distance between yourselves and them. It is also wise that everyone keep their voices low at all times so that people cannot hear that you are American. Here is more information on avoiding pickpockets. Always remember they are looking for tourists, so if you blend in as locals and have nothing obvious they can steal, you will most likely be ignored:

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-tourist/115-safety-barcelona-top-tips

5. Keep cash and credit cards in different places on your person. You might also hide your bank card below the lining of your husband's shoe for example, then put cash in a couple of different pockets and keep a credit card in a pouch or money belt under your clothes. Then, if you do get pickpockted, at least you will still have some money left.

6. Carrying credit cards in something that blocks RFID is also a good idea:

http://www.travelsmith.com/travel-accessories/security-bags-belts-wallets/#w=*&af=cat2:travelaccessories_securitybagswallets%20cat1:travelaccessories%20pagetype:products

7. Expect that some toilets you encounter will not have a toilet seat and come prepared. Also the floors in many public toilets are wet. (Another good reason for wearing thick soled walking sandals or enclosed shoes.) For this reason, I wear a dress or skirt instead of pants when touring in Europe. I also bring along tissues just in case there is no tp. In most ladies rooms, there is an attendant that you must tip so it is good to have some Euros in change for this purpose. In some areas you must pay the attendant before entering the restroom.

This is helpful for women:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Girl-Female-Urination-Lavender/dp/B003BEDUS6/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012836&sr=8-23&keywords=worlds+best+travel+pillow

8. A digital luggage scale such as this one is worth its weight in gold:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/digital-luggage-scale/1014704795?categoryId=12699

9.This is the best travel pillow I've ever found:

http://www.amazon.com/Skyrest-SkyRest-Travel-Pillow/dp/B000VKP6VW/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012649&sr=8-29&keywords=worlds+best+travel+pillow

I agree with the reviewer who said to put the U shaped pillow on top of this pillow and use the airline's pillow behind your back. You want to be wedged in there with this pillow, but once you get situated it works like a charm and you can get a decent nights sleep on a night flight. This is another device that is highly rated for sleeping on the plane:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Cloud-Nine-Travel-Pillow/dp/B0051UAQ5I/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P7JJTYVNX822XD7Y80W

This is another product that can help turn a row of 3 economy seats into a bed:

http://www.amazon.com/Homep-Inflatable-Mattress-Parent-child-Flocking/dp/B00QYMG3TU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_19?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NAD627V119ZBR4G4P27

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Seat-Extender-Perfect-Child/dp/B00S1U6DYS

which is smaller - less to inflate.

I'm thinking about your kids here as this may make it easier for them to sleep on the plane.

These are useful for brushing your teeth on the plane or in an airport bathroom:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wisp+disposable+toothbrush&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=61710968724&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18321574111382884192&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_g4nn7r7_b

9. In most foreign hotels, if you book a suite, you can usually get in your suite BEFORE the normal check in time. Being dressed nicely and behaving politely on arrival is helpful in encouraging the desk clerks to get you to your room ASAP. If you cannot get into your room on arrival, check your luggage with the bellman and then go somewhere. In Barcelona, we like Hotel 1898 because it has a roof terrace bar with daybeds you can hang out on while waiting to get into your room. There is also a pool up there. The best thing about the hotel is that in the basement, there is a spa with a water circuit and steam room and dry sauna that hotel guests are allowed to use for free. It is fantastic!

For the ship, bring Bonine in case of motion sickness (usually not a problem in the Med except when you have to tender).

In Europe you will be judged by how you are dressed by shop personnel and restaurant employees and everyone else and treated accordingly. Dressing in sloppy jeans, t-shirts and sneakers or a track suit is NOT the way to make a positive impression. Also Europeans don't wear gym shoes unless they are in the gym, so skip those and bring a pair of walking shoes instead. You can wear nice jeans and a nice top, but often jeans are just too heavy to pack and better left at home. You shouldn't wear anything with an American logo on it or any slogan in English and also, you should be dressed nicely - I would describe it as business casual - to blend in and not look like a bunch of tourists. By doing this you can avoid making yourself the target of pickpockets as they will assume you may be foreign nationals living in Barcelona or wherever. I typically wear a sundress that covers my knees with a knit sweater (needed for touring in churches and cathedrals) and Ecco walking sandals. My husband typically wears walking shoes, trousers and a shirt with a collar.

I'm a bit confused about how this relates to the OPs original question. However, "Europe" isn't one place and what is relevant in one place isn't necessarily the same as another. You'll be no more judged for what you wear in most parts of Europe than anywhere else (except the occasional church where a dress code applies). We've travelled all over Europe and worn our normal clothes (including American logos and English slogans). A group of 9 people travelling around the tourist areas of any city WILL look like tourists regardless of what they wear! Reducing the chance of being a target for pickpocketers is much more about having your wits about you and being aware of your belongings as anything else. Most people never have an issue.

1. Before you do anything else, make sure everyone has a valid passport that will be valid for 6 months after the cruise. If not, get them renewed! Consider getting Trusted Traveler for everyone:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

Global Entry

This can save you a one to two hour wait to go through customs and immigration when arriving back in the USA. It also helps with pre-flight TSA security as you are usually pre-checked and go through a special line that is always shorter and don't have to remove shoes, belt, light jackets, even your laptop.

2. For a Med cruise, you should leave all valuables at home and only take the simplest of accessories - even buy an inexpensive watch, fake wedding ring and inexpensive earrings. Don't wear anything flashy or of any real value. All of the adults will need a way to hide your valuables on your persons AND protect them from pickpockets. Here is a line of clothing that is ideal for this. No one in your group should carry a purse or backpack when touring in Europe as these items are easy to pickpocket or snatch and you could get injured. Here is a line of clothing that is great for travelers in Europe:

http://www.scottevest.com/index_welcome_back.shtml

http://us.shop.ecco.com/womens-sandals/

I buy the fully adjustable type of walking sandals as my feet and ankles swell on the plane and often also just from all the extra walking I do in Europe. Then for the ship, I have dressy sparkly Yellow Box shoes - which are soft and comfortable for my sore feet. Some travel socks are also good to have:

https://www.ameswalker.com/prodcat/shop-travel.asp?ne_ppc_id=1976&ne_key_id=123356851&ne_sadid=24634531752&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBoGn6TuL8UzNcQVs2XVmnSGcNqq6uhjbGurXmz8MNVcaAuLe8P8HAQ

If you insist on carrying a purse, then keep it in your lap if you sit down to eat somewhere, never place any valuables on the table, floor, another chair or dangling from your chair. If you insist on carrying a backpack, then wear it facing forward. But really, once you get the hang of going without a purse by using garments with concealed pockets or other travel wallets, I think you will prefer that. It's great to be hands free!

3. For navigation, use your smart phone app. Look here for more ideas about apps to help you:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/apps-for-travelers

It is best to never take a map out in Europe as it alerts all pickpockets and thieves that you are a tourist and likely carrying lots of cash. Before you go anywhere, look up the route in the privacy of your hotel room and memorize it, then activate the GPS on your smart phone and you will only need to check your smart phone once in a while to get where you are going. Or simply take taxis to avoid exposing yourselves to pickpockets as much as possible.

4. It is best to avoid public transportation in Barcelona including the HOHO bus. The pickpockets work the trains and buses ferociously and there are some of the most talented pickpockets in the world there. So another good gift could be a private tour that you arrange with a mini bus large enough for everyone. Oh and if some little old lady tries to hand you something - don't take it - make your kids aware these are gypsies who will then demand money. Another common con is people dropping something on your shoulder then acting like they are going to "help" you clean it off while all the while they are pickpocketing you. So don't be too trusting of strangers and keep a good distance between yourselves and them. It is also wise that everyone keep their voices low at all times so that people cannot hear that you are American. Here is more information on avoiding pickpockets. Always remember they are looking for tourists, so if you blend in as locals and have nothing obvious they can steal, you will most likely be ignored:

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-tourist/115-safety-barcelona-top-tips

5. Keep cash and credit cards in different places on your person. You might also hide your bank card below the lining of your husband's shoe for example, then put cash in a couple of different pockets and keep a credit card in a pouch or money belt under your clothes. Then, if you do get pickpockted, at least you will still have some money left.

6. Carrying credit cards in something that blocks RFID is also a good idea:

http://www.travelsmith.com/travel-accessories/security-bags-belts-wallets/#w=*&af=cat2:travelaccessories_securitybagswallets%20cat1:travelaccessories%20pagetype:products

7. Expect that some toilets you encounter will not have a toilet seat and come prepared. Also the floors in many public toilets are wet. (Another good reason for wearing thick soled walking sandals or enclosed shoes.) For this reason, I wear a dress or skirt instead of pants when touring in Europe. I also bring along tissues just in case there is no tp. In most ladies rooms, there is an attendant that you must tip so it is good to have some Euros in change for this purpose. In some areas you must pay the attendant before entering the restroom.

This is helpful for women:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Girl-Female-Urination-Lavender/dp/B003BEDUS6/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012836&sr=8-23&keywords=worlds+best+travel+pillow

8. A digital luggage scale such as this one is worth its weight in gold:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/digital-luggage-scale/1014704795?categoryId=12699

9.This is the best travel pillow I've ever found:

http://www.amazon.com/Skyrest-SkyRest-Travel-Pillow/dp/B000VKP6VW/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1440012649&sr=8-29&keywords=worlds+best+travel+pillow

I agree with the reviewer who said to put the U shaped pillow on top of this pillow and use the airline's pillow behind your back. You want to be wedged in there with this pillow, but once you get situated it works like a charm and you can get a decent nights sleep on a night flight. This is another device that is highly rated for sleeping on the plane:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Cloud-Nine-Travel-Pillow/dp/B0051UAQ5I/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P7JJTYVNX822XD7Y80W

This is another product that can help turn a row of 3 economy seats into a bed:

http://www.amazon.com/Homep-Inflatable-Mattress-Parent-child-Flocking/dp/B00QYMG3TU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_19?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NAD627V119ZBR4G4P27

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Seat-Extender-Perfect-Child/dp/B00S1U6DYS

which is smaller - less to inflate.

I'm thinking about your kids here as this may make it easier for them to sleep on the plane.

These are useful for brushing your teeth on the plane or in an airport bathroom:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wisp+disposable+toothbrush&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=61710968724&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18321574111382884192&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_g4nn7r7_b

9. In most foreign hotels, if you book a suite, you can usually get in your suite BEFORE the normal check in time. Being dressed nicely and behaving politely on arrival is helpful in encouraging the desk clerks to get you to your room ASAP. If you cannot get into your room on arrival, check your luggage with the bellman and then go somewhere. In Barcelona, we like Hotel 1898 because it has a roof terrace bar with daybeds you can hang out on while waiting to get into your room. There is also a pool up there. The best thing about the hotel is that in the basement, there is a spa with a water circuit and steam room and dry sauna that hotel guests are allowed to use for free. It is fantastic!

For the ship, bring Bonine in case of motion sickness (usually not a problem in the Med except when you have to tender).

Wow Suite Traveler - all she asked about were gifts not how to act or what to wear. About the only thing I would agree with you is the passport stuff. It is a personal choice to bring a back pack or a purse and even though YOU choose not to I don't think I'd be a fool to do so as you make it sound. Maybe Europeans don't wear sneakers but I'm not going to buy a new wardrobe so that my being a tourist isn't obvious. I can almost guarantee you most Americans will stand out just by their mannerism and speech.

I'm a bit confused about how this relates to the OPs original question. However, "Europe" isn't one place and what is relevant in one place isn't necessarily the same as another. You'll be no more judged for what you wear in most parts of Europe than anywhere else (except the occasional church where a dress code applies). We've travelled all over Europe and worn our normal clothes (including American logos and English slogans). A group of 9 people travelling around the tourist areas of any city WILL look like tourists regardless of what they wear! Reducing the chance of being a target for pickpocketers is much more about having your wits about you and being aware of your belongings as anything else. Most people never have an issue.

The way my comments regarding attire fit with the OP's question about gifts is that they need some anti-theft items (money belt, possibly some clothes to protect their valuables, etc.) These are gifts they can buy each other. If they wear business casual type clothes, they will be treated with dignity and respect pretty much anywhere and won't look like tourists. By dressing right, they can blend into the fabric of European society. They will probably be taken for expats who live in the countries they are visiting. It is not unusual for large family groups to do things together in Europe.

I have lived in 3 European countries and I am married to someone from yet another country. Because of this, I know a few things most Americans don't about how we are perceived. Dressing right and behaving in such as way as to blend in makes a huge difference in how you are received in any venue in any country in Europe. It can make the difference between getting a good table or being denied entrance to a restaurant. It can make the difference between a salesperson being willing to serve you and being ignored or even made fun of. It can make the difference between pickpockets singling you out as a tourist who is probably carrying a lot of cash and them thinking you are local expats.

In addition, there are many out there seeking to harm Americans and others from English speaking countries. Not too long ago, there was a terrorist plot to behead some random Australian citizens in Sydney and Brisbane to make international news. If this could happen there, it could happen in any city in the world:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-inspired-beheading-plot-alleged-in-australia-6-in-custody-1.2769754

Wearing something obviously American could make you a target if such a terrorist is present in your vicinity. Why take the risk of being singled out when you can wear something else that doesn't identify where you are from?

BTW, in August 2013 the year to date total of reported Barcelona pickpocket incidents was 115,055 - but that is only REPORTED thefts the actual thefts and attempts would probably be ten times that. So not sure where you get the idea that most people never have an issue. If there are 1 million+ pickpocketing attempts per year that's a fairly significant number of people having problems.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/category/pickpockets-by-country/spain/tip/barcelona-and-madrid

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/spain/Barcelona-Pickpocket-Capital-of-the-World

Forget all this fear-mongering nonsense and baloney about dressing to some phoney standard. Some of these people on CC had me so scared before my fist Med cruise I spent hours sewing "secret" pockets into all my clothes - complete waste of time. As for walking around all day with a credit card in your shoe, really? And how do you produce it when you need to pay? No matter how carefully you dress, you'll look like a fool if you have to take your shoes off every time you pay.

As to gifts (which was your question). For the kids, a hangable toilet kit with travel-size toothpaste, travel toothbrush, bandaids, sunscreen, wipes, hairbrush, hand sanitizer, etc. Depends on their ages what you put in there. You can also adjust this for the adults. Hangable is important, because the bathrooms are small, and everybody's kit can't be sitting around on the tiny counter.

Inexpensive, but very useful, are magnetic things. The walls in the cabins are metal-lined, and there's a lot of real estate on those walls. I have business-type clips from Staples that stick on the walls. They can hold everything from the daily newsletter to sunglasses, hats, necklaces. You could buy each person a couple of magnetic clips, and personalize them with different color paint or stick-ons. Magnetized games, puzzles, or letters for making messages would also be fun and useful.

An overall plasticized map of the area with a grease pencil or erasable marker would be good, so everyone can see where they are, and where they are going. A star map for the area, for late-night stargazing at constellations that are not where they are in our part of the world. A simple book of Greek and Roman myths, gods and goddesses that everyone can read (or read aloud to each other), to explain the stories behind the sculptures and temples. A subscription to Netflix and a list of classic movies to watch (Never on a Sunday, Three Coins in the Fountain, Roman Holiday, Zorba the Greek, etc).

Have a wonderful cruise, and don't be made fearful by the nonsense posted by some here. It's a wonderful thing your family is doing together, and it's a wonderful part of the world. Enjoy every minute of it.

When giving gifts to first time cruisers we like to give Cruise Journals so if they decide to write a few lines every day/ night about their adventurers that have something handy.

You can even make them yourselves. Buy plain journal found at the dollar stores embellished with stickers and with alphabet stickers you can add the ship's name and date of the cruise.

Don't forget to include a pen. Sometimes one of those funny looking character pens kids like is also fun to include with the journal.