Regal Princess Spec. Restaurants

Gracie115

I realize this will be VERY subjective but since we have never sailed Princess before and we have only 5 days on the Regal this November, I'm looking for what is considered the best Spec. Rest. on that ship....it's not about the cost it's about the food/service.....so which is the best one in anyone's opinion????:D

I realize this will be VERY subjective but since we have never sailed Princess before and we have only 5 days on the Regal this November, I'm looking for what is considered the best Spec. Rest. on that ship....it's not about the cost it's about the food/service.....so which is the best one in anyone's opinion????:D

The Crown Grill is a steak, chop and seafood restaurant. I enjoyed it. Ask the waiter what is the best cut or selection. Some selections are not as good as others.

Sabatini's is an Italian restaurant. I have not been impressed with Sabatini's since they changed their menu 3 or so years ago.

Both of these restaurants have a $25/pp surcharge.

There is a Crab Shack which is very popular. It is held some nights in a closed off seating section of Horizon Ct. There is a selection of buckets of seafood. It is very popular. Cost is $20/pp

Make reservations the first day once on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant.

If you want a very nice dining experience in a quiet setting (unless the Wheelhouse Bar is busy) then the Crown Grill is a great choice. Good food and service and no rush.

For a really fun, messy, seafood experience then do the Crab Shack if it is offered on that voyage.

Hi Gracie, It's my day for people we have done excursions with on other tours! (see Cynbar re: UK above). We just did the UK cruise on the Royal, sister of Regal and ate in the Crown Grill. The food was very good, but we did not like the fact that the restaurant is not separated from the Wheelhouse Bar and the bar area was very noisy the night we were there. If you do eat there, ask for a table far from the bar.

Sabatini's on Royal had doors that closed it off from the piazza. Some have said the music still filters in, but I wish we had chosen to eat there. We like to have a quiet meal.

Since our cruise on the Equinox, we have not found a specialty restaurant that is as nice as the Tuscan or Murano. And that included Tuscan on Silly.

I'll take the minority position. We've been to the steak places on Freedom and on Caribbean Princess and we're not impressed. My wife says the steaks I fix at home are much better. We much prefer Sabatini's. We were comped there on our first night on Regal and went back again on Thursday. I can cook a great steak but I don't do Italian.

Hi Gracie, It's my day for people we have done excursions with on other tours! (see Cynbar re: UK above). We just did the UK cruise on the Royal, sister of Regal and ate in the Crown Grill. The food was very good, but we did not like the fact that the restaurant is not separated from the Wheelhouse Bar and the bar area was very noisy the night we were there. If you do eat there, ask for a table far from the bar.

Sabatini's on Royal had doors that closed it off from the piazza. Some have said the music still filters in, but I wish we had chosen to eat there. We like to have a quiet meal.

Since our cruise on the Equinox, we have not found a specialty restaurant that is as nice as the Tuscan or Murano. And that included Tuscan on Silly.

HI! Thanks for your input....we may just have to try both!!! But the menu for the Crown Grill is more appealing for sure....

We also really liked Tuscan on Equinox, but we've been a fan of that one on most of the X ships.....

We are excited about trying our first Princess sailing! Am sure it will be wonderful.

If you have a balcony the Ultimate Balcony Dinner would be my best option. :)

The Crown Grill costs $50/couple and the UBD is $100/couple and gives you nearly $100 in extras: cocktails, flowers, photo, half bottle of champagne (can be exchanged for a $32 full bottle of wine) and specialty coffee drinks. It's a multi course filet mignon and/or lobster dinner served by tuxedoed waiters who magically appear with your next course. :D

If you have a balcony the Ultimate Balcony Dinner would be my best option. :)

The Crown Grill costs $50/couple and the UBD is $100/couple and gives you nearly $100 in extras: cocktails, flowers, photo, half bottle of champagne (can be exchanged for a $32 full bottle of wine) and specialty coffee drinks. It's a multi course filet mignon and/or lobster dinner served by tuxedoed waiters who magically appear with your next course. :D

Oh....this is very interesting....I need to read more about this option.....thanks!!:)

Oh....this is very interesting....I need to read more about this option.....thanks!!:)

Lots of info by searching on this forum and also searching online including some videos.

It's limited (usually 2 UBDs twice per evening at about 6:00 & 8:00) & if wanting to book it do so when you board the ship by calling room service. They have some flexibility to make changes & contact you in advance to go over the menu & if there are any food allergy issues. They really want to make it a special experience & if possible will honor any requests.

We've enjoyed it 4 times and like having an intimate great meal on our balcony. :D

Having dined at both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's within the last year, the winner for me is.....Alfredo's. If they charged $25pp to eat at Alfredo's, I would still do it. Their pizza and other Italian offerings are top-shelf! :)

The Crown Grill is our favorite place to eat dinner on the Regal by a long shot. Highlights for us include the black and blue onion soup, mussel pot, Caesar salad (they do it even though it's not on the menu). For entrees the Lamb, filet, and NY strip are all excellent. And the lobster tails of course. And the molten chocolate dessert is also to die for.

However I have to say that our favorite addition to the Royal/Regal ships is the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. We often stop by before dinner for an appetizer and it's wonderful. The Ahi Tuna Poke, Crab Margarita, and Oysters are awesome. And it's ala carte pricing, so you can order just a small bite for a small price. It's totally worth every penny. I really wish the Crown Grill would up the quality of their appetizers. Luckily you can be creative because they allow you to order whatever you want. So for instance we usually share a Mussel Pot for an app.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
Lots of info by searching on this forum and also searching online including some videos.

It's limited (usually 2 UBDs twice per evening at about 6:00 & 8:00) & if wanting to book it do so when you board the ship by calling room service. They have some flexibility to make changes & contact you in advance to go over the menu & if there are any food allergy issues. They really want to make it a special experience & if possible will honor any requests.

We've enjoyed it 4 times and like having an intimate great meal on our balcony. :D

Sorry I had to laugh out loud when I read this. You will understand when I say we have been 'upgraded' to a higher level mini suite and guess where it is .. right in one ... directly opposite the glass sky walk. Nothing romantic or private going to go happen during this next cruise on our balcony!

Seeing the average size of most regular balcony area I'm guessing the UBD is really reserved for those in suites ... or private mini suites .. or anyone who has drawn the lucky straw with a bigger balcony area.

Seeing the average size of most regular balcony area I'm guessing the UBD is really reserved for those in suites ... or private mini suites .. or anyone who has drawn the lucky straw with a bigger balcony area.

Nope. We were on the REGAL's recent 10nt repo and had a regular category BE balcony room (C136 to be exact). We did the UBD and had no problems at all with the size of the balcony. Sure, it was a little tight, but not uncomfortably so. For the most part, it was a great experience.

A lot of Princess' ships are notorious for having balconies that people can look down onto other people's balconies. The difference with the "Sky Walk view" balconies is that people can face the rooms and look in.....not just look down into them from above. Not saying I'd like to have one of the rooms, but I don't think they're that much more intrusive than a lot of other balconies on other Princess ships.