HAL Aussie Exchange Rate

With the falling dollar, I'm contemplating buying on board credit for my September 2016 Mediterranean cruise to cover gratuities. Does anybody know the current AUD/USD exchange rate offered by HAL, or will I be charged in US dollars, and be subject to my banks rate at the time?

Edited by ozblue_7
added offered by HAL

Another option would be to simply buy the cash from your bank ,or whom ever you choose ,and then you would have US dollars locked in at todays rate.

A problem we have struck in the past is that when we have done a deal ,or paid an account with the cruise line , they have held onto it and not presented it to the bank for 2 or 3 weeks , by which time the exchange rate has moved even more in their favour.

Its a bit like Foreign Currency trading, you have to gamble depending on whether you think its going up or down..:eek:

We have locked in cash before only to find that the rate improved before sailing..:rolleyes:

If you buy OBC with Hal now they will charge you at today's rates. If the au Dollar goes down you win. If it goes up you lose. Can't see it going up, so I would buy OBC now. I have done this on each of my HAL cruises. I like to pay as much as I can so that I don't suffer from bill shock at the end of the cruise.

Well, 91c is amazing, and on another thread cruisers are reporting 76c from other cruise lines. When I go on the HAL site, to buy $100US is billed as $100US, so I imagine if I click buy I will be charged at todays exchange rate. Is HAL different in this respect or am I missing something?

I understand that Princess set their exchange rate for the "season". This time we win, but often it is the other way around.

I do not know if HAL works the same way or if you will simply be charged at today's exchange rate. If no-one can tell you definitely, maybe you could buy (say) $100 worth of OBC and see what the charge is in AUD. If it is really good, you can buy more pretty quickly.

I understand that Princess set their exchange rate for the "season". This time we win, but often it is the other way around.

I do not know if HAL works the same way or if you will simply be charged at today's exchange rate. If no-one can tell you definitely, maybe you could buy (say) $100 worth of OBC and see what the charge is in AUD. If it is really good, you can buy more pretty quickly.

Yes, looks like I'll have to just buy some as you suggest. Not today though dollar going up.:)

Dollar did not stay up long. Did a test run on the Holland site by purchasing $100US. Took 2 days to appear on my account. Cost $148Au. As I remember from past purchases Holland uses the most recent exchange rate at the time of processing in the US plus a 1.5 to 2% exchange rate charge.

If US raise their interest rates as predicted next week, we can expect further falls in the Aussie dollar.

Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me what the exchange rate if purchasing USA$$ on board for taking ashore. we will be on the Dawn Princes next week and only require a few USA $$$$$ spending money

Trying to decide if to purchase a few $$$ before we go or as we need it onboard?

thanks B

Edited by bubbles2014

If you only want a small amount - 50US? - I'd just do it onboard. The hassle of shopping around, finding outlets with the right denominations, some with minimum order limits aren't worth the savings of say $5 at most.

Of course, if you're talking $500US, it may be worth it. So depends what sort of amount you're considering.

If you only want a small amount - 50US? - I'd just do it onboard. The hassle of shopping around, finding outlets with the right denominations, some with minimum order limits aren't worth the savings of say $5 at most.

Of course, if you're talking $500US, it may be worth it. So depends what sort of amount you're considering.

yep only about that much....thanks for the confirmation :-)