mainly for people who've been to Alaska more than once

poss

We visited Alaska about a decade ago and loved it. I'm trying to decide whether to do another cruise there. As I look at the various excursions in each of the ports (including Wrangell, Port Rupert, Icy Straight, etc.; it's a 14 day cruise), it seems that we'd be doing pretty much the same thing in each of the ports, especially as we're no longer able to do the glacier walking kind of thing, which we liked so much first time around. We're not interested in museums, not at all interested in shopping. What we most enjoy is being out in nature, taking relatively easy hikes, etc. Not at all interested in fishing. (I get very sea-sick on that kind of boat.) Don't especially enjoy walking around towns, especially as there's not a great deal of difference among them, unlike, say, the ports on a Med cruise or a Baltic cruise.

Here's the question: When I call up info and photos of the various rain forest trails, there doesn't seem to be all that much difference among them (especially as we can no longer manage serious hiking/biking). Also, while we very much enjoyed the train in Skagway and the Sea Otter Quest in, I think, Sitka, they don't have enough interest for us to want to do repeatedly.

It sounds as if I'm trying to talk myself out of a return trip to Alaska. It's quite the opposite. For several reasons, we're reluctant to cross The Pond a this stage of our lives, so Alaska give us someplace to cruise to.

For those of you who return to Alaska again and again, what have you found to do that's sufficiently different to retain your interest?

Thank you.

Any chance you might want to do Denali or Kenai peninsula? We're on our 14th Alaska cruise, 2nd Denali visit. We cruised up to Whittier, rented a car for a week, and will cruise back next Saturday. We also are somewhat limited in our traveling by medical issues but this trip is wonderful and easy! Denali in early September is incredible with the fall colors.

I have a different view- with Alaska cities very different from each other, and unique opportunities in each.

I repeat a LOT of my favorites and greatly enjoy them every time. There is so much to see and do, I find it hard to think, you only had ONE interest in ports? Yes you are doing a LOT of "talking yourself" out of an Alaska trip? Why. There is hardly anything you could have done 10 years ago that it was so spectacular, that anything else is going to be a let down? unless, you choose to think that way? And if that is the case- that your first trip was so good, then you are perhaps, setting yourself up for disappointment? 10 years is a LONG time. As mentioned above- any interest in Denali ? Have you been there? There are a lot of "new" places in Alaska to go to.

There are plenty of other places to go and see- that would be NEW and perhaps of interest?

We visited Alaska about a decade ago and loved it. I'm trying to decide whether to do another cruise there. As I look at the various excursions in each of the ports (including Wrangell, Port Rupert, Icy Straight, etc.; it's a 14 day cruise), it seems that we'd be doing pretty much the same thing in each of the ports, especially as we're no longer able to do the glacier walking kind of thing, which we liked so much first time around. We're not interested in museums, not at all interested in shopping. What we most enjoy is being out in nature, taking relatively easy hikes, etc. Not at all interested in fishing. (I get very sea-sick on that kind of boat.) Don't especially enjoy walking around towns, especially as there's not a great deal of difference among them, unlike, say, the ports on a Med cruise or a Baltic cruise.

Here's the question: When I call up info and photos of the various rain forest trails, there doesn't seem to be all that much difference among them (especially as we can no longer manage serious hiking/biking). Also, while we very much enjoyed the train in Skagway and the Sea Otter Quest in, I think, Sitka, they don't have enough interest for us to want to do repeatedly.

It sounds as if I'm trying to talk myself out of a return trip to Alaska. It's quite the opposite. For several reasons, we're reluctant to cross The Pond a this stage of our lives, so Alaska give us someplace to cruise to.

For those of you who return to Alaska again and again, what have you found to do that's sufficiently different to retain your interest?

Thank you.

Every time I go I do a whale watch. Every time. Every one has been different. Every time I go I make a pilgrimage to the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan. When I get to Sitka, I always go to St. Michaels. Repetition can be enjoyable.

That doesn't consume all of my time, so in addition to doing those things in port, I find other things that I enjoy. This year I rode public transit in Juneau to Douglas Island and walked the beach and seashore, visited with people walking their dogs -- a slice of real life. One year in Ketchikan I sat on a bench and talked to some people who had come by their private boat from a nearby island for the day. Another slice of real life.

I've done easy to moderate hikes in Skagway (not really a rainforest compared to most places in SE Alaska, IMHO).

There are LOADS of things to do in every port, in my experience. Why hold yourself back by creating "objections"? If you have concerns about your current level of mobility, find the easy hikes. Or hire someone to take you to a trail head and wait for you. Not inexpensive, but probably worthwhile.

Gotta go. I'll be back tomorrow with additional comments :)

(Unlike Budget Queen, I've only been 8 or 9 times....)

Well unlike most of the posters I live here. Alaska varies with each area....there are lots of easy hiking from any of the small towns that you will visit....years ago, there were not many books on hiking in Alaska, but there are many now...most of the visitor guides have some of their trails marked I their visitor guides. A book that you might be interested in is easy hikes in south east alaska....there are several easy hiking books...check out Amazon...most are published by falcon...we have thousands of easy hikes.....come on back, we are much different than we were ten years ago.....

I have been to Alaska many times.

I look forward to our return.

There is not only so much to see but even if you repeat places you will get different perspectives for many reasons. First you can't possibly take it all in the same time. Second, the weather plays a role in all of this. Weather can bring out different colors in the scenery and different times of the year can mean you will see different wildlife and a different landscape.

I highly recommend returning not only a second time but additional times as well.

Keith

Why cruise?

Go to AK, and spend the time on land. There is more than enough to do and see that fits your criteria, without stepping foot on a cruise ship.

I agree that the ports are all more alike than they are different, but the sights ashore are so varied that you will not miss being on a ship. Rent a car or an RV and have a great time exploring.

I head up to Alaska pretty much every year and never get tired of looking at the glaciers and scenery. It changes every season and is always magical.

You say you took the train in Skagway, this time rent a car and drive into the Yukon. You can stop at the many overlooks and enjoy the many lakes and beautiful scenery. Pull off a small side road and just walk along the shore. In Juneau take the tram to the top of Mt Roberts and enjoy one of the short hikes around the mountain top with views down onto Juneau. In Sitka wander down to the Totem Park and enjoy the trails then head up to the Raptor center. Sitka is easily walkable.

Once you get away from town the scenery is everywhere for you to enjoy.

My first trip to Alaska was a 7 day cruise. We flew to Anchorage, bus to Seward where we boarded the old Noordam in 1999 (I think). We enjoyed each port and the ship immensely. Sitka was our favorite of the ports for the Russian History and quaint town. We were in early May and Denali opened the day we sailed, so missed it that year.

Fast forward to 2007, we decided to return to Alaska. I originally started looking to rent an RV or van, but changed gears and decided to do a cruisetour that included the Yukon as well as some interior Alaska. We flew to Vancouver and sailed the Zuiderdam. We were only on the ship for 3 days debarking in Skagway. We had 8 days on land visiting Whitehorse and Dawson City in the Yukon, on to Eagle, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and ending in Anchorage.

The two trips were totally different. Go to your library and check out some guide books (Frommer's, Fodor's, etc). Check the different areas of Alaska and even the Yukon (always seemed to go hand in hand to me for Gold Rush History). I haven't been to the Kenai, but it looks lovely.

Decide if you want to try a cruisetour (I love them, not everyone does) or DIY in a car or RV. Or I believe the Alaska Railroad even offers tours. Alaska is so vast, to say you've seen and done everything in one visit, just isn't possible. Have fun researching, then taking your next trip to Alaska!

If you want to see more of Alaska there are other options to consider besides a cruise. Fly into Anchorage then rent a car or small RV to explore. If you're not comfortable driving on the other side of the road, travel by train, bus, or ferry. These options will require a little more research but will allow you to see more of Alaska than the usual 3 or 4 ports along the coast.

The ferry is a lovely way to explore the SE on day trips.

ie fly into Seattle and onto Juneau, then take a ferry to Gustavus and spend a few days in Glacier Bay, then on to Sitka, Wrangell, Skagway, Haines ......

Here are a couple of trip reports on ferry travel that were posted on tripadvisor. Look at #39 from BiaDK ( from Copenhagen) and #44 from pamjo44 (UK traveler)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5289155-o30-Trip_Reports_for_2012-Alaska.html

I much appreciate the varied and thoughtful replies.

I feel bad that I didn't make perfectly clear what our limitations are. We're in our 80's, no longer drive, or use public transportation, and are definitely at the stage where we want things arranged for us, so that we can simply go along and enjoy ourselves. Our many decades of renting cars all over the world and doing things on our own are definitely not an option now.

Also, we'd not be interested in a land tour as we absolutely love our cruise line (Regent); a major part of our enjoyment and relaxation on vacation is being aboard the wonderful ships. We need to rest a certain amount of time each day, and we don't like having to haul out of bed very early in the morning if we don't feel like doing that. On Regent, excursions are included and that makes things easy for us: what we need now, since a number of other things are difficult of us.

As I said, I'm truly sorry that I didn't make such things clear when I posted. It's very kind of people to chime in with those various good ideas, but it makes me feel bad that you went to that trouble: my apologies.

The cruise I'm thinking of, btw, begins May 18, for 14 days. I maybe should go back to doing a 7-day cruise, but this one is attractive because it's Vancouver-Vancouver, plus it gives us more time on the ship that we enjoy so much. Very long flights aren't comfortable for my husband, and this lessens the strain. (We live in Florida.)

Many thanks once more.

Holland America has a fantastic Yukon/Denali land and sea tour. We only spent 4 days cruising and the rest on land tours. We had a variety of ages on our tour. A few needed the use of canes. We traveled by bus, plane and train. All of the tour hosts were wonderful. The bus ride through the Yukon was so scenic. We will do this same tour again for sure. I highly recommend it for all ages.

The cruise I'm thinking of, btw, begins May 18, for 14 days. I maybe should go back to doing a 7-day cruise, but this one is attractive because it's Vancouver-Vancouver, plus it gives us more time on the ship that we enjoy so much. Very long flights aren't comfortable for my husband, and this lessens the strain. (We live in Florida.)

I see zero real reasons for you to not take the 14 day cruise. If you find you've overtaxed yourselves in one port, have a "stay on the ship" day at another port, especially since the ship experience is something you really enjoy. There is no one who will be forcing you to do something in each port.

If Regent does the Canada/New England itinerary, that is another option to consider -- a 14 day trip there if it appeals.

We did the HAL 14-day Alaska cruise in MAy this year and enjoyed it. My DH got hurt just a few days before we went so we ended up booking more shore excursions than we normally would through the ship.

Edited by CowPrincess

I agree with the OP that cruising offers an 'easy button' approach that many of us enjoy.

Have you read up on shore excursions at TripAdvisor.com? We found a lovely guide there last year for a Ketchikan walk. She's a native American (Tracy Wolf of Wolf Tours) and it was low key and easy for our varied age group. If you don't enjoy walking, guides like Tracy will take you for individual motor tours that respect your needs.

I'm sure that there are many such guides availalble in the other ports you'll be visiting.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you travel together for many years to come.

we do the same things over and over again all the time and love it...

if i love something once, i love it again...

and i'm not talking alaska...i'm talking everything...

we take the same vacations locally every year....(in the spring, we go to the same hotel up north, in the winter we go to the same resort area in the south, etc etc)...

and i would LOVE to be able to go to alaska every year.....(budget queen, wouldn't you like to adopt me????)....

as budget queen wrote, it seems you're setting yourself up for disappointment...