Worlds Stock Markets Drop Impact on Cruise Prices

mcrcruiser

I have been watching suite inventory on an Asian Millenium cruise. As of the last two weeks Penthouse Royal and Celebrity suites all came up due to cancellations. Final payment is not even due yet.......Which means more will cancel. Will be interesting to see if they lower prices to fill the ship. Wouldn't be surprised.

Safe Sails.

I would think that depends on which market you are looking at. For the US and Europe market I would say no. For the Asian market I would say yes. Thats a problem for some lines that have committed large resources to the area and some have refurbed ships and are building some just for the market. I say this because I look at the US as a long overdue correction, however China is a very inflated bubble that has burst.

So.... you plan to buy high? Historically the market has always rebounded, and climbed higher than before. Sometimes it takes longer, but it's always happened. So it's somewhat backward thinking to say "gee, the market has fallen, I should sell now when it's low and buy back in later when it's higher."

I was going to post exactly this. If you have a plan to be in stocks, now is the time to buy them! Not wait for them to go back up and then buy. I don't time the market, so I didn't throw extra money in on Monday (though it was hard not to)- but we are still making our regular weekly buys.

Now, if you are already in a draw down phase of your accounts if you anticipated the drop, it was smart to have moved some money out of stocks before the Monday drop. But moving it now that the drop has happened is only reactionary and is unlikely to best serve you. Since the markets have already had some recovery since Monday it is most likely just a correction. Growth will happen again.

We were hoping CCL would drop to our 'buy' point so we could get shares to get some OBC, but it didn't go low enough for us.

I have been watching suite inventory on an Asian Millenium cruise. As of the last two weeks Penthouse Royal and Celebrity suites all came up due to cancellations. Final payment is not even due yet.......Which means more will cancel. Will be interesting to see if they lower prices to fill the ship. Wouldn't be surprised.

Safe Sails.

I watched my Summit Sailing to San Juan, final payments were about 3 weeks ago, before the market issues were even considered.

It had BOTH PH open up just a couple days prior to final payments, and a couple RS and CS.

Suites OFTEN open up prior to final payments, it's always my strategy to nab one up post final payments once fares come down. it happens ALL the time, all 3 of my TA's I had this happen, and got Sweet (suite?) deals on them. :D

So one can not necessarily conclude that the markets caused cancellations of suites, it happens often, lucky for me! - I've been observing the phenomenon for 3 years now.

The sailing I'm on has about 30% open cabins still, and they are not yet fire-saleing cabins, we leave Oct 18.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-joint-venture-skysea-cruises-launches-a-new-golden-era-in-chinese-leisure-travel/

Sorry -- I mis-spoke on my earlier post. The grand old lady of X, Century, was not bought by Pullmantur. She is currently sailing out of Shanghai, as the flagship of the new SKYSEA fleet. What I did not know, until I read the RCCL press release (link above) was that RCCL is part owner of this new venture. So, it looks like RCCL stock is even more tied to the Asian markets, than I had thought.

Edited by wwcruisers

What you are saying is part of this saga .;)

Today August 25th the market showed a top gain of DOW 441 points ;but ended down 205 points .:o

There are market pros like Mark Faber who feels this US market can still drop 20 to 40 % due to US & Global slow downs & bubles,especially China.If that takes hold many people will loose a lot of money ;which will heavily impact the US economy & thus ,the cruise industry . More recession would hurt the cruise industry & imo lower prices:eek:

Those that are saying they got out of the market at the highs are very lucky. Unfortunately when you try and time the market you have at least two decisions to make - when to get out and when to get back in. I know a couple of people who got out in 2008 before the crash but have never gotten back in. They are much worse off than if they had never gotten out. Personally, I might tweak my asset allocation percentages but I never am totally out of the market.

As for Mark Faber he is a very knowledgeable and thoughtful investor. However, he has been saying since 2009 the sky is falling, the sky is falling. At some point he may be correct but he's already lost credibility over the number of times he's been so wrong.

As for Mark Faber he is a very knowledgeable and thoughtful investor. However, he has been saying since 2009 the sky is falling, the sky is falling. At some point he may be correct but he's already lost credibility over the number of times he's been so wrong.

All analysts make their money from selling a product. Some make money from being right. Others make money from selling fear and fear does sell.

do you feel that with the tremendous losses in the various worlds stock markets now ,that it will impact cruise bookings & thus lower prices ?

Only if it results in a recession & pax start cancelling trips.