Christmas decorations ( Explorer and NZ )

My wife would like to know if and when the ships start putting up Christmas decorations. We are sailing on Explorer of the seas leaving on December 2nd.

Also does anyone know if there are any good Christmas decorations or displays in Auckland, Wellington or Dunedin that are worth looking at?

Cheers,

Dave

Christmas displays vary from town to town and year on years. A couple of years ago the Wellington City Council saved money by not putting up decorations and got pilloried for it. Last year they went over the top. Unfortunately most decorations apart from street flags revolve around lights at night and you guys sail around 6.00pm so you wont see anything. Sydney, down at darling Harbour however go all out

Christmas displays vary from town to town and year on years. A couple of years ago the Wellington City Council saved money by not putting up decorations and got pilloried for it. Last year they went over the top. Unfortunately most decorations apart from street flags revolve around lights at night and you guys sail around 6.00pm so you wont see anything. Sydney, down at darling Harbour however go all out

The other displays in Wellington were at the Dept store called Kirkaldie and Stains, (where the shuttle bus stops), but they have closed down now , having been taken over by David Jones who are in the process of rebuilding , and the store will not be open till sometime next year.

Department Store displays are sadly not what they used to be. There should be some good ones in Sydney and Melbourne . With everyone shopping in the Internet , looks like Christmas as we knew it is cancelled. What a shame for the children.

Auckland has a huge Santa Claus put up in Queen Street, but only if public minded citizens come forward and pay for it. Last year it almost did not happen.:eek:

In Auckland, there were some large inflatable decorations above the Whitcoulls store on the corner of Queens Street (main shopping street). Santa and two reindeer. If you walked past you couldnt miss them. They were the only ones we saw but we were in Auckland first week of Jan so if there were any others they would have been taken down by then.

We've cruised a lot in that few weeks before Christmas (in fact all but one cruise) they seem to put them up in the week or two before Christmas, so I think 2 Dec may be a bit early, but if it's a two week cruise they may o up on the at day or two ( but more likely they'll do it on turnaround day).

We've cruised a lot in that few weeks before Christmas (in fact all but one cruise) they seem to put them up in the week or two before Christmas, so I think 2 Dec may be a bit early, but if it's a two week cruise they may o up on the at day or two ( but more likely they'll do it on turnaround day).

In the shopping malls they seem to go up earlier and earlier each year. Christmas came to Westfield last year in mid Nov ..:D:D

Sorry to be negative but the big ship's decorations aren't much. The decorations on the Rhapsody were lovely but on the voyager - it was just a big Christmas tree on the promenade. Disappointing compared to Rhapsody.

For us the cruise before the Xmas cruise has had the decorations up. Yes Rhapsody was great and Radiance was too. Guess we'll find out on the 2nd :)

In the shopping malls they seem to go up earlier and earlier each year. Christmas came to Westfield last year in mid Nov ..:D:D

Big W up the street had some trees out the other week, not sure if they were trying to cash in on the surge in Christmas in July or just shows how early they are starting now.

I bags apply for the job of putting up the decorations on the ships..:D

When we were on Diamond once they brought out box after box of decorations from storage somewhere on the ship and a team started putting them all up over the next 2 or 3 days. They had been flown out especially from the States and I guess they stayed on board till they were taken down as they would have to be properly packed and stored away again ready the next year. :):)

I bags apply for the job of putting up the decorations on the ships..:D

When we were on Diamond once they brought out box after box of decorations from storage somewhere on the ship and a team started putting them all up over the next 2 or 3 days. They had been flown out especially from the States and I guess they stayed on board till they were taken down as they would have to be properly packed and stored away again ready the next year. :):)

On at least two of our Christmas cruises they have actually bought special teams on to do it. One celebrity [last year] and one princess [a few years ago]. Did it on turnaround day in Sydney, I assumed they just either hired the decorations or stored them in Sydney somewhere.

Diamond Princess was superbly decorated last year for its New Zealand cruise. The atrium has many white and some green Christmas trees and all stairs and hand rails were festooned in lights. Carol singing on Christmas Eve and a large net of balloons released at midnight on New Year's Eve ensured a most enjoyable cruise - so much so we're on the Dawn Princess Christmas cruise this year.

One year on Diamond Princess they had a snow making machine. It was at the top level of the Atrium and at the Carol Service , they had it going and it snowed on everyone below.:):)

I think it was detergent bubbles , but it looked very effective as it wafted over everyone.

One year on Diamond Princess they had a snow making machine. It was at the top level of the Atrium and at the Carol Service , they had it going and it snowed on everyone below.:):)

I think it was detergent bubbles , but it looked very effective as it wafted over everyone.

Cool.

We were on Radiance in 2014 in late November and they put the decorations up overnight during the cruise - tree, garlands, lights etc - very pretty.

That's what we are hoping for on Explorer in December... I guess we will find out in 99 days time.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any pictures to share of the Christmas decorations on Voyager of the seas?

Do they go all out on this ship with decorating? Or do they just put a tree up on the Royal Promenade?

Also we're going to be on her for a 13 night cruise on 5th December this only 11 days away do you think the decorations will be up at this time or is it too early?

Many thanks in advance for any pictures or any information you can all share. I'm getting really excited now and can't wait for the Meet and Mingle either!

Positive Paula :)

Does anyone have any pictures to share of the Christmas decorations on Voyager of the seas?

Do they go all out on this ship with decorating? Or do they just put a tree up on the Royal Promenade?

Also we're going to be on her for a 13 night cruise on 5th December this only 11 days away do you think the decorations will be up at this time or is it too early?

Many thanks in advance for any pictures or any information you can all share. I'm getting really excited now and can't wait for the Meet and Mingle either!

Positive Paula :)

Paula, we are on the cruise before you, that gets back 5th December, so will let you know if any decorations are up:)

Chez

Ok Thanks so much Chez! Hope you and everyone you are sailing with has an extra awesome time. Wishing you calm seas and blue skies. Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise when you get back, and perhaps seeing some pictures if you take any and can share them.

Thanks again,

Paula :)