Feeling some kind of way right now...Short Rant!

R<3M2012

Most/many call centers now use home agents, no requirement to work in the office. A case in point, the famous Kathy that pops up on the NCL site asking if you would like some help, are all/almost all home agents. Many are members here. I tested at one time and did just fine, but decided against it.

Most call centers are pretty stressful jobs. They want a lot and offer little. Someone is always watching and measuring.

Not to change subject or hijack but speaking of pop ups the I find the pop up (the one that ask you to sign up for emails) that comes up right before you select your sail date very annoying.

I would love to work for RCCL now that I am retired! I don't live in Miami or where any of their call centers are so I guess not.:( Would be fun as a part time job.

When I retire and if I lived near one or could work from home I'll totally do this also.

I have found that most NCL phone reps are incompetent. There are a few competent ones within the bunch, but it's impossible to figure out who is and who isn't, because they all answer you with such authority and quickness.

But you'd be surprised at all of the ridiculous things I've been told when I've called to ask questions, which turn out to be completely false.

Two days prior to my first NCL cruise in 2013, I was confused about the "bring your own soda onboard" policy, as I didn't know if there was a "checked bags" limit for NCL, and if soda boxes would count as bags. So I called NCL and a rep told me that she was "certain" you are allowed to only bring one case of soda or water at a time. She then said that you were allowed to repeatedly get on and off the ship, bringing one each time, but that's what I had to do if I wanted to get more than one onboard.

This seemed ridiculous, and I asked to speak to her supervisor. After 15 minutes waiting on hold (!!), she came back and said told me that she checked with her supervisor, who "verified" what she told me. I asked why I wasn't transferred to that supervisor as I asked, and was told that he was "busy". When I asked to be transferred anyway, I was put on hold and she didn't return.

When I spoke to a manager the next day, I was told that there were no supervisors at that office at that time, and that the rep had simply lied about checking with one. They pulled the recording of the call and told me that they were very sorry about what happened, and that indeed I had been lied to and purposely left on hold for long periods of time on purpose.

In reality, you are allowed to bring on as much soda as you want, and they will check it for you the same way they check bags.

They gave me a free "birthday" package for my wife as compensation for this mess.

And just in case you think this was a one time gaffe, last year I had issues getting the website to print my eDocs (kept saying they weren't ready, even a few days before sailing), and I had to go through 5 different reps before I got one who gave me the correct answer and fixed the problem. Everyone else gave me their best guess which they pretended was what they knew for sure, and had I taken their advice, the eDocs never would have been ready. When I questioned these answers, I was treated like a jerk for not believing them.

Bottom line: Independently verify everything NCL phone reps tell you.

I have found that most NCL phone reps are incompetent. There are a few competent ones within the bunch, but it's impossible to figure out who is and who isn't, because they all answer you with such authority and quickness.

But you'd be surprised at all of the ridiculous things I've been told when I've called to ask questions, which turn out to be completely false.

Two days prior to my first NCL cruise in 2013, I was confused about the "bring your own soda onboard" policy, as I didn't know if there was a "checked bags" limit for NCL, and if soda boxes would count as bags. So I called NCL and a rep told me that she was "certain" you are allowed to only bring one case of soda or water at a time. She then said that you were allowed to repeatedly get on and off the ship, bringing one each time, but that's what I had to do if I wanted to get more than one onboard.

This seemed ridiculous, and I asked to speak to her supervisor. After 15 minutes waiting on hold (!!), she came back and said told me that she checked with her supervisor, who "verified" what she told me. I asked why I wasn't transferred to that supervisor as I asked, and was told that he was "busy". When I asked to be transferred anyway, I was put on hold and she didn't return.

When I spoke to a manager the next day, I was told that there were no supervisors at that office at that time, and that the rep had simply lied about checking with one. They pulled the recording of the call and told me that they were very sorry about what happened, and that indeed I had been lied to and purposely left on hold for long periods of time on purpose.

In reality, you are allowed to bring on as much soda as you want, and they will check it for you the same way they check bags.

They gave me a free "birthday" package for my wife as compensation for this mess.

And just in case you think this was a one time gaffe, last year I had issues getting the website to print my eDocs (kept saying they weren't ready, even a few days before sailing), and I had to go through 5 different reps before I got one who gave me the correct answer and fixed the problem. Everyone else gave me their best guess which they pretended was what they knew for sure, and had I taken their advice, the eDocs never would have been ready. When I questioned these answers, I was treated like a jerk for not believing them.

Bottom line: Independently verify everything NCL phone reps tell you.

Oh geez. All these stories I'm going to need to double and triple check things in regards to my own booking. Traveling with family in December and one of the uses cpap machine in which needs distilled water to operate. Aunt happy that she doesn't have to pack the water with her. I was informed that NCL will provide the water but the rep couldn't give me more info on if we request it from room steward once we board or will it be in the room waiting for us? Can anyone on here shead some light on how it works?

Edited by R<3M2012

Oh geez. All these stories I'm going to need to double and triple check things in regards to my own booking. Traveling with family in December and one of the uses cpap machine in which needs distilled water to operate. Aunt happy that she doesn't have to pack the water with her. I was informed that NCL will provide the water but the rep couldn't give me more info on if we request it from room steward once we board or will it be in the room waiting for us? Can anyone on here shead some light on how it works?

If you contact the Accessibility Assistance Department 1-866-584-9756 they can make the arrangements for you and a large bottle of water will be waiting for you in the cabin as well as a letter from the Access Officer. If the water is not there just give the Access Officer a call. In the case of neither being in the cabin then just contact the front desk and they will be able to get it all straightened out for your aunt.

Important to note that it is highly recommended to bring your own extension cord, a small one should do. These cords can be in limited supply on the ship and your aunt does not want to be faced with not being able to connect her CPAP.

Hope this helps.

Rochelle

If you contact the Accessibility Assistance Department 1-866-584-9756 they can make the arrangements for you and a large bottle of water will be waiting for you in the cabin as well as a letter from the Access Officer. If the water is not there just give the Access Officer a call. In the case of neither being in the cabin then just contact the front desk and they will be able to get it all straightened out for your aunt.

Important to note that it is highly recommended to bring your own extension cord, a small one should do. These cords can be in limited supply on the ship and your aunt does not want to be faced with not being able to connect her CPAP.

Hope this helps.

Rochelle

It sure does help thank you!

I have found that most NCL phone reps are incompetent...Bottom line: Independently verify everything NCL phone reps tell you.

Last April, two different NCL phone reps assured me that there's a door to the studio area directly across the hall from cabin 11158 on the NCL Getaway (the deck plan shows a doorway there too).

Based on this, I booked two cabins for my family: balcony cabin 11158 plus a studio room near the supposed door to the studio area. When we boarded the ship, that "door" turned out to be a wall, and our two "right across the hall from each other" cabins turned out to be...not so much.

At least the NCL phone reps don't have a monopoly on the clueless department. When we explained the problem at Getaway's Guest Services desk, the rep disappeared for a while. He returned with a printout of the incorrect deck plan on which he had highlighted the short trip between the cabins through the non-existent door, proudly exclaiming "I've found a solution!!"

It's the NCL call center. It's not the travel agency. You use the call center when you know exactly what you want. They tell you if they have it. You use a travel agent (find a good one) when you need expertise in the area of travel you're interested in taking. In some cases, you get a better deal a travel agent.

You do know that people don't need actual travel experience to to take travel reservation orders of customers. Its helpful but not necessary to perform the job - just need telephone customer service skills and how to click screens on a computer to do it, that's all. If you want case in point - India and most of the US customer support. ...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Actually, one of the largest dot com sellers of cruises does not want anyone with travel experience. They only want order takers. So, if you wonder why customer service sucks...

Last April, two different NCL phone reps assured me that there's a door to the studio area directly across the hall from cabin 11158 on the NCL Getaway (the deck plan shows a doorway there too).

Based on this, I booked two cabins for my family: balcony cabin 11158 plus a studio room near the supposed door to the studio area. When we boarded the ship, that "door" turned out to be a wall, and our two "right across the hall from each other" cabins turned out to be...not so much.

At least the NCL phone reps don't have a monopoly on the clueless department. When we explained the problem at Getaway's Guest Services desk, the rep disappeared for a while. He returned with a printout of the incorrect deck plan on which he had highlighted the short trip between the cabins through the non-existent door, proudly exclaiming "I've found a solution!!"

I don't know how they fit in the clueless category since the deck plans were wrong. I wouldn't expect anyone to know every nook and cranny on any ship, much less the Getaway.

I don't know how they fit in the clueless category since the deck plans were wrong. I wouldn't expect anyone to know every nook and cranny on any ship, much less the Getaway.

The clueless part was the Guest Services rep showing us the incorrect deck plan with the nonexistent door as the solution to our problem when we'd just told him "the problem is that the deck plan is incorrect. It shows a nonexistent door."

For any the booking process is relatively straight forward once you decide what you want.

Where a good interface(TA,PCC,random call) becomes essential is dealing with changes,

Changing cabins/Getting price drops,

free/low cost upgrades, OBC or refunds, retaining benefits, seems very hit/miss depending on how good your contact is.

In the UK you need someone that can bypass the NCL change charges.

Changing cruise(either your choice or the cruise lines).

seems some people can cancel and move Cruise rewards with ease others seem to have problems, again getting change fees waived is a bit hit/miss.

Look at the recent ship relocations/itinerary changes imposed by NCL on those already booked, some got sorted quickly and efficiently others are having loads of problems.

Even those in the UK where the law requires full cover for losses when the cruise line imposes changes some are having to fight for their rights to get things like air change/cancelation charges covered.

The clueless part was the Guest Services rep showing us the incorrect deck plan with the nonexistent door as the solution to our problem when we'd just told him "the problem is that the deck plan is incorrect. It shows a nonexistent door."

Yes, I realized that after I'd posted my reply (but too late to amend it):o.

Ok so I have read on here a few times that the agents on the other end of the line have very little travel knowledge. At that time I took it with a grain of salt and kind of sort of didn't believe it......UNTILL.....I saw on my Facebook a girl I know who is now posting like crazy that's she's a Personal Cruise Consultant for Norwegian Cruise Line.

"HUH" (Scratching My Head) with a frown on my face as I read her post. I'm so confused NCL you hired a girl ( as sweet as she is) that has NO travel experience...Hasn't even stepped one toe out of the country (not even a whole foot just a toe).

NCL how could you expect I ( we'll definitely NOT me) poor unsuspecting victims to turn over our hard earned money to someone who's not well versed in travel' date=' someone who has NEVER sailed, (not just your cruise line....any cruise line...Not even the Circle Line!!!)

NCL No wonder every time I call with a question or issue I end up more frustrated and confused than to begin with.

Moral of the story...Do It Yourself otherwise you'll end up talking to my sweet clueless dear friend.

End Rant. (that felt good to let that out)[/quote']

Glad it made you feel better. Now, welcome to the travel and hospitality world. Do you think the reservation person you talk to when booking your air or the gal/guy at the central hotel reservation center is a seasoned traveler as a rule? No. The sales reps and that is what they are have gone through some sort of training to know the computer system and the product to some degree. Once in awhile you will get a truely experienced agent. They can be worth their weight in gold, but they too, started out inexperienced. With travel agents it is the same. There are outstanding ones and their are many who decided to go into the industry cause it sounded like a fun job. That being said, unless a person is an experienced traveler and loves doing a lot of research, it is better to use an agent.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I think the training they receive is much more important than their personal travel experience, but from what I've read the training doesn't appear to be that great either (I am one of the forunate ones that has never really had an issue with a PCC or call center person).

This is so true. In my travel industry experience and I have quite a bit, I worked for a major hotel chain. We had 4 weeks of extensive training, both learning the computer and learning the product. When an a new agent went out of the floor they had all types of support information from literature to someone to depend on when they needed help. Of course some did have a lot of travel experience as well, which is wonderful, but there are good agents who have not traveled. Our daughter, when in college became a part time agent for a major airline. I don't think she had been a plane more than 2 or 3 times and that was short 1 hour flights. Eventually she worked her way up to a VP level with the company. Since then, with a lot of experience behind her, she owns a travel agency franchise. Our younger daughter took the same path in college, and after, 25 plus years is still an agent. That has been her choice.

PCCs are not travel professionals. They are call center workers. To think they know anything about travel is absurd. They can look up NCL cruises and have access to a little bit more information than the general public, but not a lot. To think that they know anything special is ludicrous.

Your opinion is that it's absurd to think PCCs know [anything] about travel? Wait what? Huh? It would be one thing to state that they are trained in the area by NCL but another to say that it's absurd to think that the person who is arranging air travel, ground transportation, and cruise knows nothing about travel. My expectation would be that they would know much more than me to help me maximize my experience. If not, then what is the value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your opinion is that it's absurd to think PCCs know [anything] about travel? Wait what? Huh? It would be one thing to state that they are trained in the area by NCL but another to say that it's absurd to think that the person who is arranging air travel, ground transportation, and cruise knows nothing about travel. My expectation would be that they would know much more than me to help me maximize my experience. If not, then what is the value?

The PCC is paid to get you to purchase an NCL cruise. Period. If you want a travel professional, contact a good travel agent. Unless you know exactly what you want, a travel agent is your only option. If you are depending on your PCC to give you any advise, other than cabin locations and NCL rules, you're missing the boat.

The PCC is paid to get you to purchase an NCL cruise. Period. If you want a travel professional, contact a good travel agent. Unless you know exactly what you want, a travel agent is your only option. If you are depending on your PCC to give you any advise, other than cabin locations and NCL rules, you're missing the boat.

Which begs the question, why use the word "consultant" for a Personal Cruise Consultant. "NCL booking agent" would seem more appropriate. NCL causes a lot of the confusion by referring to their call center folks as "consultants."

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

consultant

noun con·sul·tant \kən-ˈsəl-tənt\

: a person who gives professional advice or services to companies for a fee

: a hospital doctor of the highest rank who is an expert in a particular area of medicine

Although I understand the OP's point- you would want someone experienced taking your call, just because someone is new and inexperienced doesn't make them a bad worker.

I have had mostly good experiences calling in general to do upgrades- although one time I totally came accross a newbie who talked me out of upgrading from a studio (probably because they didn't know how to- in that instance I politely say I have another call and call back)

One person I spoke to knew if the bed was near the window or not- that was good info. It all depends who you get, but in general I am going to book last minute to avoid any calls to do upgrades

So basically you're saying they add no value. I found this to be true with my arrogant PCC. I had my booking transferred to a big box store and they are great (and $500 less at the time).