A PRO Explore 4 Thread

InTheWASide

It should be obvious why I didn't use an existing thread just by reading the subject...

I'm actively pursuing the possibility of a 14 day cruise right now and was looking at Explore 4 vs non-Explore 4 rates.

For the non-suite categories (inside through highest verandah) there is a difference of $400/pp or $800 total.

For that $800 I get a dinner for 2 in the Pinnacle Grill (I'm 3 star so I would get 25% off otherwise but I get why they can't fuss with that on a nearly fleetwide promo like this) So that leaves $742 additional upsell if you assume I bought PG dinner for 2 regular price.

$742 divided by 14 is $53/day for the 2 of us. Let's assume I only drink the most expensive stuff covered by the beverage package. $53 divided by 8 is $26.5 or about 3 and a fraction drinks.

That's reasonable if you figure maybe something poolside and a couple glasses of wine with dinner.

But when you figure maybe there's a cappuccino in the morning, a couple bottles of water picked up for visiting the ports each time, a soda or 2 with lunch on several days, maybe a nicer coffee with my dessert and a couple drinks if I'm up late in the piano bar or wherever then it's a total STEAL and absolutely worth it.

Now in the suite categories it's another $200/pp to get a $300 total OBC and a Canaletto dinner for 2. So you get some cash onboard and another dinner but it dilutes the bargain of the drink package a touch as you're technically paying more than what you are getting EXTRA in the suite categories (on the flipside though you're getting a suite now, double mariner days, more space, maybe Neptune Lounge depending on category... so there's pros there as well... and thank you I'm fully aware you get those with the room and not the Explore 4 upsell)

I have no issue with paying that extra if we decide to do the cruise. Our bar bill for ALL beverages of all kinds both alcoholic and non could easily WELL exceed $600 over 14 days.

Maybe the math doesn't figure like this on all cruises, but at least on the one I'm considering I don't really see what the problem is unless you only drink the free beverages on the ship and/or can't figure you would spend $26.50/day per person on varying beverages

Edited by InTheWASide

When I was considering between the signature package and the beverage cards, I went through a similar exercise. By the time we each had an espresso drink in the morning, a bottle of water to take onshore (offset by possibly taking a refillable), a sparkling water at lunch or a glass of wine/beer/margarita, a mocktail or umbrella drink in the afternoon by the pool, a pre-dinner cocktail or soda, after dinner drink, it was looking like a pretty decent but not great deal. I went with the beverage card because of the wine issue. Their included wines were too unknown to me. When Explore4 came along, I exchanged the beverage cards and two reserved dinners and came out ahead with the onboard credit. I can still sort out the wine and be at least even. Like you said, it works quite well for some cruises! I'm happy to have it.

Very good analysis - it all depends on the math, like you say. Thank you for the excellent explanation.

Unfortunately, I don't get to do the exercise, as the trips I am looking at for early 2016 don't offer it.

Our 24-day cruise next May/June (really two 12-day cruises) was an additional $60 pp to include Explore 4. With the additional $300 OBC from Explore 4, it was a no-brainer. I also looked at booking the two 12 day cruises separately, including all the variables, and booking the two 12 day cruises would be an additional $550 total. I'm happy especially since the TA (one of those on-line, big box stores) is kicking in $1300 of OBC. (yes, I am an accountant.)

Thanks everyone.

I had been seeing a lot of posts that just demonize it right away or complain that the price goes up some to include it. (I know... crazy thought... your favorite cruise line is a business, not a charity) but as I hadn't been considering a HAL cruise that fell in the realm of Explore 4 I didn't really follow any of it closely. Once our focus changed to maybe include an applicable sailing I broke it down (and I'm not even a 'math person') and as I don't go the whole cruise almost exclusively with free beverages it's an amazing deal.

Wanted to make sure that side of the promo got some light as well :)

It doesn't work for me as I drink almost no soda or specialty coffees. I do enjoy a glass (or two ;) ) of wine but I don't like the Carolina wines offered that fit the price limit. HAL will not credit the $8 and let the guest pay anything higher but rather charges the full price for a wine that I prefer by the glass. I can understand they put a price limit but there are so few choices for glasses of wine I think they should deduct the $8 and charge the balance to guest's account.

I would get no benefit from Explore 4.

Edited by sail7seas

OP, you are quite correct that one has to do the math to see if the Explore4 is worth the extra cost (if there is one). I've had the E4 on two cruises now, and while we are not big drinkers, we have taken advantage of the promotion. Of course, not to the full 15 drinks, but what we drank was FREE, in both cases.

For our upcoming 2016 cruise, the E4 promo would have cost us an extra $300 each plus we would have lost our Anniversary sale perks, which amounted to another $230 each. As one of us is now 4 star, we can get better wine with a wine package at 50% off, and we can purchase our one or two alcoholic beverages a day at Happy Hour. We also will get 50% off of specialty coffees and minibar purchases.

Therefore, the cost of $530 each, it's not worth it to us to get the E4 this time. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll stop trying to get it. I could transfer my booking from the PCC to a TA and still get both (I think; I haven't tried yet). If not, we'll probably stay with what we have. And that will be just fine.

I think everyone needs to do their own cost/benefit analysis. OP for you it is a decent deal. For us, it would really depend on the price difference. As my DH doesn't drink, and my favorite adult beverage is wine, we'd need to drink a lot of specialty coffee and bottled water for it to make sense for us. As this thread seems to indicate, there is no "one size fits all" answer. For some it is good or great. For some, there isn't enough benefit. If you are one of the ones for who it is "good or great", good for you :D Actually EXCELLENT for you.

We have a booking that has a drink offer included and I really hope the price goes down enough that we choose to lose the drink offer. But that is just us.

Thanks everyone.

I had been seeing a lot of posts that just demonize it right away or complain that the price goes up some to include it. (I know... crazy thought... your favorite cruise line is a business, not a charity) but as I hadn't been considering a HAL cruise that fell in the realm of Explore 4 I didn't really follow any of it closely. Once our focus changed to maybe include an applicable sailing I broke it down (and I'm not even a 'math person') and as I don't go the whole cruise almost exclusively with free beverages it's an amazing deal.

Wanted to make sure that side of the promo got some light as well :)

We feel the same way! It worked out to our advantage also. With our up coming Med cruise we booked our suite onboard got OBC which will cover our stewards daily 13.00 a piece each day, added Explore 4 and will purchase Admirals wine package at 50% off since we just got our 4 STAR on our March cruise we did.

Wished we took advantage of it prior on our last Med cruise.

As stated it has to work for you!

Have a great sailing on your cruise!

Denise:)

The beverage package is a huge bonus for us. We aren't huge drinkers at home, but on vacation, it's a real treat for us to try different drinks, have specialty coffees, wine with dinner, a liqueur. This is a really important perk for us, and as long as the price for the cruise is something we can live with, we book it. Not having to do the math and wonder what our tab will be at the end is a big bonus for us, and a very nice bonus to our vacation.

I personally really like the direction HAL is going with the "less formal" formal nights and the drink package offerings. I think they are moving in a new direction and attracting a different demographic. I know these changes make HAL even more attractive to us.

Our 14 day Alaska cruise next year went up a total of $600. However, we have a suite so we will get $300 OBC and a pinnacle and a canaletto dinner for 2. That takes it down to a total of $222. Divide that by 14 and it comes out to $15.86 per day or one drink a piece. With coffees, soda, water, juices, etc. also included, you know I jumped at it.

It is nothing more than a straightforward math exercise for us.

We compare the cost to our estimated benefit. Not a difficult choice really.

The same for us. Sometimes it works out great, other times not so much. One thing I know, cruises with a lot of sea days work better (for us) with the Explore 4. Some of our cruises have been so port-intensive, we're off the ship more than on. :D

Our 14 day Alaska cruise next year went up a total of $600. However, we have a suite so we will get $300 OBC and a pinnacle and a canaletto dinner for 2. That takes it down to a total of $222. Divide that by 14 and it comes out to $15.86 per day or one drink a piece. With coffees, soda, water, juices, etc. also included, you know I jumped at it.

We are newbie cruisers and were just looking at itineraries one evening and saw the drink package and the OBC for suites and just pushed the "buy cruise" button without overthinking. Looks fantastic for our lifestyle - the coffees, the sodas, the house wines and the dinners - wow. It's going to be a long year until August 15th...but probably enjoyable. Thanks for doing the math for us, gone2c - just reinforces the good idea we had that that evening.