If MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

LMaxwell

If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

• Yes, we would go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch
    • No, we would not go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch

I like the idea of the MDR open for lunch embarkment day. It would be a great Diamond perk. On the other hand, the Windjammer is a cruise tradition for us. It's not about the food, but people watching, snacking, and everyone is excited, just a feel good time the first few hours on the ship.

I must agree with your feelings. Twice I have gone to the MDR for lunch with friends for a quieter meal. Neither time was I overly impressed. I have never been to Golden Corral, but what was a little nicer than a Ruby Tuesday salad bar was the shrimp that could be added to the salad mix. There was nothing on the lunch menu that really got my personal attention either. Later in the day, I probably stopped by the WJ.

WJ can't hold a candle to a good Golden Corral. That makes me sad

It would be nice to have the option available for people.

It may lessen the crowd in the Windjammer, and also it gives you somewhere to sit and meet with people before your room opens.

I prefer the Park Cafe on the first day for lunch. Not many people know about it yet, so it is usually very quiet except for the people who find it by accident looking for the windjammer :)

Yes, yes and YES. I agree that having the Tutti Salad would be great. Nice ambiance and quality over quantity. Plus we get tired of shlepping our carry on luggage around the WJ looking for a table if we're on board before 1. By that time the WJ is insanely crowded.

I like the idea of the MDR open for lunch embarkment day. It would be a great Diamond perk. On the other hand, the Windjammer is a cruise tradition for us. It's not about the food, but people watching, snacking, and everyone is excited, just a feel good time the first few hours on the ship.

I think it should be open for all. It would alleviate some WJ congestion and offer choices on par with competitive lines.

We absolutely would do the MDR on embarkation day.

My husband boards in a wheelchair since there is a scooter waiting for us in the cabin. As we all know RC doesn't let you access your cabin till 1:00. We like to board earlier.

If we could go to the MDR it would make lunch much more enjoyable for us. In WJ I have to run around and get his lunch and then do it again for myself.

The idea of cruising for us is a vacation for me!!!!

I think it should be open for all. It would alleviate some WJ congestion and offer choices on par with competitive lines.

While I voted no, I have to agree. It would provide another option and take some pressure off the Jammer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The WJ on embarkation day is the traditional start to a cruise......along with paella and strawberry melon drink. Then sitting on the pool deck watching all the cruisers arrive and their looks of amazement. We are in our bathing suits and relaxing as we 'people watch'.

Love watching the new cruisers!

They are not going to open the MDR. Most of the Staff not working are off for a few hours or moving Baggage. The rest are working the Windjammer.

As clearly stated in this thread, other cruise lines already do. How could you possibly know that RCI will never do this?

As clearly stated in this thread, other cruise lines already do. How could you possibly know that RCI will never do this?

Yeah if NCL, HAL, Princess, Disney and others do it so could RCI. It's one obvious area RCI really trails the pack.

Plus, we would eat LESS because we would not be tempted to return to see "what they have".

You know although I'm one of the Windjammer folks, I've never thought of it from this perspective. I really DO find myself going back to the buffet to see what I missed on the first go-round (not a good weight-watching habit...LOL). If RCI ever starts serving lunch in the MDR, I just might...MIGHT check it out. But then I'll probably return to my Windjammer people-watching routine...:rolleyes:

Plus, we would eat LESS because we would not be tempted to return to see "what they have".

And aren't inclined to wait for it to be served to us, in a sweaty little steamer tray, while awkwardly holding up other guests dining experiences...

Edited by Diplomacy

Why is that, regardless of cruise line, it seems most people MUST eat lunch right away after setting foot on the ship? :confused: Worried they won't get enough to eat over the next several days? I don't get it. I'd rather explore the ship, particularly if it's my first time on it, go to the pool before it gets too crazy, or a bunch of other things.

No. I LOVE the dal and the paella in the WJ. I now consider it my official "start of the cruise" meal, the way others look forward to the Honey Stung Chicken. A bowl of dal over rice and then a bowl of paella.:D

72 more sleeps till I get my dal...

I love the honey stung chicken but they didn't have it on the Majesty in August :(

I would go to the MDR for sure over the Windjammer, the Honey Stung chicken was all i really liked.

We used to go to the WJ in our early cruising days, but it's such a free for all trying to find a table, tripping over bags etc. We now get a reasonably good breakfast at our hotel or on the aircraft. Later, on board, we then go to the solarium bar, get a couple of drinks and wait until the rush dies down. We then have a light snack mid afternoon.

However, I'm sure we'd consider MDR if it were available for a light lunch- a nice peaceful start to the vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why is that, regardless of cruise line, it seems most people MUST eat lunch right away after setting foot on the ship? :confused: Worried they won't get enough to eat over the next several days? I don't get it. I'd rather explore the ship, particularly if it's my first time on it, go to the pool before it gets too crazy, or a bunch of other things.

Same logic applies to you. Are you afraid that you won't get enough time on the pool deck over the proceeding several days? One thing I know, is if you just got off a 7hr plane ride and a 30minute bus ride, you tend to be hungry... and thirsty... and probably aren't in the mood to change into your swim wear, and then change back for muster/drills. 0.02.