Summit to Bermuda Weather Concerns

sunshine7410

This is the high season for tropical storms and hurricanes. I doubt they will change the itinerary. I believe that some cruise lines sailed to Bermuda during super storm Sandy. I don't know how they could change the itinerary other than going the Canada/New England route.

Doubt if they would do that for the storm currently near Bermuda. But if they did change the itinerary, it would be nice to let everyone know, so you could pack accordingly.

Don't think this storm is a problem right now but they will do everything they can to avoid the story.

Rerouting to Canada did happen a few years ago and people were not real happy. This was later in Sept. and no one was told until they were on board. Also, they were not given the opportunity to cancel.

Don't think this storm is a problem right now but they will do everything they can to avoid the story.

Rerouting to Canada did happen a few years ago and people were not real happy. This was later in Sept. and no one was told until they were on board. Also, they were not given the opportunity to cancel.

Wow, that is a drastic change and I would be upset if I had warm weather close heading north in Sept. Well, hopefully this wont be an issue.

They explain in the cruise contract what their options are. Changing destinations is their call. Remember that some times they only have a day to make a decision due to changing storm tracks and most of the time it will be the local port authority closing the port to all shipping.

Yes, of course I'm aware that it's high season for storm activity. I was just curious as to how celebrity handles such activity. Thanks!!

We where scheduled to leave on the Summit when hurricane Irene was coming up the coast. We received a email from Celebrity that our cruise would be delayed by one day. We were refunded for one loss day and also received a little OBC.

Last year they changed the Summit to Port Canaveral/Nassau when there was a storm brewing around Bermuda. It was around this time of year.

I have already let my parents know that if a storm pops up, there's a good chance we'll end up heading to Florida and the Bahamas.

It appears that a tropical storm is forming around Bermuda. Concerned there will be rough seas and stormy days in Bermuda once we arrive. Does anyone think that the Celebrity might change the itinerary?:(

Yes, they will change the itinerary, if the weather becomes too threatening. Last year, the cruise before ours (Summit to Bermuda) was diverted -- at the very last minute -- to the Bahamas. The next week, our cruise (and Bermuda) had perfect weather! That's the opposite of our recent May Summit cruise. We arrived in Bermuda to gale-force winds (not hurricane-related), which did not leave until after we did! :eek: With Bermuda, you just never know!

Edited by wwcruisers

That's the opposite of our recent May Summit cruise. We arrived in Bermuda to gale-force winds (not hurricane-related), which did not leave until after we did! :eek: With Bermuda, you just never know!

UGH, wasn't that terrible. I still cannot believe for 3 straight days we had horrible weather.

I am sailing 8/30 - hopefully weather will improve and will have just as nice sailing as last year - last Bermuda sailing. My friend from FL is coming on this cruise with me - she would be absolutely :mad: if we end up going to Port Canaveral, which is 20 min from her house......would not be a good thing...

I am sailing 8/30 - hopefully weather will improve and will have just as nice sailing as last year - last Bermuda sailing. My friend from FL is coming on this cruise with me - she would be absolutely :mad: if we end up going to Port Canaveral, which is 20 min from her house......would not be a good thing...

Fair winds, and following seas, Isabella! Enjoy your cruise. :)

I think the OP might be referring to the tropical low that is near Bermuda that has a 60% chance of developing in the next 6 days.

Hurricane Danny is no where near Bermuda.

oh,

sorry about confusing the two, but this time of year a storm is a storm is a storm to me...

Steve

They DO, on occasion, and have, altered the itinerary based on weather.

Last August relatives of mine were on Summit to Bermuda when a potential storm made them alter and go to Bahamas instead of Bermuda.

A few years ago, we were on a cruise to the Western Caribbean. We knew there was a hurricane out there. On the first sea day just prior to the nightly show, the Captain made an announcement that the ship was now going to do an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Very little notice.

About 10 years ago we took a 7 days on Princess - western, got on the ship and were advised that due to the storm we will be going eastern. End up with 5 days at sea with no storm in sight and one stop in the Bahamas.. At lease weather was nice and sea was calm.

Last year when the Summit was diverted to Fl and Nassau because of a hurricane, a significant number of passengers on the ship were livid and demanding refunds.

I can not understand that. Celebrity is not responsible for the weather. They are responsible for your safety. I would be very grateful if they deemed it necessary to divert and did so. So what if it wasn't where you planned to go?

When you choose to cruise, I assume it is not merely to get to a specific destination, but to enjoy the cruising experience.

One sandy beach looks just like another sandy beach in the long run.

It appears that a tropical storm is forming around Bermuda. Concerned there will be rough seas and stormy days in Bermuda once we arrive. Does anyone think that the Celebrity might change the itinerary?:(

There are no warnings or advisories for Bermuda at this time.