Tipping for Neptune Suite

cabinluvn

Being fans of the aft corner SBs, I too know how far it is to the Lounge, but coffee (from that great machine), danish, fresh fruit and yogurt, and CNN or BBC on the big screen make my daily early start a pleasure. The morning Lounge steward on the Z'dam said the machine made the best coffee on the ship, and he worked nights as a waiter in the Pinnacle Grill! It'll be interesting to see what kind of new coffee machine will be in our Neptune in January.

Blizzardboy, we also got an aft wraparound cabin for our cruise in January. I am assuming you are also from the north, hence the blizzardboy!

When I think about going to the lounge for Danish and yogurt, I think that would mean I would miss breakfast in the Pinnicle Grill. I anticipate that being one of the great perks. Breakfast in the Lido is a hassle and I will be nice to avoid that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I think about going to the lounge for Danish and yogurt, I think that would mean I would miss breakfast in the Pinnicle Grill. I anticipate that being one of the great perks. Breakfast in the Lido is a hassle and I will be nice to avoid that

Thre PG (as well as the MDR) has limited breakfast hours. Typically we can only get there perhaps 2-3 days out of 7. The Neptune Lounge is open all day. So no reason you can't get breakfast in the PG with "elevenses" in the NL!

Blizzardboy, we also got an aft wraparound cabin for our cruise in January. I am assuming you are also from the north, hence the blizzardboy!

I don't have to, but I get up a lot earlier than most. My body-clock alarm still goes off about 4:30 to 5:00. My wife sleeps in and only wants coffee in the room when she does get up. I head to the Lounge for starters and news, then migrate eventually to the Pinnacle or MDR. They have more servers than customers in the MDR for breakfast, so I enjoy it as well. The morning fare in the Lounge is light, but as good as you'll find on board.

Edited by blizzardboy

I don't have to, but I get up a lot earlier than most. My body-clock alarm still goes off about 4:30 to 5:00. My wife sleeps in and only wants coffee in the room when she does get up. I head to the Lounge for starters and news, then migrate eventually to the Pinnacle or MDR. They have more servers than customers in the MDR for breakfast, so I enjoy it as well. The morning fare in the Lounge is light, but as good as you'll find on board.

by mistake.

Edited by blizzardboy

Which cruise in January? We're on the Oo'dam departing Jan 18. We usually book when we'll be really sick of winter.

Just a note for the OP:

The hotel service charge (HSC) is slightly higher ($12 vs 11.50 per person as I recall), so the cabin stewards do get a bit more for handling the suites (but it really does not amount to much IMO). The service has been so good every time we have been in a Neptune Suite that we always end up tipping them a bit more at the end of the cruise, but again, it is not required.

Just another little hint - the Neptune Lounge does not open until 7 am. A little earlier on early port days. My routine is always early morning gym, then stop at the NL for a yogurt and coffee or tea, and watch the news for awhile before heading to our cabin to wake DH. That is is a good time for people-watching, too ;) as it gets busy, and often when you see those concierges keeping a smile on their face in spite of cranky pax.

As to more open and bright in MDR, depends upon the ship.

The Maasam ("S" class ships) is very bright. Much smaller Pinnacle Grill and most of the seats are near the glass. If it's a bright day, it is bright in Pinnacle. :)

We were just in a Neptune Suite a couple of weeks ago on the Westerdam. I don't know when the NL came into being. This was our second cruise. Our first was in 1998 , also in an NS. This time , we got coffee at least once a day and had appys there. We did not use the services of the concierge but should have! Kicking ourselves again for not doing so! If there were NLs in 1998, we never even went there. We loved loved the NL and found it peaceful. And really, how long is the walk? We were a ways away but it's not like walking down the street. I would come from a different floor to go there, if I had to. A fine perk, if you ask me..:)

I have heard many reference having a party in their suite - maybe pre-dinner cocktails with appetizers or a small gathering of friends with hors d'oeuvres. I am assuming that beverages would be charged to my suite at room service prices. Do they charge for the food?

I have heard many reference having a party in their suite - maybe pre-dinner cocktails with appetizers or a small gathering of friends with hors d'oeuvres. I am assuming that beverages would be charged to my suite at room service prices. Do they charge for the food?

You are correct on the beverages and the appetizers are free and are arranged by the Neptune Lounge staff. There are other food items that I think you can purchase as well.

We were just in a Neptune Suite a couple of weeks ago on the Westerdam. I don't know when the NL came into being. This was our second cruise. Our first was in 1998 , also in an NS. This time , we got coffee at least once a day and had appys there. We did not use the services of the concierge but should have! Kicking ourselves again for not doing so! If there were NLs in 1998, we never even went there. We loved loved the NL and found it peaceful. And really, how long is the walk? We were a ways away but it's not like walking down the street. I would come from a different floor to go there, if I had to. A fine perk, if you ask me..:)

We sailed Statendam her Inaugural year and have sailed all the HAL ships (except Prinsendam). When all the "S" class ships joined the fleet (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam), they did not have a Neptune Lounge and there were inside cabins in that space.

When Rotterdam VI joined the fleet, she was the first to come from Fincantieri with a Neptune Lounge. All the "R" Class ships had it.

When we would go from ship to ship always in an "S" Suite, we started to be disappointed some ships had the lounge and some not.

In time, HAL chose to take those inside cabins and convert them to Neptune Lounges on all the ships and the Vistas and Signature had them built at Fincantieri during new construction.

Pinnacle Grills have a similar story.

If you are having a party, you can get hot hors d'ouerves for four (which really serves more people than that) and if anyone at your party is also in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, you can get four more portions predicated on their suite. They bring a considerable amount of food.

You will pay for all beverages same as at a lounge/bar on board.

there is not charge for the food. Certain things need to be arranged 24 hours in advanced, others (cold) that day.

You can also get extra glasses, etc. that you need for your get together.

They will bring plenty of plates, forks and knives and whatever else is appropriate.

For drinks, we have normally ordered the liquor from HAl and gotten the mix and had our wine. You can also hit the mini bar if need be. Remember if you are 4 or 5* it is !/2 price which makes it very do-able:)

We had hot and cold hors d'oeuvres for 8 delivered to our suite on a couple of occasions, but I arranged it the day before. No charge, though I would have happily paid if there was one. There was lots of food, and they also bring the cutlery and extra plates. We had our own wine, and others brought their own drinks (so basically a BYOB party:D). On another occasion, we had organised a wine tasting party in Kazu's suite and again lots of food and glasses were delivered. There were a lot of us there that day but sorry I can't remember how many.

We told them we were expecting about 10-15, the concierge did the rest. They brought plenty of food, cutlery and plates at no charge. Everyone bright their own drinks. I arranged it a day in advance.

I went back to find my review for better memory and here is what I noted about the service.

• The concierge ordered hot appetizers for us, we had about a dozen of two different items… both of which were delicious.*

• We took advantage of the free dry cleaning and pressing. I did not use the laundry services though.*

• It was nice having a concierge to handle any and all questions/issues. He was able to order excursions for us, replace my husband’s room key when he lost it, and print up room charges and take payment from us to zero out the balance at the end of the cruise. He was also able to reset our safe when we arrived since the last person to use the room did not leave it unlocked for us to use.*

Edited by sherilyn70

The food is free, we had a few people over and they brought nice selection of appetizers. we need Neptune suite twice on concierge was great other was a idiot