Third person can't go

We might be in the same situation for our March cruise. I am going to wait until final payment to remove my sister to give her the most time to change her mind if things work out.

Call Royal to confirm but I did read a post a while ago about someone cancelling a third person and they were told that a third person could be cancelled up to 2 weeks prior to sail date without any penalty.

Hopefully it won't make any difference in your fares, but it could. Though the ship is showing that it's sold out now, that can change as your final payment date gets closer. It's possible that they might want to change you to another stateroom (a cabin for 2 rather than a triple.) THAT change could possibly mess with your fares as they'd probably want to charge the current rate for pax 1&2 for the new cabin.

They will reprice your stateroom by subtracting the third person. In a perfect world, they'll just cancel #3, subtract the fare/port charges/tax for that passenger from your total, refund the deposit for #3, and leave you in your current cabin. But often the world as we know it at RCI is not perfect.:eek:

I think it would be a good idea to call your TA or Royal and ask. I've seen several posts from folks who made what seemed like minor changes and ended up with a repriced booking, lost OBC, etc. It might be best to make the call while the cruise is still showing as sold out. (i.e. they most likely would not 'need' your triple cabin if they're showing the ship is at capacity) I'd just make it a hypothetical question, like "what will happen to our fares for #1 and #2 if #3 has to cancel? Can we keep the same cabin?"

Good luck - hope it works out fine for you with no cabin change and no increase in your fares.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Hopefully it won't make any difference in your fares, but it could. Though the ship is showing that it's sold out now, that can change as your final payment date gets closer. It's possible that they might want to change you to another stateroom (a cabin for 2 rather than a triple.) THAT change could possibly mess with your fares as they'd probably want to charge the current rate for pax 1&2 for the new cabin.

They will reprice your stateroom by subtracting the third person. In a perfect world, they'll just cancel #3, subtract the fare/port charges/tax for that passenger from your total, refund the deposit for #3, and leave you in your current cabin. But often the world as we know it at RCI is not perfect.:eek:

I think it would be a good idea to call your TA or Royal and ask. I've seen several posts from folks who made what seemed like minor changes and ended up with a repriced booking, lost OBC, etc. It might be best to make the call while the cruise is still showing as sold out. (i.e. they most likely would not 'need' your triple cabin if they're showing the ship is at capacity) I'd just make it a hypothetical question, like "what will happen to our fares for #1 and #2 if #3 has to cancel? Can we keep the same cabin?"

Good luck - hope it works out fine for you with no cabin change and no increase in your fares.

Judy

Exactly what happened to me. Had booked for 3 and 3rd grandkid could not go. So we had to move. They found a balcony, same cat for us so no change. But since we went to a different inside cabin for the GK's we ended up paying more, almost as much for 2 as 3 for the new rate.

We had three in our cabin and my daughter couldn't go, so we only got back taxes and fees, which is better than nothing, can't remember the time frame we cancelled, it was pretty close to leaving, like a month or so

We had three in our cabin and my daughter couldn't go, so we only got back taxes and fees, which is better than nothing, can't remember the time frame we cancelled, it was pretty close to leaving, like a month or so

Interesting. I was thinking the same as Ken posted above, that you could cancel a 3rd or 4th guest after final payment and get a full refund.

Interesting. I was thinking the same as Ken posted above, that you could cancel a 3rd or 4th guest after final payment and get a full refund.

Another case of which rep you speak to? I wonder if they may have been booked through a TA who only refunded the taxes and fees?

I guess in any event the only way to know for certain is to call Royal.

Another case of which rep you speak to? I wonder if they may have been booked through a TA who only refunded the taxes and fees?

I guess in any event the only way to know for certain is to call Royal.

I didn't think about the TA angle. Or perhaps they did cancel too close to the cruise.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I called royal up today and they were able to take the third person off and they just subtracted the third persons amount.

Since my cruise is sold out, they weren't able to give us a room for 2 ppl. Now I'm hoping they'll upgrade us after final payment!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the advice! I called royal up today and they were able to take the third person off and they just subtracted the third persons amount....

Glad to hear we can still remove the third person without triggering a re-pricing.

Glad to hear we can still remove the third person without triggering a re-pricing.

Not sure though if removing a third person does trigger repricing. My cruise is sold out so they didn't have any other rooms available and no pricing to base mine off of for repricing. I just got lucky if they do usually reprice.

Not sure though if removing a third person does trigger repricing. My cruise is sold out so they didn't have any other rooms available and no pricing to base mine off of for repricing. I just got lucky if they do usually reprice.

You may have something there - about being sold out. I had a friend try to remove a second person, and they wanted to re-price his cruise, which would have been a large increase. His travel agent went back and forth with Royal and could not get the second person removed without a re-price. This went on for several days and in that time, his category sold out. The TA tried one more time to remove the second person and this time they allowed it without the re-price.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I called royal up today and they were able to take the third person off and they just subtracted the third persons amount.

Since my cruise is sold out, they weren't able to give us a room for 2 ppl. Now I'm hoping they'll upgrade us after final payment!

GREAT!! I think you were very smart to cancel #3 now, with the sold out ship and no place to move you/no way to reprice you, rather than wait until final payment time. And you may be in a very good position for an upgrade if they need a triple later on - hope you get one!

Judy