Sugar free on HAL

ehogan

We are embarking on 39 day cruise on the Noordam.

We are trying to limit our sugars as a preventative measure so would like to know how HAL is with offering sugar free products (I.e syrups, desserts, etc.)

We might consider bringing sugar free treats with us depending on the info we receive from all of you informed CCrs.

Thanks in advance.

There are more "no sugar added" desserts than there are "sugar free", but there are some of the latter. The Lido at lunch time has a decent selection of both.

I like the way they taste.

As far as pancake syrup, that is available in the Lido at breakfast. I have found it on a condiment tray on the railing, and other times the person serving the hot food has to get it. Just ask.

The chocolate syrup for the ice cream is not sugar free. There is no sugar added ice cream, though.

If you need your meals prepared without added sugar, you need to make arrangements with the Dining Room Manager. But I expect there are so few recipes with sugar that I doubt that's a problem.

Anyone who loses weight on a cruise should be smacked about the head! :D Seriously, good for you for keeping a lid on it.

Roz

ha-:D- good one,, now don't get me wrong, I crave the burgers and fries everyday, I tend to hover around the dive in , they keep on asking me what is my order and I just say im just looking,:rolleyes: and the eggs benedict's -to die for,, I tend to have 4 breakfast between 6-9am-- but I think its a combo of all the walking and no business stress's and im a big girl to start with, that I can drop 7 to 10 lbs. in 7 days,, just think of the weight lose on a 28 dayer:eek:

As a Type 1 diabetic, with an insulin pump, I have not only never had a problem on HAL, but have really enjoyed many meals.

If you are watching your sugar intake - you really should be watching your carb intake. All carbs turn to sugar in your body - chocolate bar or mashed potatoes - all carbs are alike. Today diabetics do not even look at sugar amounts - we look at carbs. There are as many low carb things to eat on the ships as you would find at home. I do take some low carb bars to have when we are off the ship.

And - the low carb/low sugar desserts and pastries are great tasting - but just don't eat too many at one time. They are not "free foods."

I don't mean to be telling you what to do -hope this post doesn't sound like that - but check out carb counting. It is very helpful.

You should have a wonderful trip.:cool:

I don't have to watch my carb intake, but have found many of the no sugar added and sugar free desserts to be quite delicious.

Roz

Totally agree! Had a side-by-side taste test of regular and no sugar added chocolate pudding and the no sugar added won with 5 of 6 votes! Yes they are no sugar added desserts but they are not totally sugar free.

Last cruise was my first HAL adventure with carb control, and I was new at it.

Prior to the cruise I had contacted ships services to ask if macro nutrient counts were available for the meals. (So many restaurants do that now and ACA requires it for some situations). The response was they were not available, but they did give me the name of the DRM and chef and told me I could talk with them directly with any questions. Well, the second night the DRM found me, and every night afterward, brought me the next nights menu to pre-order. They were very accommodating about substituting foods (ie: cauliflower for potatoe). The NAS desserts were great. I was delighted to find my favorite chocolate gem (discovered on a previous cruise) was actually a NAS item. My blood sugars were stellar all week.

So OP, if you are only trying to limit sugar, that should be fairly simple. The more comprehensive carb control is totally possible.

One time I accidently picked up a "no sugar added" bran muffin -- kit was like eating saw dust.

Did you try a regular bran muffin at the same time to see if it was something else in the recipe that was the problem?

It might not have been the lack of added sugar that was the matter with it.

... Prior to the cruise I had contacted ships services to ask if macro nutrient counts were available for the meals. (So many restaurants do that now and ACA requires it for some situations). The response was they were not available, but they did give me the name of the DRM and chef and told me I could talk with them directly with any questions. Well, the second night the DRM found me, and every night afterward, brought me the next nights menu to pre-order. They were very accommodating about substituting foods (ie: cauliflower for potatoe). The NAS desserts were great. I was delighted to find my favorite chocolate gem (discovered on a previous cruise) was actually a NAS item. My blood sugars were stellar all week ...

Thank you for your very informative (and positive) post. The following from the FAQs on the HAL web site should also be helpful to anyone with food allergies:

"For guests with food intolerances or allergies that are not life-threatening, please contact our Ship Services Department at (800) 541-1576. For guests with life-threatening food allergies, we ask that guests provide detailed information to our Access & Compliance Department by completing a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form. Guests should indicate on this form which foods may potentially cause a severe reaction.

Guests with a variety of severe food allergies sail with Holland America Line regularly. Our galley staff on board is accustomed to and experienced in dealing with these types of needs. The galley itself has many different areas of food preparation, which can help reduce the possibility of cross-contamination. It is important to note, however, that meals are prepared in mass quantities on board, thus there is always the possibility of some cross-contamination. As such, Holland America Line cannot guarantee that a guest will not come in contact with those items. Although our Access & Compliance Department will provide the ship with an advance notice of all food allergies detailed on an SRI submitted to them, it is recommended that guests also contact the Dining Room Manager upon boarding to review the details of these special dietary needs."

From our experience, HAL (and all of the HAL ships on which we have sailed) are very helpful and diligent in dealing with passengers' special needs/requests.

I also try to limit sugars and carbs in general. I do pay attention to some of the sauces and especially the glazes they put on some of the foods as they contain hidden sugars. Some are more obvious such as sugar glazed carrots that I've seen on the menu. If in doubt, ask. I've always found them willing to make substitutions such as more vegetables in place of starches.

I can do quite well managing my blood glucose with common sense choices. I do leave the desserts along - regular and no sugar added - because they can all be carb heavy. There is one exception - chocolate volcano cake in the Pinnacle Grill the last night of the cruise. I just make plans to walk it off afterwards.

I agree with those who say that carb and sugar control are easy on HAL. It's all in your choices.

I would say, though, that if you select NSA ice cream, please be SURE it is indeed the No Sugar Added. Last cruise the ice cream person gave me regular ice cream .. and when I asked twice if he was sure it was no sugar added, he checked the tub's label and said "No, it's regular". So, just be aware.

Also, at the Lido, if there's an NSA dessert that looks good, grab it when you see it. They can go quickly.

Anyone who loses weight on a cruise should be smacked about the head! :D Seriously, good for you for keeping a lid on it.

Roz

Hmphhh! I rarely gain any weight on cruises. Not because I do not eat everything in sight, but because the portions are reasonable size and I tend to not overeat like I do in a land borne restaurant.

Be aware that many low sugar things are actually very high carb. The things that make foods taste good are sugars and fats (and to a lesser extent starches). I've been diabetic long enough so I can pretty much estimate carbs by looking at a plate. I read labels in the grocery. I am not exactly zealous, but I do try to manage my disease before it manages me.

Another thing to be wary of is the amount of sugar alcohols in some NSA products. One of the worst nights I ever spent was from eating NSA ice cream from a large specialty chain.

Doc

ha-:D- good one,, now don't get me wrong, I crave the burgers and fries everyday, I tend to hover around the dive in , they keep on asking me what is my order and I just say im just looking,:rolleyes: and the eggs benedict's -to die for,, I tend to have 4 breakfast between 6-9am-- but I think its a combo of all the walking and no business stress's and im a big girl to start with, that I can drop 7 to 10 lbs. in 7 days,, just think of the weight lose on a 28 dayer:eek:

me again-- when I said I have 4 breakfasts between 6 and 9 -- breaki #1 is coffee and a mini danish-- #2 is the smoked salmon with extra lemon-- #3 is eggs benedict with bacon and I only eat half of the muffin,- #4 fruit but breaki is my big meal of the day--:D---joanie

Thank you all for your kind responses. We do try to limit carbs as well.

It sounds like we should have no problem with food choices on HAL!

Glad to see that you do understand it's not only sugar, but carbs are just as important to avoid. They turn into sugar. Even if you enjoy a piece of sugar free dessert, the carbs in it WILL turn to sugar, so you have shot yourself in the foot if you eat them every day or eat the entire piece. Try to eat half!