No alarm clocks?

dreday3

We bring clocks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Westclox-Alarm-Clock-Black-Case/dp/B005UQICMW/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1440909978&sr=8-32&keywords=westclox+battery

For either side of the bed. They are easy to see with the blue light at night and really cheap to buy so if we happen to forget it or break it we don't care much. They are also really light so easy to bring along.

Tom

We bring our iPads for reading and games on the plane. We have an app called Nightstand that is a clock. We plug it in on the dresser across from the bed. It's a good nightlight too and you can adjust the brightness. We turn off the automatic time/date function and set it to ships time. It is big enough that I can see it without my glasses[emoji14]. We use it whenever we travel.

Margee

We just use our I phones --- and set the alarm.

As well as take a travel clock.

As well as use room service.

As well as leave a phone request.

:eek:

Space them apart and you have the perfect snooze button! :D

We bring clocks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Westclox-Alarm-Clock-Black-Case/dp/B005UQICMW/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1440909978&sr=8-32&keywords=westclox+battery

For either side of the bed. They are easy to see with the blue light at night and really cheap to buy so if we happen to forget it or break it we don't care much. They are also really light so easy to bring along.

Tom

I bought the same clock at Walmart for $6.95 in April 2013. I don't bother taking the two AA batteries out of it between cruises, and it is still running on the first set. Comes in handy for afternoon naps more than in the morning.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

I have a smart phone, not an iphone, but I have found it changes to whatever time zone we are in, so setting the alarm on the phone can cause you to miss an excursion if the time zone changes overnight.

We had this happen at Belize and my husband almost missed the dive excursion he had looked forward to for so long. He said he just missed getting on a tender and explained his problem. He was the last person they let on the tender after they called the dive excursion and they said they were missing one diver and they waited. He was lucky.

We use the ship's phone, but taking an alarm clock is even safer.

The room service thing never works for us.

We always check off the latest delivery slot (9:30-10 AM). And sure enough the phone always rings around 8:45 to tell us that our food is on the way.

I know, it's not the end of the world but what usually happens is that we end up eating our breakfast and then we go back to sleep. :D

Even in airplane mode, somehow, my iPhone reset time on our last cruise. Compounded by it being day for daylight savings time AND cruised into a new time zone coming home his spring. Synced ship time before going to bed.....got up and hustled to get ready so we would have a quick bite in windjammer and discovered due to time snafu I had an hour to kill before breakfast even opened!!! Not good for a non morning person! Next cruise I will bring a travel alarm!

I have a smart phone, not an iphone, but I have found it changes to whatever time zone we are in, so setting the alarm on the phone can cause you to miss an excursion if the time zone changes overnight....

Even in airplane mode, somehow, my iPhone reset time on our last cruise....

I've had my phone's time change by 6 hours once when it connected to the ship's cell tower. Now I change the time mode to manual when on a cruise.

Even in airplane mode, somehow, my iPhone reset time on our last cruise. Compounded by it being day for daylight savings time AND cruised into a new time zone coming home his spring. Synced ship time before going to bed.....got up and hustled to get ready so we would have a quick bite in windjammer and discovered due to time snafu I had an hour to kill before breakfast even opened!!! Not good for a non morning person! Next cruise I will bring a travel alarm!
Perhaps the GPS was the culprit. After reading all of this, I will probably bring a travel alarm too.

Just change the setting on your phone to NOT sync automatically.

On an Android phone, go into System Settings (might have a tab for it, might all be listed under Settings) and there's an option for Automatic Time Zone (use network-provided time zone) -- just uncheck that box and you don't have to worry about the phone picking up a different time.

Just change the setting on your phone to NOT sync automatically.

On an Android phone, go into System Settings (might have a tab for it, might all be listed under Settings) and there's an option for Automatic Time Zone (use network-provided time zone) -- just uncheck that box and you don't have to worry about the phone picking up a different time.

Thank you. I see it in Android JellyBean:

Settings, Date and Time (under the System heading), Automatic time zone (checkbox).

On this screen, there is also a check box for Automatic date and time ("Use network-provided time"). Perhaps we should disable this too so a foreign network doesn't alter the time (due to time zone or daylight/standard time.) Rob

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

Thank you. I see it in Android JellyBean:

Settings' date=' Date and Time (under the System heading), Automatic time zone (checkbox).

On this screen, there is also a check box for Automatic date and time ("Use network-provided time"). Perhaps we should disable this too so a foreign network doesn't alter the time (due to time zone or daylight/standard time.) Rob

Yes, disable that one too.

That always seemed odd to me. Why don't cruise ship cabins have a clock just like any hotel you've ever stayed in? The wake up call is all well and good, but what if you just want to know what time it is to go to your traditional dining dinner, meet your shore excursion, or just look at what activities on board are coming up?

Off ship you have your phone for the time, but I don't feel like carrying it on the ship just for that. My wife resorted to buying a cheap watch. But it doesn't seem like having a simple clock in your cabin would be too much to ask.

Perhaps it's the limitations of the power supply, which I assume is why they also have so few electrical outlets in the cabins. But if there are battery powered alarm clocks, they can't require very much power so I assume plug in clocks wouldn't either. Heck, they could use the battery powered clocks in the cabins if need be.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

We use the ship's phone as our clock and alarm clock. Because it's not lighted it's not very convenient at 3 AM when you just want to know what time it is.

I have no idea exactly what the reason is but I can see why there are no clocks. All but the new ships do not have an outlet near the bed; I can imagine a battery powered clock would 'walk' off the ship; the only battery powered device is the TV remote, heck RCI can't even give you a pen, let alone replace batteries in a clock.

Edited by steveru621

We use the ship's phone as our clock and alarm clock. Because it's not lighted it's not very convenient at 3 AM when you just want to know what time it is.

I have no idea exactly what the reason is but I can see why there are no clocks. All but the new ships do not have an outlet near the bed; I can imagine a battery powered clock would 'walk' off the ship; the only battery powered device is the TV remote, heck RCI can't even give you a pen, let alone replace batteries in a clock.

Plus adding extra duty for the room stewards who would have to remember to change the clock time every time there was a time change on board and change batteries.