Getting an Upgrade/Bonus Via Tipping?

PaulInPGH

That used to be true but I'm not sure it still is. If there is an empty cabin, it likely is because someone didn't show up or cancelled last minute. I think most cruise lines try hard to fill every cabin, every cruise.

I can assure you it is still true on the cruise lines I have sailed. They need to have a few cabins available for emergency situations, and they do !!

On a recent cruise, we had a plumbing problem and they were going to move us to another inside cabin, but then decided to put us in a suite. The ship had the usual sold out sign on the service desk when we boarded.

Edited by swedish weave

One fellow I know works on check ins for one of the cruise companies, he assures me he has no ability to upgrade or downgrade PAX (I suspect I'd be pretty high on the list if he did).

Well for a downgrade at least.

I can assure you it is still true on the cruise lines I have sailed. They need to have a few cabins available for emergency situations, and they do !!

On a recent cruise, we had a plumbing problem and they were going to move us to another inside cabin, but then decided to put us in a suite. The ship had the usual sold out sign on the service desk when we boarded.

Not arguing the point as some cruise lines will leave one suite (usually a lower category) available for a mid-cruise bingo win upgrade or something similar and occasionally will have a no show stateroom available. There are also staterooms assigned to entertainers that board or disembark at en route ports of call based on their appearance dates. And while not available they remain unoccupied for a portion of the cruise.

As also mentioned, I guess it is possible that due to lifeboat capacity mix certain staterooms could be unoccupied, but if so they would likely remain unoccupied as a result of that capacity being met.

But there are not likely too many more intentional open rooms that would typically be available. And while the good fortune of the suite you were ultimately moved to was, your example of having another same category inside stateroom available to move you to is hardly an upgrade. The OP should not get their hopes up as your example was to solve a problem.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Not arguing the point as some cruise lines will leave one suite (usually a lower category) available for a mid-cruise bingo win upgrade or something similar and occasionally will have a no show stateroom available. There are also staterooms assigned to entertainers that board or disembark at en route ports of call based on their appearance dates. And while not available they remain unoccupied for a portion of the cruise.

As also mentioned, I guess it is possible that due to lifeboat capacity mix certain staterooms could be unoccupied, but if so they would likely remain unoccupied as a result of that capacity being met.

But there are not likely too many more intentional open rooms that would typically be available. And while the good fortune of the suite you were ultimately moved to was, your example of having another same category inside stateroom available to move you to is hardly an upgrade. The OP should not get their hopes up as your example was to solve a problem.

It is possible that you don't receive the same amount if "inside" information I get. I know how the hotel department operates on the lines I use.

Since we use different cruise lines, that could lead to the confusion.

Edited by swedish weave

It is possible that you don't receive the same amount if "inside" information I get. I know how the hotel department operates on the lines I use.

If you read my first comment I said I wasn't arguing your point. I just question the amount of open and available staterooms by category on a given cruise that are that way by intention - especially as would be available for an upgrade, which was to the OP's point. And yes, we likely do have different cruise line experience and I can only base my information on that which I too have received.

And I maintain that the opportunities for available upgrades are slim.

To which cruise lines are you referring?

I get soooo tired of people booking the cheapest room we have and then bugging us for an upgrade when they arrive. It's obnoxious. Want a nice room? Book the room you want.

Agree!! Nice post. I always book exactly what I'm willing to accept whether it be hotel, air, cruise, car - whatever. If I get offered an upgrade at check-in, even if it's at an addition cost, then I'll consider it - but I wouldn't think of asking for it. From what I've witnessed, it seems to be people who can afford it, are the ones who expect it due to their 'status'. (Maybe that's why they can afford it??) ;) :)

Ncl

I have cruised several lines including some that are no longer in business. The example I cited was NOT NCL.

Maybe the reason I get information is that I seldom post information that will identify the source.

That said, I believe the upgrade I cited was the result of my habit of bringing gifts for many of the crew members and officers. That is another controversial subject on CC that I choose not to post details.

One officer who was asked why a certain perk was stopped said "CC people write too much". That says a lot, doesn't it ???

I learned the value of being discreet when I cruised as NRP many years ago.

Edited by swedish weave

I have cruised several lines including some that are no longer in business. The example I cited was NOT NCL.

Maybe the reason I get information is that I seldom post information that will identify the source.

That said, I believe the upgrade I cited was the result of my habit of bringing gifts for many of the crew members and officers. That is another controversial subject on CC that I choose not to post details.

One officer who was asked why a certain perk was stopped said "CC people write too much". That says a lot, doesn't it ???

I learned the value of being discreet when I cruised as NRP many years ago.

Not sure what is says but only about 5% of the total cruising population are CC members so I would question their influence on balance regarding much of anything to do with cruising as a whole.

I have this bad habit of booking and paying for the ship cabins and hotel rooms we want. We don't count on 'tipping' :rolleyes: anyone to get more than we bought and paid for. But if that is your style, give it a 'go'. :D

We do the same. For cruises, I'll check the avails where they are and also check above and below those cabins. And then mark our booking "no upgrade" as we've learned to avoid certain cabins. We have just booked a cabin before and have been upgraded, but the first time was absolutely not a desirable change in my book.

We just did a multi-day, multi-location road trip to take our daughter to college. We ended up staying in six different hotels, but only once did we ask for a room change as the air conditioning was extremely loud (and since it was over 100 degrees when we arrived, odds are it wasn't going to be a cold night). So the desk clerk moved us to the next room. Most likely the hotel was going to be near filled as there was a major event going on within 50 miles and it was a hard weekend to find rooms anywhere in the area (unfortunately we didn't have much say in when we had to travel).

The only time we've ever demanded a room change was back in 2001 when we were given a room that reeked with tobacco. I'm usually pretty metricious about booking non-smoking rooms at hotels (it's getting easier with many going all-non-smoking:)) but this was a definite must.

We did get an upgrade without asking at a Hawaiian hotel on our honeymoon (we did say this was our honeymoon when booking, but wasn't trying for any amenities). We would have been happy with any room there, but we were given a room with probably one of the most spectacular views.:)

Not sure what is says but only about 5% of the total cruising population are CC members so I would question their influence on balance regarding much of anything to do with cruising as a whole.

The question you highlighted was asked at a meet and greet that was 100percent CC people.

The perk had been frequently offered to CC people who attended the meet and greet sessions, so it has nothing to do with cruiuising as a whole.

I hope this clears up your misunderstanding of my post.

Do you have any other issues I can help you with ???

The question you highlighted was asked at a meet and greet that was 100percent CC people.

The perk had been frequently offered to CC people who attended the meet and greet sessions, so it has nothing to do with cruiuising as a whole.

Yes, although certainly not an issue but a question. Been to a number of M & M's as well - what is this perk you refer to that no longer exists due to CC members writing too much? Certainly it can't be a compromise to your source to reveal something that was once made publicly available - even if it was to a private group function.

Yes, although certainly not an issue but a question. Been to a number of M & M's as well - what is this perk you refer to that no longer exists due to CC members writing too much? Certainly it can't be a compromise to your source to reveal something that was once made publicly available - even if it was to a private group function.

It only concerns those who cruise the line that was involved, so I will not discuss it on this thread.

Swedish weave

It only concerns those who cruise the line that was involved, so I will not discuss it on this thread.

I'm sure it is just me but I am not understanding much of what these recent posts have said. They allude to things, they hint, they give subtle messages but they say little. :confused:

Why say anything if the post is only going to skirt around the edges of a guessing game?

You say it only concerns people who sailed the cruise line but we have no idea which cruise line. How do we know if we sailed it? :D

Maybe the heat in Boston is making my head fuzzy tonight. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I also book the cabin I want, or at least the best cabin I can afford.

Anyhow, remember that what the lines consider an "upgrade" may not be better in terms of what you want. You may not want the stateroom on the higher deck. You may not want the stateroom in the middle of the deck.

There are seldom upgrades from interior to oceanview/oceanview to balcony/balcony to suite- and even more seldom interior to suite. Not to say it can't happen, but not likely.