Carnival vs Celebrity: A comparison

Velvetwater

You and I have had very different experiences. After our first Carnival cruise, we gave up on cruising completely. "If this is what the cruise experience is, it isn't very good" is what I felt when finally getting off that ship. My husband agreed. It was over a dozen years before we tried another cruise at the insistence of a couple we often vacationed with. That time it was on Disney Magic. We were blown away at the difference. Much more refined, much better service, better food, better amenities, no more garish cheap Las Vegas type of decor, and just as important, a much better class of people. We have since cruised every year, and on several different cruise lines. But you will never catch us on another Carnival cruise again. It is by far the furthest from what I consider a good cruise product than any of the others we have tried since. Celebrity remains our favorite, with five cruises so far.

The old saying definitely fits: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We have several friends who know about our interest in cruising. All are continually puzzled as to why we like this type of vacation. Everyone of them tried a Carnival cruise as their first experience, seduced by the constant Carnival advertisements that make their ships appealing. Some are couples in their 50s and 60s, and others are singles between 25 and 40. All of them have zero interest in trying cruising again - a feeling we also had after our experiences with Carnival - and continue to wonder what we find appealing about it.

We also have several other friends who decided to take their first cruises on Celebrity, HAL or Princess. All continue to cruise to this day, some of them occasionally with us. Some prefer Princess, some HAL, while we prefer Celebrity. It was these friends who convinced us to try cruising again. And we all agree that Carnival is not for us.

Of course, this is an unscientific sampling, but it does tell me that the people who we consider friends, if Carnival was their first experience, it resulted in not wanting to cruise again. Those that started with more upscale lines had an experience that had them wanting more, and they continue to cruise to this day.

Since I value the opinions of my friends, that tells me all I want to know about ever considering Carnival again. And is the very reason why I found this thread on the Celebrity board and not on the Carnival board, where I have no desire - or reason - to spend time on. ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

We have sailed both lines - two totally different cruiselines and honestly - I don't think one can compare one to the other - Its like comparing a Travel Lodge to a Ritz Carlton.

Carnival - odd experience - 14 nights B2B

Leg 1- we added this one after we had booked leg2- Leg2 we had a suite but on leg1, no suites available so we had a basic balcony - I mention this as someone else pointed out experiences can be better in suite class.

So leg 1 - an 8 day - it was a more expensive cruise - we were in a basic balcony. We had a fantastic cruise - great people, food, ambience - just one of those cruises you remember and value. We are still friends with people we met there even now some five years later.

Leg 2 - moved to a beautiful suite - same ship - same crew - then - we got our chance to meet the "Walmart experience" .

We are Scottish and live in a tiny wee world so the people watching gave it a really high score in entertainment value. We saw it all , from the loud farting/burping tank top wearing family (I swear the dad was the nutty professor) - to the drunk middle aged women falling (urm not very gracefully) off the bar stool - to the rednecks buying cans of coke and bringing out the JD from their beach bags - wigs, clothing (or lack of) in all various shapes and assortment- wow - it was wonderful comedy

Had we only experienced leg 2 on Carnival - no - I doubt we would cruise again - as laughable as it was - it was madness at sea

Being in a suite on Carnival btw meant nothing more than a bigger space. There were no perks I can remember - just a bigger room.

The food was as before (fine in general) and as we had been on a B2B - (there were less than a dozen of us doing B2B) we got to know many of the crew/officers - in fact, got on so well an officer arranged for our daughter and husband to come on board for the day when we docked in Grand Cayman - (which is generally unheard of but at a tender port - even tougher on rules!) - but he found out we had not seen our daughter for six months - and this one day visit - was like our xmas day -so he brought them all on board for us and made our day very special indeed.

How can we not love a cruiseline which went out of their way for us like this huh! Incidentally before anyone asks - this was arranged two days in advance - they had to call the ship with their driving licence numbers and were checked out beforehand - they still went through a good security check before being allowed to board the ship.

But two difference cruises for sure. It was the people - not the cruiseline itself who made the cruises different. The ship and crew were terrific - yes, the crew - especially the bar crew - are a bit rough around the edges - I don't think they would get away with half of the antics they do on other ships.

But same ship, same crew - two cruises, two worlds apart.

PAX made the cruise - not the ship and not the crew...

If its anything like P&O UK - don't blame you!

Only ship we have done the "packing the suitcase to get off dance" :D

We were packed ready to leave after two days. Discussed leasing a helicopter with our tablemates who felt the same!

We were packed ready to leave after two days. Discussed leasing a helicopter with our tablemates who felt the same!

I so get this lol!

We actually had the opportunity at check in to leave - they had double booked our mini suite - we were given an oceanview (no balcony) and some OBC - we were packed - at southampton and actually checking in when we were told -

We took it rather than lose our precious time out

It went from bad to worse - we dined every night out of seven in their so called "speciality" restaurant - same menu every night and same surcharge of course..

We wrote to complain and they more or less implied our custom was not particularly wanted - They certainly offered no real apology...

never ever again will I cruise on ANY British cruiseline again

American or European is the only way to cruise!

Unless you love Butlins

Carnival is in fact a step UP from P&O!

Even with the walmart brigade :eek:

Edited by Blondie008

I just hope the OP understands that Carnival in Europe and Carnival in the USA will be two totally different experiences.

Still the same horrid decor, though. Any cruise line that thinks the decor in the following photos is de rigueur is still going make for a lousy product.

Yikes! My head hurts just looking at these photos. What the heck were they thinking???? :confused:

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH

4b_wine_bar_2.jpg

CARNIVAL SUNSHINE

carnival-cruises-3.jpg

CARNIVAL PRIDE

crucerum-galeria-2012_07_04_13_29_12_000000_5304-100x100.jpg

CARNIVAL LEGEND

legend022.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

He must be visually impaired. :D

Think he watched too many 50's movies of Jules Verne books!

Have never travelled with Carnival and never would with decor like that!

I assume that they all do not look like that?

Edited by scifimonkey

I just hope the OP understands that Carnival in Europe and Carnival in the USA will be two totally different experiences.

Sailed both from Florida,USA and from Dover, UK with Carnival with not a massive difference tbh apart from our Europe cruise having more Brits on board but the majority of the passenger base still being from the USA. Although both cruises were 12+ days.

I do find Carnival decor garish on the ships that have been 'farcussed' but I am a bit indifferent to decor after the first day...especially when theres the sea to look at. I understand he is no longer head architect for Carnival and is concentrating on Costa.

The Breeze and Sunshine (not been 'farcussed') have a more toned down look which is where they seem to be heading at the moment. To me the decor is more modern but takes risks. I am a big fan on the renderings of the Havana Cabanas:

carnival-vista-images5.jpg

To me, the Vista looks like shes got a whole different feel to Farcusville:

carnival-havanapla_3174829k.jpg

carnival_vista_05_copyright_carnival_cruise_line.jpg

CL_VS_Fahrenheit555__SteakHouse_ren-1024x683.jpg

CL_VS_HorizonsRest_Bar_ren-e1422491891378.jpg

Edited by Velvetwater

Sailed both from Florida,USA and from Dover, UK with Carnival with not a massive difference tbh apart from our Europe cruise having more Brits on board but the majority of the passenger base still being from the USA. Although both cruises were 12+ days.

I do find Carnival decor garish on the ships that have been 'farcussed' but I am a bit indifferent to decor after the first day...especially when theres the sea to look at. I understand he is no longer head architect for Carnival and is concentrating on Costa.

The Breeze and Sunshine (not been 'farcussed') have a more toned down look which is where they seem to be heading at the moment. To me the decor is more modern but takes risks. I am a big fan on the renderings of the Havana Cabanas:

carnival-vista-images5.jpg

To me, the Vista looks like shes got a whole different feel to Farcusville:

carnival-havanapla_3174829k.jpg

carnival_vista_05_copyright_carnival_cruise_line.jpg

CL_VS_Fahrenheit555__SteakHouse_ren-1024x683.jpg

CL_VS_HorizonsRest_Bar_ren-e1422491891378.jpg

Better, but still lacking. Too bad they are moving from bordello garish to ultra modern sterile. Somewhere in the middle would seem to be most appealing to the average person.

Celebrity hit a home run and won the series with their beautifully designed and decorated S-class ships.

I never begin to ignore the decor after a few days. The beauty of a ship is one of the things I appreciate about them, and why I sail on them. If the decor is so bad that I have to become "indifferent" to it to make it through the cruise, then I have absolutely chosen the wrong cruise. :eek:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I never begin to ignore the decor after a few days. The beauty of a ship is one of the things I appreciate about them, and why I sail on them. If the decor is so bad that I have to become "indifferent" to it to make it through the cruise, then I have absolutely chosen the wrong cruise. :eek:

I like the exterior of ships (baby got aft :) ) and my husband gets sick of me 'being a boat pervert' whilst in port...and then theres the beautiful ocean and ports of course.

The interior decor fades because it pales in comparison to what else I can view...although its just reminded me I have an aversion to many Cruise ship Carpets (including ones on Celebrity).

We have several friends who know about our interest in cruising. All are continually puzzled as to why we like this type of vacation. Everyone of them tried a Carnival cruise as their first experience, seduced by the constant Carnival advertisements that make their ships appealing. Some are couples in their 50s and 60s, and others are singles between 25 and 40. All of them have zero interest in trying cruising again - a feeling we also had after our experiences with Carnival - and continue to wonder what we find appealing about it.

We also have several other friends who decided to take their first cruises on Celebrity, HAL or Princess. All continue to cruise to this day, some of them occasionally with us. Some prefer Princess, some HAL, while we prefer Celebrity. It was these friends who convinced us to try cruising again. And we all agree that Carnival is not for us.

Of course, this is an unscientific sampling, but it does tell me that the people who we consider friends, if Carnival was their first experience, it resulted in not wanting to cruise again. Those that started with more upscale lines had an experience that had them wanting more, and they continue to cruise to this day.

Since I value the opinions of my friends, that tells me all I want to know about ever considering Carnival again. And is the very reason why I found this thread on the Celebrity board and not on the Carnival board, where I have no desire - or reason - to spend time on. ;)

This was the exact same experience that I had. About 10 or 11 years ago I tried my first cruise on the Carnival Elation. Although I enjoyed the ports, I didn't care for the ship much. After doing countless all inclusive vacations with my wife, we have decided to try a Celebrity cruise in October. (she has never been on a cruise before) We hope the result will be different and that we can mix in a few cruises in the future.

The Food on Carnival has always been good in the four I have been on. The Carnival Breeze had fantastic food and the aft cabin was very nice, but too many people on the ship. Usually had to stand in line. And the "anytime dining" was not good. I prefer the sit down assigned dining. Won't use anytime dining again as we had to sometimes wait 45 min with a beeper to be seated.

Here are pictures of the Penthouse we had on the MIllennium.

bIMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

LIVING ROOM AND DINING TABLE PENTHOUSE

dIMG_0681.jpg

KITCHEN PENTHOUSE

IMG_0687.jpg

LIVING ROOM

cIMG_0680.jpg

I wonder if any other ships have as big a cabin as this one.

I'll see if I can find the one of the master bedroom.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F&id=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F%211868

Link to still pictures of suite

Edited by scapel

This was the exact same experience that I had. About 10 or 11 years ago I tried my first cruise on the Carnival Elation. Although I enjoyed the ports, I didn't care for the ship much. After doing countless all inclusive vacations with my wife, we have decided to try a Celebrity cruise in October. (she has never been on a cruise before) We hope the result will be different and that we can mix in a few cruises in the future.

I prefer the Millennium class ships at 93,000 GRT--The newer ones are much bigger. I was on the Carnival Breeze this past JUne and it is too big for my taste. Now the food on Carnival is great--as good as Celebrity, but all ships food depends on the head chef and food buyer etc. A little more personal service on Celebrity, but Carnival did a good job. I myself prefer Azamara. See my list of cruises for comparison.

The Food on Carnival has always been good in the four I have been on. The Carnival Breeze had fantastic food and the aft cabin was very nice, but too many people on the ship. Usually had to stand in line. And the "anytime dining" was not good. I prefer the sit down assigned dining. Won't use anytime dining again as we had to sometimes wait 45 min with a beeper to be seated.

Here are pictures of the Penthouse we had on the MIllennium.

bIMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

LIVING ROOM AND DINING TABLE PENTHOUSE

dIMG_0681.jpg

KITCHEN PENTHOUSE

IMG_0687.jpg

LIVING ROOM

cIMG_0680.jpg

I wonder if any other ships have as big a cabin as this one.

I'll see if I can find the one of the master bedroom.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F&id=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F%211868

Link to still pictures of suite

The Reflection has a larger suite,as does The QM2/QV/QE on Cunard & some of the huge RCCL ships. Size of the suite is not as important to us as the service that goes with them.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I enjoyed reading them and will eventually get to the other comments. You're very brave for putting it in the Celebrity section with your bottom line.

I did have one question...

Asst CD Laura on our other cruise belonged behind a Sainsbury's till with her manner.

I failed British Colloquialisms in high school, so could you tell me what a Sainsbury's till is? I can guess by your context that you didn't like her very much, so maybe it's equivalent to what some of us in America would call a "dumpster"?

We felt that way on Oasis (Royal ), but after seeing the pics posted here of Carnival decor, I see there are much worse options out there...totally garish!