Sunrise Bike Tour-Maui

AZDENNY

I understand that RCCL uses tenders when in Maui. How early do the tenders start running? I am trying to find out because I wish to do the Sunrise Bike Tour in Maui and I am told you leave at around 3am to head up the mountain for the sunrise views before riding back down on bikes.

You will have to be OFF the ship and on transportation by 2:30am to make the sunrise at Haleakala......it's a long drive.....bring WARM clothes...it's freaking COLD up there...30 or less! And, windy! Hopefully, there won't be clouds to obscure your view of the sunrise.

We did the same thing (without the bike ride!!!) and would I do it again? Hell, no. Yeah, it's up high..it's barren...it's cold...did I mention that? COLD! Unless you're up at that time, I'd skip it, and do something else....JMO!

Edited by cb at sea

...with cb at sea. If you are in Maui for only 1 day, perhaps you'll consider doing something else. However, I wouldn't want to discourage you...just want to warn you.

First, how good a cyclist are you? Do you have a fear of heights? How's your vision? Are you planning on doing this with other people?

The bike tours typically start after sunrise, and just outside Haleakala National Park. There are numerous switchbacks and NO guard rails...it's a long ways down if you miss a turn or if you are going too fast. Most importantly, there are NO bike lanes...none. You are sharing the road with vehicles that are driving down from the crater. Although most drivers are courteous, there may be a driver or two that may get impatient and try to drive by you with only inches to spare. Note: There are also some serious cyclist riding UP to the crater on the same road.

If you decide to ride, have fun but please be careful. :)

I did this ride on a land tour a few years ago. I thought it was a great activity. The ride was easy, mostly downhill and the trailer that takes the bikes up the mountain rides behind you to block cars from getting too close. Every so often the bikes pull over to let traffic go by. The bikes only go a certain speed, maybe 20 mph (don't quote me on that though) and then you can't pedal any faster. It was cold and there is no guarantee you will see a sunrise but I would do this again. Also, I'm over 50 and didn't have any problem keeping up.

I did this ride on a land tour a few years ago. I thought it was a great activity. The ride was easy, mostly downhill and the trailer that takes the bikes up the mountain rides behind you to block cars from getting too close. Every so often the bikes pull over to let traffic go by. The bikes only go a certain speed, maybe 20 mph (don't quote me on that though) and then you can't pedal any faster. It was cold and there is no guarantee you will see a sunrise but I would do this again. Also, I'm over 50 and didn't have any problem keeping up.

I did the ride although we got there after sunrise and I loved it. They made sure everyone could ride a bike pretty well first thing. Really as long as you can squeeze the brake and pay attention you are fine. As mentioned here they have van picking up the rear so cars know and yes you pull over every now and then. You will be shedding clothes all the way down and at the bottom it is summer again. When I was there we had 2 days in Maui. I have been twice and tried different things each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I understand that RCCL uses tenders when in Maui. How early do the tenders start running? I am trying to find out because I wish to do the Sunrise Bike Tour in Maui and I am told you leave at around 3am to head up the mountain for the sunrise views before riding back down on bikes.

Our concerns would not only be what has been mentioned but also the tendering process. Nothing can be promised time-wise until you actually get to Lahaina, and weather, sea conditions, actual tender scheduling, etc. may put a kink in your plans. It could be difficult if you have to meet your tour van driver at a certain time. It is wise not to be hanging around Lahaina harbor and the banyan tree by yourself in the middle of the night either.

It is wise not to be hanging around Lahaina harbor and the banyan tree by yourself in the middle of the night either.

Seriously ? Last trip we spent a couple of nights at the Pioneer Inn and their parking is a short walk away. We arrived after midnight and I never saw a soul !

It is wise not to be hanging around Lahaina harbor and the banyan tree by yourself in the middle of the night either.

Seriously ? Last trip we spent a couple of nights at the Pioneer Inn and their parking is a short walk away. We arrived after midnight and I never saw a soul !

Google "Homeless - Banyan Tree Park - Trip Advisor" lowest rating comments.

Our concerns would not only be what has been mentioned but also the tendering process. Nothing can be promised time-wise until you actually get to Lahaina, and weather, sea conditions, actual tender scheduling, etc. may put a kink in your plans. It could be difficult if you have to meet your tour van driver at a certain time. It is wise not to be hanging around Lahaina harbor and the banyan tree by yourself in the middle of the night either.

To be honest I seem to remember tendering stopped for a time during the late hours to very early morning On the ship I was on and that could be a reason I didn't make a sunrise trip but I am pushing my memory on that. For some reason I remember getting up early and trying to catch the first tender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

my mother died taking that tour. she lost control of the bike and went over the side, and at the time there were no safety rails at any point on the trail.

supposedly her death caused them to make some changes. I never verified as I cannot bring myself to ever return to Maui.