Oysters on the Half Shell

swm5495678

Since you're sailing out of San Francisco, why not have lunch at the

Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building before boarding the ship? Fabulous, fresh oysters! Several kinds are available. They are very busy, and you may have to wait in line for a seat, but oh, so worth the wait!

We are sailing on the Grand out of SF on October 24. Anyone know if oysters or clams are available on the cruises?

When we sailed on CB out of Southampton at the end of May, I was very surprised to see oysters on the half shell in the buffet more than once. I didn't recall seeing them on Princess before. They were fine, but I seemed to be one of the few people eating them.

Since you're sailing out of San Francisco, why not have lunch at the

Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building before boarding the ship? Fabulous, fresh oysters! Several kinds are available. They are very busy, and you may have to wait in line for a seat, but oh, so worth the wait!

Hog Island is fabulous! One of our favorites in the City. Further down the Embacadero is the Waterbar. They have oysters from 11:30-5:30 for $1.05!!!

Cheers, Denise

Have been on many cruises where oysters were available in Horizon buffet. Maybe this was on certain 'theme' nights, never really noted - but they were there. Mussels too....

I have to say on all of our PRINCESS cruises I have never seen raw oysters on the half shell until the Regal cruise. I see cooked clams/mussels but never raw oysters. :(

We are sailing on the Grand out of SF on October 24. Anyone know if oysters or clams are available on the cruises?

As much as I love them,I'd probably avoid them on a cruiseship. It's hard to tell how well trained the staff might be prepping in that area. Perhaps on a true "luxury" line,where the staff is far better trained, I'd risk it.

As much as I love them,I'd probably avoid them on a cruiseship. It's hard to tell how well trained the staff might be prepping in that area. Perhaps on a true "luxury" line,where the staff is far better trained, I'd risk it.

Believe me they do not take food safety lightly and there will be no doubt at any stage of food prep that would be suspect......

Due to the strict food handling policies on Princess I would have no issues eating raw oysters onboard.

Its the only place I feel comfortable eating escargot too. :)

if you are coming to Alaska, we have wonderful oysters.......AND, it is one of the few places in the world that is vibrio free......Not sure I would want to eat raw oysters on the half shell that have been stored for ever how long......cooked? absolutely.......and I do know how wonderful the galleys on Princess are.....but still.......and all the escargot come in cans.....(at least I have been told that by Princess), and I have never seen them otherwise in a store even in France when I lived there.....but sometimes we would go catch our own.....:)

Believe me they do not take food safety lightly and there will be no doubt at any stage of food prep that would be suspect......

Due to the strict food handling policies on Princess I would have no issues eating raw oysters onboard.

Its the only place I feel comfortable eating escargot too. :)

Escargots are cooked,so I have no problem. Loved them on Celebrty. Being in the food industry I've seen pax's behaviors that make me gag & yes I've called them out on it. Some of the buffet staff on Cunard/Celebrity were not the best traines. Things such as tongs being dropped in the food by staff & pax alike etc. The ends of the tongs can be amazingly contaminated! The best way is to have staff serve the pax as they go through the line. With cutbacks & such, this obviously won't happen.