Changing GTY cabin once assigned

AnnaMiami

I booked a GTY balcony on the 11/15 sailing of the Silhouette and got a 2B assignment this morning. I've always been able to change the cabin once it was assigned, but none of the travel websites are showing any 2B availability - I've tried the Celebrity website as well as 3 other big commercial ones, and if I go through the reservation process and click on 2B, no available cabins are displayed, just a GTY 2B option. Is this something new or just a weird glitch they're having today?:confused:

The Celebrity Cruises UK site will show all the available cabins in each category.

Give them a go and have a look.

The UK site is also only showing a GTY option for the 2B category (and other categories as well). Nicely laid out website though!

The UK site is also only showing a GTY option for the 2B category (and other categories as well). Nicely laid out website though!

If the UK site is not displaying any cabins then, yes, you got the last 2B available enjoy! You can always keep checking as someone may cancel or upgrade and a room may become available that you find more desireable.

I booked a GTY balcony on the 11/15 sailing of the Silhouette and got a 2B assignment this morning. I've always been able to change the cabin once it was assigned, but none of the travel websites are showing any 2B availability - I've tried the Celebrity website as well as 3 other big commercial ones, and if I go through the reservation process and click on 2B, no available cabins are displayed, just a GTY 2B option. Is this something new or just a weird glitch they're having today?:confused:

Have you called Celebrity? If they're holding cabins for other guarantees, they might help.

I booked a general balcony GTY. It just seems odd, because up until yesterday I was booked on the 11/22 sailing as a GTY and was assigned a 1C with many options for changing the cabin. As soon as I switched to the 11/15 sailing I was assigned the 2B cabin with no options to switch, and no 2B, 2As or 2Cs are coming up as anything other than a GTY either. I'm guessing they got filled up by the previously booked GTYs as 2Ds and the 1s are still giving you options to pick from. Got confused because I've never seen this happen before - thanks for all the input!

Keep watching availability. My guess is that they'll try to sell guarantees for awhile and then you'll be able to see cabin availability again in a while. I say this because I once booked an Aqua guarantee. While the guarantee was available, no direct booking of A1 or A2 was available. I was assigned an A2 almost immediately, and it turned out to be 1502, the first cabin forward. Eventually I was able to see which cabins remained, and there were plenty to choose from.

You can ask for upgrade to 2A if you are in Captain Club. You can get 1 level free upgrade within category it's part of the perks (except suites).

We booked A2 and asked for free upgrade to A1.

Edited by cruza

You can ask for upgrade to 2A if you are in Captain Club. You can get 1 level free upgrade within category it's part of the perks (except suites).

That request has to be made at the time of initial booking and is not combinable with GTY bookings. Also they changed sail dates which would also negate the upgrade option.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We booked a guarantee and were given a 2B also. For about a week there was no availability in 2Bs, but then about 10 or so appeared.

I also have a question. I know that if you are assigned a cabin in a guarantee you can ask to be placed in another stateroom in that category. Does it have to be right away? Can you wait? I'm not thrilled with what I got but I don't hate it either and might want to wait till something better comes along. :p

We booked a guarantee and were given a 2B also. For about a week there was no availability in 2Bs, but then about 10 or so appeared.

I also have a question. I know that if you are assigned a cabin in a guarantee you can ask to be placed in another stateroom in that category. Does it have to be right away? Can you wait? I'm not thrilled with what I got but I don't hate it either and might want to wait till something better comes along. :p

I don't think it needs to be right away.

Why not just ......call Celebrity?

I don't think you can do that if you originally booked a GTY, but it would not hurt to ask.

I think it depends on the country you booked in. Certainly in the UK you cannot change your assigned cabin if you book a guarantee. You are stuck with it. However, that may not be the case in other countries with different terms and conditions.

According to the terms GTY bookings are excluded from the free 1 level upgrade.

I have booked GTY cabins on many cruises. Sometimes I get an assigned cabin right away. I have also waited until the cruise to get a cabin. On one cruise, I was assigned a cabin and reassigned 3 times. Each time, the category was better. You can ask for a change in a category. If you get a good TA, they can get the cabin changed. If I request a change, I ask for a specific cabin. If available, it is usually switched. Most of the time, I accept whatever cabin I get. I have never been in a really awful location. Some cabins have been in locations that I would not pick if were doing the picking. I only book GTY if the savings is good. I am delighted to be on the ship and saving money. However, always know that any cabin may be changed at anytime. Upgrades sometimes happen as you get closer to the sailing date. Good luck.

From what I've read (think I have this right), in the US, if a Gty balcony is assigned and there is availability afterward, one can change cabins.

Before reading this thread, I had thought that there is no way you could change your guaranteed balcony assignment.

I understand that one could be stuck with a balcony cabin they really don't like if there is no availability.

What are some of the worst possible guarantee balcony cabins? Balconies with a lifeboat blocking most of your view? Anything else?

We usually pick our balconies, but if the guaranteed balcony was that much cheaper, we may consider it.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I am about to book on the equinox november 9 cruise and will probably book a Balcony Guarantee and ask to be on the wait list for Aqua Class.

Currently, it appears that there are only three balcony cabins available.

Is there a magic window time (e.g. Three weeks out) where Celebrity will open up more cabins that they've been holding or that TAs have been holding? Or should I just book now?