Good to know if NCL cruise is cancelled

ejincali

Over time travel insurance is a losing proposition.

Otherwise insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Not to mention I know several people who had legitimate claims denied.

Buy insurance company stock. They have a licence to steal.

Pass on travel insurance.

If you never have to use the insurence it's a loss but once you need it, it can pay back hundreds of times you haven't used the insurence.

Most people never have to use the insurence and because of that the insurence companies can be in business.

My credit card covers me for cancelling the trip for sickness/death in the family/ weather issues, airline issues, cruise line issues. My health insurance covers medical evacuation even international. I don't need additional travel insurance beyond that - though I do not have "cancel for any reason" insurance. The only thing I'm concerned could happen that I'm not insured for is an emergency with my pets right before the cruise that would make me want to stay home.

If your health insurance covers medevac flights from another country than you have excellent insurance indeed.

I've traveled for decades without insurance (and without incident) and finally started buying it - mostly because of Medical Evac. We purchase insurance through World Nomads. For our Baltic cruise next year for 3 week's worth of coverage, the cost is about 1 1/2 percent of the total cost of the trip for a FAMILY plan. Totally worth it. I agree that you must purchase insurance when or close to when you book your trip!

If your health insurance covers medevac flights from another country than you have excellent insurance indeed.

You also have to dig down into the details on insurance. Even if you have coverage in a foreign country, you may not have coverage "on the high seas."

I couldn't find a plan that did cover medical costs originating while "on the high seas". There might be one out there, but its a challenge even finding out if your policy covers it. That portion of the medical trip, from the ship to shore, may not be covered even if your insurance covers you in, say, Costa Rica.

I travel multiple times per year, where I buy an annual travel policy. Very cheap for what it covers. If someone travels even a couple times per year, nonUS, it may be worth looking into.

I find it "very interesting", the above credit card coverage- is so atypical. IF it's available, I would think there would be a LOT of people claiming they had it etc- which you don't see?

You also have to dig down into the details on insurance. Even if you have coverage in a foreign country, you may not have coverage "on the high seas."

I couldn't find a plan that did cover medical costs originating while "on the high seas". There might be one out there, but its a challenge even finding out if your policy covers it. That portion of the medical trip, from the ship to shore, may not be covered even if your insurance covers you in, say, Costa Rica.

If they don't specifically exclude it than it's covered, so the policy would need to exclude coverage for medical costs originating while on the high seas for them to not pay it. I know that the US Coast Guard, the organization responsible for transferring patients from ship to shore in waters close to the US, does not charge a fee for said transfer. I am not certain about other countries.

If they don't specifically exclude it than it's covered, so the policy would need to exclude coverage for medical costs originating while on the high seas for them to not pay it. I know that the US Coast Guard, the organization responsible for transferring patients from ship to shore in waters close to the US, does not charge a fee for said transfer. I am not certain about other countries.

Most of what I have read follows the general guidelines in this story: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/20/does-my-health-insurance-work-outside-of-the-united-states/

Some insurance covers "emergencies" but not other health care. The devil is in the details to see what they consider an "emergency" and what is considered just an illness or minor accident.

So you have to check, and make sure, not only about the foreign country but also "on the high seas". Most health insurance does not cover people on the high seas, but may have some coverage in a foreign country.

Medicare has no coverage outside of the US. Absolutely none. Medical evacuation is very rarely covered by any insurance policy, according to the State Department: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/health.html

Then there's the unfortunate possibility of dying on board. It's rare, with an estimated 3 passengers a week dying over all the lines. If you sail a closed loop cruise beginning and ending in the US then bringing the body of a deceased loved one isn't too much of a problem. They keep it in the ship's morgue until you return. You can make arrangements after getting back into port in that case, and you're only out a few thousand dollars for flying the body back home. If you are elsewhere in the world, repatriation of remains is rarely covered by your medical insurance and can run $10,000 +. CC has a pretty good article on it at http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/articles.cfm?ID=1631

Most of what I have read follows the general guidelines in this story: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/20/does-my-health-insurance-work-outside-of-the-united-states/

Some insurance covers "emergencies" but not other health care. The devil is in the details to see what they consider an "emergency" and what is considered just an illness or minor accident.

So you have to check, and make sure, not only about the foreign country but also "on the high seas". Most health insurance does not cover people on the high seas, but may have some coverage in a foreign country.

Medicare has no coverage outside of the US. Absolutely none. Medical evacuation is very rarely covered by any insurance policy, according to the State Department: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/health.html

Then there's the unfortunate possibility of dying on board. It's rare, with an estimated 3 passengers a week dying over all the lines. If you sail a closed loop cruise beginning and ending in the US then bringing the body of a deceased loved one isn't too much of a problem. They keep it in the ship's morgue until you return. You can make arrangements after getting back into port in that case, and you're only out a few thousand dollars for flying the body back home. If you are elsewhere in the world, repatriation of remains is rarely covered by your medical insurance and can run $10,000 +. CC has a pretty good article on it at http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/articles.cfm?ID=1631

Yes, the devil is in the details and those details have to be specifically laid out in the policy. I know that is the law here in Vermont (and if they are selling me a policy the policy must comply with that law) and it is my understanding that pertains to most other states also. The policy must clearly define what constitutes an "emergency".

The points that you bring up are exactly why I purchase travel insurance- while my individual health plan may cover some of the costs I know that many costs are not covered, but are by the travel insurance that I purchase (I try to find a travel insurance provider that will serve as primary but can't always manage that, which means that I have to submit claims to my own insurance first {health, home owners, etc.} and then submit the uncovered items to the travel insurance policy).

My medevac coverage on my health plan (Federal BCBS Basic) covers getting me to an appropriate hospital that can treat my condition. (Paraphrasing here, I'll look back at the policy later to get specifics). The devil in the details there is it doesn't necessarily get me home. It gets me to a capable hospital. I'm pretty okay with that but I will think it over some more.

I will also go back and read the policy for "high seas" issues.

As far as credit card coverage, most people don't bother reading the fine print of the extra benefits when you sign up for the card. I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I went back to double check the coverage. It would not cover flights if a cruise line cancelled the cruise. I'm actually booked on Amtrak this cruise and I have refundable ticket but that's good to know for future cruises. It would cover the cruise line cancelling for weather, strike or insolvency though. It just wouldn't cover "because they felt like it."

Here is the lingo in the summary. I have actually read the full policy.

Travel Protection*

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

AUTO RENTAL COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER

Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.

TRAVEL ACCIDENT INSURANCE

When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000.

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/credit-card-benefits.htm

Here is the full guide for anyone interested:

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphireVW1

I also like their pre-existing condition definitions. You are allowed to take maintenance medicine and not void your policy. You just can't be treated for an issue within 60 days of traveling and have that issue covered. Taking a medication for a condition that is in remission doesn't make that condition not covered.

Edited by Fitzyk23

Here's the blurb from the FAQ on my health insurance:

Do I have benefits for evacuation?

Our Worldwide Assistance Center offers emergency evacuation services only to the nearest facility that is adequately equipped to treat your condition. Benefits are not available to transport you to a facility in the United States unless it is the closest facility that can provide adequate treatment. Benefits are not available for evacuation in the event of a natural disaster.

Going back to my credit card coverage, it does include trip cancellation or trip interruption due to mechanical failures.

Here's the blurb from the FAQ on my health insurance:

Do I have benefits for evacuation?

Our Worldwide Assistance Center offers emergency evacuation services only to the nearest facility that is adequately equipped to treat your condition. Benefits are not available to transport you to a facility in the United States unless it is the closest facility that can provide adequate treatment. Benefits are not available for evacuation in the event of a natural disaster.

Going back to my credit card coverage, it does include trip cancellation or trip interruption due to mechanical failures.

That's the rub right there- you only get coverage for transport to the US if it's the closest to provide adequate coverage and there are many hospitals in the Caribbean that provide adequate treatment (at least as defined by an insurance company). The other thing to keep in mind is what if you still need medevac transport after you have received treatment? For me spending $120 to make sure I'm covered is a small price to pay.

The other thing to keep in mind with the card coverage is that typically only kicks in if you've paid for the trip with that card (at least as I understand it).