3 part Alaska question - time of season, rear facing balcony rooms, meal pkg on land

michmike2

Getting ready to do our 1st Alaska cruise next Summer. Looking at Noordam on Sept 6 w/ the land portion 1st. Any advice re that timing? Any advantages to going earlier in the season? Or downsides to going toward the end?

Also looking at our 1st rear facing balcony roon (VC on Navigation Deck) any pros or cons on rear facing balconies in general?

Also looking at the meal pkg for the land portion. It's $399 per person for 10 meals, which works out to $40 per meal. Seems a bit steep when 5 of those meals are breakfasts. Any advice pro or con?

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Getting ready to do our 1st Alaska cruise next Summer. Looking at Noordam on Sept 6 w/ the land portion 1st. Any advice re that timing? Any advantages to going earlier in the season? Or downsides to going toward the end?

Late May/early Sept are the best times in Alaska - the weather can be perfect, and the crowds are smaller.

Also looking at our 1st rear facing balcony roon (VC on Navigation Deck) any pros or cons on rear facing balconies in general?

We don't like them (we want to see where we're going, not where we've been :) ) but many swear by them.

Also looking at the meal pkg for the land portion. It's $399 per person for 10 meals, which works out to $40 per meal. Seems a bit steep when 5 of those meals are breakfasts. Any advice pro or con?

It seems high, but prices are much higher in Alaska (and Hawaii). Still, you'd probably do better on your own.

We have done all 4 of our Alaska trips in May & we have experienced great weather . When the tundra thaws out you get the state bird ,the mosquito .There are 25 varities of mosquitos in Alaska .you also get black flies later in the seaso which bite .

Rear facing balconies are fun to watch the wake & 180 degree view .

Google "discount books in Alaska " .There are 2 of them & you can view the coupons on line to make your decision . $40 per meal is steep & I would skip that ,especially with 5 breakfasts .

We never did a ships tour & stayed one time 10 days driving from Seward to Fairbanks .We rented the car in Anchorage . do your own planing & you will get far more out of it than a canned ships tour .Alaska is the USA & thus much easier to plan . Tip just north of Denali Ntl Pk is the Denali Lake View Inn(over looks beautiful Lake Otto ,on your private balcony ,a 3 star ,AAA bed & breakfast ;which his so fabulous .There is a ATV place next door & we used one of the discounts there (2 for one) .It was a blast to ride around rhe tundra on a 4 wheel Rhino . Consider doing your own land trip with a car rental once in Anchorage . Go to the American Native Center & don't miss the Anchorage Zoo .Spend time at Denali to see MT McKinley summits on a clear day

Get to Prince William sound & take the boat ride(two for one in the discount books ) which is so awesome & with the boat ride you get entry to the animal rehabilitation center .See all the native animals including musk ox ;)

What ever you decide enjoy & have fun doing your alaska journey:)

June and July have potential for better weather and have longer days. Earlier in the season you will see more snow in the mountains and you have less chance of rain. September will have shorter days and possibly fall colors. Trips into the park are limited to the road opening ....usually the 2nd week of June and I'm not sure when it closes in September. Check the nps.gov website for Denali National Park road opening and closing dates and other information.

Aft balcony is good.

Meal package on land portion is expensive but food in general is expensive in Alaska. The meal package will limit your choices as to where you will eat to the hotels and the train. For maximum convenience the meal plan would be ok but you might enjoy choosing where you want to eat.

Edited by oaktreerb

Only thing I can comment on is the meal package. Meals (in restaurants) in Alaska are quite pricey. We opted not to do the meal package on our cruise/tour. Mostly because, between the included meals (there were a few) and the excursions that had meal while on them, we found that we were already eating at least one big meal a day, and some days there were two.

We're not big eaters, so we went to the grocery store in our first land stop and purchased sweet rolls, juice, fruit, granola/trail mix. Between the grocery stop and the already included meals, we had plenty. I think we actually only purchased (out of pocket) something like 2 or 3 meals during our 12 day land tour.

Now, that may not work for everyone, I know there are those who are much bigger eaters than we are, but it worked for us.

We have cruised to Alaska in September three times and found the weather to be fabulous or awful. One September it was absolutely charming with cool sunny days. One September it was warm and windy. And the last September we sailed it rained five out of the seven days. But... the crowds are smaller, the attention is greater, and Alaska is brilliantly gorgeous.

Have never done the land portion, so I don't know about that.

Aft Balconies in Alaska - love them! We adored having all that space to ourselves and seeing the panoramic grandeur of Alaska all around us. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We went in August and have no opinion about the season or the rear facing balcony. I can say that we were happy not to have the meal plan. We were in Anchorage one night and ate at the Glacier Brewhouse for 20 to 25 pp. The next AM we had breakfast at a deli around the corner from the Westmark Hotel for about 6 pp before heading to Denali.

When in Denali we had breakfast daily at the coffee counter at the Mckinley Chalet Resort and all our dinners over at the Base Camp Restaurant in the Princess Lodge.It was much better, more popular, and more reasonably priced than the dinner options at the HAL lodge.

We do not eat big meals and thought our choices were much better than the meal plan.

Have fun!

Late May/early Sept are the best times in Alaska - the weather can be perfect, and the crowds are smaller.

We don't like them (we want to see where we're going, not where we've been :) ) but many swear by them.

It seems high, but prices are much higher in Alaska (and Hawaii). Still, you'd probably do better on your own.

We don't like aft cabins for the same reason. Found not seeing where we were headed to be frustrating. Also, always have thought meal packages were expensive, but we are not big eaters.

June is superior to Sept. Weather is better, people dealing with tourists are fresh and bushy tailed, and days are much longer.

You are correct in doing the land portion first!!! It is so nice to unpack one time on the ship. I also suggest using the ship's laundry service upon arriving at the ship.

I have done this trip several times and suggest not buying the meal package. Breakfasts (even in the hal hotels cost less than $35. Dinners are banquet food. There are other options for meals in the hotels and at other places to eat.

One year I was on a September Alaska cruise and the weather was gorgeous. The staff said it was the best all season. But that is rare. I have also been there in September when there was a lot of rain.

Personally, I prefer the days in mid-late June, and the first part of July---the time around the Solstice. Those days are longer, and the sunsets lingering. The weather tends to be better, too.

Oh, I agree that you should do the land portion first. It is exhausting, even for someone with stamina, and you will need the cruise portion to recover. ;)

Appreciate the advice from all of you, esp based on the length of time many of you have been part of this forum and that you are long time HAL travelers.

Went ahead today and booked the trip, starting w/ the land portion in Fairbanks on 9/6 of '16 and heading back on the Noordam which we have not been on before (10 cruises w/ HAL thus far). Ended up taking the rear facing balcony and foregoing the meal plan. Figured the only way to see if we enjoy the rear facing was to try it one time.

Now starts the research about excursions etc. If there are any that you feel are a "don't miss" we'd appreciate that info as well.

Just recently moved to FL so looking forward to the last minute FL resident offerings that we have heard good reports about. Maybe a trip or 2 in the time between now and next Sept.

Smooth sailing to all.

Totally agree with 1 and 3.

On the other hand, we are in the aft cabin lovers camp. Took us quite a few "normal" balconies before our first aft and only book them now. Give it a try!

DH and I did this Land/Sea cruise and we loved it. Did write a review - here is the thread connection.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060257

I discussed the meal plan in that review. Hope it helps you.

Okie1946

Statistically August is the start of the wet season going into September. If you did not hear.... Skagway and Juneau where hit by strong storms this week..... some ships were unable to dock in Skagway.

I prefer July for warm Cascadia weather and dry weather in Alaskan ports. Yep... prices are higher in July than September too.

Statistically August is the start of the wet season going into September. If you did not hear.... Skagway and Juneau where hit by strong storms this week..... some ships were unable to dock in Skagway.

I prefer July for warm Cascadia weather and dry weather in Alaskan ports. Yep... prices are higher in July than September too.

Prices are higher in July (and August) because kids are out of school. And, you seemed to say that while the weather is good in July, freak storms can occur. So, basically, it's a crap shoot.

On our half dozen Alaska cruises (in April, May, June, July & Sept) the best weather was in September, but late April was also a lot of fun (we got snow!)

In our opinion with 4 times in May to Alaska by ship & land ,prices are lowest in May .Weather is usually fabulous & far less crowds because kids are still in school . :D . little rain & no mosquitos:D .The days are long enough in May with lots od sundhine:D

The discount books in Alaska bring tour prices to reasonable levels ;because they are generally 2 for one pricing .Google "discount books in Alaska" ;)

We love Alaska & can never get tired .Our next trip is to focus on the Kenai Pen. with ferry trips to Valdeeze & Kodiak Island ;):D

Doing it your self driving in the interior gives much more time & relaxed to see things in depth vs a guided tour bus laded with 55 passengers

Several years ago I went to Alaska in September and it had already snowed. There was virtually no wildlife viewing. It was really cold. However, that was before the global warming of the last 10 years, so it's probably unlikely to happen again. You can never predict weather. I like to go in July, but I've had rainy days there in mid-summer.

Aft cabins are always nice, but keep in mind that they are noisy especially if you're on a lower deck. Surprisingly, the wake produces a lot of sound. Some love it and some hate it. I've had an aft balcony where we had to raise our voices to talk to each other. Also, some people really like to watch sailing into a port and you don't really get a good view for that. OTOH, the sailaway is usually awesome. Also, in Alaska, it is probably nice to have an aft balcony because a lot of wind is blocked back there. Depending on the ship, aft balconies can have good privacy.

I know nothing about land food packages.

May is generally the driest month in AK. Last May, we had not one drop of rain on our cruise but it can and does change quickly. Another plus for May is that the locals are really ready to see you as they make a lot of their annual income during Cruise season. The shops will be fully stocked and all the vehicles will be in as good a condition as they will get for the season. In September, supplies are being used up and people are getting ready for us all to leave them alone again. After all, if you like crowds, you would not live in AK in the first place.:D

We are in the love aft cabins camp. So far, have never had it too windy to enjoy the balcony in an aft cabin. Also, in Glacier Bay, the ships will rotate 360 so all balconies get a view.

Can't speak to the food issue but it seems high to me as well. One thing to look into is are there alternatives? I know on the Princess land portions, you only stay at Princess facilities. Might even be higher with pay as you go. As others have said, AK is special. Probably more repeaters taking these cruises than anywhere else.

The meal package for our 8 day land portion was a little lower than yours, at $349 pp. We did not purchase the meal plan, as we thought we could cheaper.

By the time you rolled into town at 6:00 pm, we were ready to eat. Not scramble around town and try to find a restaurant that didn't have an hour wait, so we generally ended up at the hotel restaurant. They were large enough to accommodate the hordes of people from the coaches.

Breakfasts were in the $15-18 range, lunches were pretty non-existent because you were on the move (maybe a cookie, a cup of chili, a cold sandwich, etc). I believe we had 3 included lunches (1 was a buffet of sandwich and salads along the Yukon River at Minto ?) 1 was a sandwich and chips on the Yukon Quest Riverboat, and the last was a hot miners beef stew with biscuits and desert. The rest of the time you better have chips, or nuts or cookies or something to munch on in your day bag.

Dinners were in the $25-28 range at the hotels and usually consisted of a buffet, but with the vouchers, you could order off the menu too, it didn't have to be the buffet.

When all was said and done, we figured we had spent right around the $350 for meals. We wished we had purchased the meal plan just for the convenience and no hassle searching for someplace to eat. In Whitehorse, we went to three restaurants with huge waiting lines, another restaurant recommended was closed, finally after an hour of searching, went to a Subway for soup and sandwich.

Now if you are a light eater, you might fare better. We wanted a large breakfast (as there weren't a lot of stops for lunch) then by dinner time we were starving. I do have to recommend the diner on the Denali Dome train. My goodness, were we surprised to have the best Prime Rib dinner we've ever had for $28.

Enjoy your trip to Alaska, it is an awesome destination!