Someone Explain Oceania Pricing

RedneckBob

We are about to book a Med Cruise Next Summer. We live in Canada and got a rate from our TA. We are travelling with friends from the UK. Their rates are substantially better. Surprising. Just wondering if we are able to book with a UK TA. I have previously booked with agents in the US with no problem.

Any ideas as to the fare discrepancy?

I live in UK and always think that US customers get better offers/prices than we do!!!!!

Oceania's price structure is on of life's little mysteries sometimes I think even they don't understand it!

Josie

If you had not started this thread, Bob, I never would have known about the great pricing on the Dec. 12 Riviera cruise. I booked it this morning. Because we live in Florida, we didn't have to worry about flights.

Because there are still more than 100 unbooked cabins, this promotion could be around for a while.

Thanks again. See you onboard.

If you had not started this thread, Bob, I never would have known about the great pricing on the Dec. 12 Riviera cruise. I booked it this morning. Because we live in Florida, we didn't have to worry about flights.

Because there are still more than 100 unbooked cabins, this promotion could be around for a while.

Y'all Welcome !

We are practically neighbors; we live in a rural area of Tampa Bay.

• 2 weeks later...
Y'all Welcome !

We are practically neighbors; we live in a rural area of Tampa Bay.

RedneckBob, we also live just north of Tampa.

We still receive great deals on Oceania cruises from my TA. Doubt if I will ever book direct with Oceania again; just wait on the discounted deals.

I wonder if Norweigan Cruise Line has had any influence on TA's offering discounts?

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!

I must be in big trouble. Another one of my post earlier today was deleted.

All I was trying to do is tell other CC members about great deals I saw today on upcoming last minutes cruises on the Riviera.

What was wrong with that ?

Booked a B-3 cabin and now down to the air. Well we are a non gateway city so $200 add on and than because it is winter want to go in a day early guess what now we have a deviation price added $175 okay it gets better now Oceania told my TA they want another $500. How much can they charge for a FREE AIR FARE. At this rate they are getting $1225 for a consolidated ticket. Did I miss the small print?????

The only thing I can think of is that you asked for specific flights that may cost more, therefore you pay more. If you asked for a deviation with the basic flights offered, you should just be paying the deviation.

But if you didn't like the flights they offered and requested other offers, then extra fees came be accrued.

But I'm no expert ... never having been in this situation myself!

Booked a B-3 cabin and now down to the air. Well we are a non gateway city so $200 add on and than because it is winter want to go in a day early guess what now we have a deviation price added $175 okay it gets better now Oceania told my TA they want another $500. How much can they charge for a FREE AIR FARE. At this rate they are getting $1225 for a consolidated ticket. Did I miss the small print?????

It's all about the math, if you can take the credit they give you, and book your own flights cheaper, then do it. If Oceania, with the non gateway add ons, and the deviation works out better, then do that.

I fly from a non gateway airport each time, sometimes it works out, some times it doesn't. I deal with it. It's the way it works with Oceania. People that are close to a gateway city get by cheaper, same way if they buy flights from a major airport.

I will be doing the same. Will be pricing out whatever ends being the best deal. As we all know the travel industry is not what it us to be. My TA will be working for me and taking care of my needs. I wish that it wasn't like pulling teeth and all could work together better. I just felt that what they are asking is a bit unfair.

I will be doing the same. Will be pricing out whatever ends being the best deal. As we all know the travel industry is not what it us to be. My TA will be working for me and taking care of my needs. I wish that it wasn't like pulling teeth and all could work together better. I just felt that what they are asking is a bit unfair.

If the extra $500 for an upcharge for a specific airline you requested?

You can ask what flights they will put you on & just pay the deviation & non gateway addition

Sometimes booking your own air works out better sometimes not

I am flying to MIA from LAS for the 12/9 cruise, and there are some very good airlines deal to MIA (and FLL to a limited extent) for early and mid December. It might be worth it to shop Google flights or Kayak to find a good fare.

Best of luck, John.

My husband and I are on the December 12th Riviera cruise, our first Oceania. Looking forward to talking to you about opinions on travel agents at the meet and greet. WE LIVE IN central FL and are very flexible . I booked through Oceania, quite awhile ago. I guess we have been skipped over for deals. We would certainly would love to entertain an offer

especially to stay on for the December 22nd , but our mailbox is empty!

Cindy

WE LIVE IN central FL and are very flexible . I booked through Oceania, quite awhile ago. I guess we have been skipped over for deals. We would certainly would love to entertain an offer

especially to stay on for the December 22nd , but our mailbox is empty!

Cindy

Have you signed up for their email offers?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/

Have you signed up for their email offers?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/

The particular offer that Mediator (Cindy) could have used is through an online travel agent. If she had called Oceania directly, they would not have told her about it. Although I didn't book through this particular online agency, I told my own travel agent about the offer and she was able to get it for me.

Cindy, I look forward to chatting with you in December.

The particular offer that Mediator (Cindy) could have used is through an online travel agent. If she had called Oceania directly, they would not have told her about it. Although I didn't book through this particular online agency, I told my own travel agent about the offer and she was able to get it for me.

Fair enough

My husband and I are on the December 12th Riviera cruise, our first Oceania. We would certainly would love to entertain an offer especially to stay on for the December 22nd , but our mailbox is empty!

Cindy

If the December 22nd sailing isn't selling as well as "projected" the Inventory Management Department might send your travel agent a notice in which they make you an "offer" to add-on the 12/22/15 sailing to your current booking. How "good" their offer is, depends on the amount of unsold space on that sailing. (I.E. the more space they need to fill, the better the offer.)

Based on what I've seen in the past, if a sailing isn't selling as well as expected, they first offer passengers on the previous and next sailings a slightly better deal than the current "normal" pricing, in order to incentivize them to add this sailing to their current sailing.

If that tactic doesn't satisfy their need, and the sailing date is rather close, they may take the more drastic measure of offering the type of deeply discounted rates that you have been reading about in this thread. But, since that cuts into profitability, it seems it is a last resort measure for them.

Holiday cruises are very popular, and cruise lines usually don't have problems filling their ships for those sailings. Consequently, I doubt they would need to go to extreme measures for the 12/22/15 sailing.

I've had quite a few clients on recent Oceania sailings being offered generous benefits if they were willing to move to a different sailing date, because the sailing they were booked on had been oversold. Maybe you might get lucky, and your 12/12 sailing oversells and they send you an offer to move to the 12/22 instead!

I am flying to MIA from LAS for the 12/9 cruise, and there are some very good airlines deal to MIA (and FLL to a limited extent) for early and mid December. It might be worth it to shop Google flights or Kayak to find a good fare.

Best of luck, John.

Comparing cost of flights to or from LAS to anywhere is not quite a fair comparison as pretty much every airport of any size always has good deals to there. I can generally travel to LAS round trip for less than $300, and that's with the extra fees.

The problem that the other poster has is similar to mine. We are flying from a non gateway airport, which generally has pretty steep rates to get to and from gateway airports, or to embarkation ports.

It's one of the advantages those that live in major metropolitan areas have. I'm okay not living in one.

Edited by ORV

• 4 weeks later...

I look at pricing on Oceania, or any line, to be similar to that of the airlines. It is what it is and not easily explained. For an upcoming cruise, starting in Peking, we got (independently) business class seats for what is now almost economy class ticket prices. Airlines don't allow you to go back and get a better price, if one is offered either. These companies have their own logic, or lack thereof, with every pricing decision the make. I typically tell people "If you like the cruise, and are happy with the price when you book it, then book it, be happy, and don't worry about what someone else paid". Life is to short!

I look at pricing on Oceania, or any line, to be similar to that of the airlines. It is what it is and not easily explained. For an upcoming cruise, starting in Peking, we got (independently) business class seats for what is now almost economy class ticket prices. Airlines don't allow you to go back and get a better price, if one is offered either. These companies have their own logic, or lack thereof, with every pricing decision the make. I typically tell people "If you like the cruise, and are happy with the price when you book it, then book it, be happy, and don't worry about what someone else paid". Life is to short!

When someone tells me that I can easily rebook a cruise and save $500 per person, I'm interested.

• 3 months later...
The following is Oceania's official policy for all travel agents selling their product:

No travel agency or company may advertise or promote to the general public Oceania Cruises products online (including on websites with restricted/ membership-only access), in print, or by any other means, at a price or percentage off which is less than the published price of the Oceania Cruises' product at that time, nor may they state or imply that an unspecified price or percentage off the published prices is available. Published price is defined as that which appears on the Oceania Cruises website.

Theoretically, any agency caught violating this policy will have "remedial action" taken against it.

Well, I guess no one to date is being purnished.

Hi y'all RedneckBob hear !

Just to update this thread I stated sometime ago. I'm still getting big discounts off Oceania cruises. On Monday received something I have never saw. 60% off a PH3 on the Marina sailing out of Pepeette end of March. And yesterday got special deals throguh February 2017 up to 30% off. And I am measuring apples to apples; same perks !

Is Oceania really have problems filling their ships or is this the influence of Norwegian Cruise Line ?

Well, I guess no one to date is being purnished.

Hi y'all RedneckBob hear !

Just to update this thread I stated sometime ago. I'm still getting big discounts off Oceania cruises. On Monday received something I have never saw. 60% off a PH3 on the Marina sailing out of Pepeette end of March. And yesterday got special deals throguh February 2017 up to 30% off. And I am measuring apples to apples; same perks !

Is Oceania really have problems filling their ships or is this the influence of Norwegian Cruise Line ?

Is that from Oceania, or from that large online cruise TA?

We found the same thing on our cruise as you originally posted about. I receive a travel deal email each week, and saw a great price quoted by that online cruise TA that was about $600 less PP than what was listed on the Oceania website. I preferred to work with a regular TA, and so I found one that called O and was able to get the same price as the internet agency and matched the extra OBC.

I do not think it is O alone. There seems to be alot of new ships from all lines. O has added capacity this year too.

We just refared a Crystal cruise in a Veranda for under $370 per person/night - so O is not alone.