Which TV series should I watch on cruise?

stuartgrn

Here are my picks--some pretty good ones for binge watching, if I do say so.

Breaking Bad

Downton Abbey

Murdoch Mysteries

Sherlock

The Wire

2nd for Murdoch, in fact that's what's loaded on my iPad for our coming cruise.

Lord, no......it has to be David Tennant. Without a doubt. Chris Eccleston is a close second. None of the original group compare - which is fair, because the original and reboot have a very different tones and themes. Well, at least until the last season, which I find closer in to the originals.

Regarding the bit I highlighted in red: You are right. I grew up watching Doctor Who in the '70's and, to me, the reboot just doesn't rate with the episodes from the '70's and early '80's. Another poster mentioned Peter Davison: he is my second favorite Doctor (and Jon Pertwee my third favorite). Regardless, it's nice to see so many Doctor Who fans on one cruisecritic thread! It truly is a great show no matter which incarnation you prefer.

We've binge watched most of these shows and two I'd add that haven't been mentioned are

The Sopranos

Vikings

I'm a huge fan of Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Justified, the Americans, Sherlock, Lost and Fargo so you know where my taste lies. My friend has all the premium cable channels and says Ray Donavan is excellent but I haven't seen it.

FWIW, my husband thought Vikings was some of the best television he's ever seen!

And thanks for the heads up about Amazon prime stuff being available for download. That's huge!!

For some who are concerned about having enough downloading space on their tablets: There are now some wireless storage products out there that will work with iPads, like the SanDisk Connect flash drive. Download what you want onto the stick, and you're good!!!

2nd for Murdoch, in fact that's what's loaded on my iPad for our coming cruise.

GUT2407, I am so stuck on Murdoch Mysteries! Don't know how it has flown under the radar for so long. It is a recent discovery for me (a local TV station is currently running it in syndication), and I quickly got hooked. Just finishing up season three. :D

Have fun on your cruise!

For some who are concerned about having enough downloading space on their tablets: There are now some wireless storage products out there that will work with iPads, like the SanDisk Connect flash drive. Download what you want onto the stick, and you're good!!!

I love you for this!!

Thank you, thank you. Didn't even think of this. Started to download some things from Amazon app, and not enough space.

OP,

I would definitely recommend Break Bad and if you have never seen HBO's Oz, it is a good one also.

West Wing (don't like the later seasons as much as the earlier ones but still all good)

Sports Night-an often forgotten series from the 90s (also by the writer of West Wing-only 2 seasons but fast and sharp like WW)

Orange is the New Black (3rd season disappointed me though)

House of Cards (ditto OITNB comment)

Leverge (Timothy Hutton and crew of "good Thieves". Not well known but very addictive)

Now I want to go back and watch all these again. Oh the curse of having to work!!!:(:(:(

So many good suggestions -- it seems that we all have similar tastes! My suggestions:

Game of Thrones -- not nearly as good as the books, but still wonderful

Orange is the New Black -- though I've only seen Season 1

House of Cards -- are people really this evil?

Heroes -- the first seasons were good, but then it goes downhill

Downton Abbey -- love it

Call the Midwife -- why this never got any love, I just don't know

The Sopranos -- if you love the F word, of course

Breaking Bad -- why can't I hate these people?

World Without End -- though, again, not nearly as good as the book

Sherlock -- the new BBC version, please!

24 -- we've been hooked for years

Copper -- not the best here, but if you like Westerns ...

Once Upon a Time -- my youngest and I were hooked

I'm dying to watch:

Vikings

Wallander

Gotham

Jericho

Elementary

Hell on Wheels

Outlander