Tipping for Neptune Suite

cabinluvn

We snagged out first Neptune Suite at a reasonable price. The best we have ever done is a verandah suite. I am assuming you tip the attendants for the suite above and beyond what they take out for for daily HSC. Wondering what the acceptable amount to give them at the end of the cruise would be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Neptune concierge will make specialty restaurant reservations for you, arrange afternoon tea in your suite, arrange afternoon canapés in your suite, takes care of anything that you normally would have to do at the main front desk, handles shore excursion reservations for you, will retrieve and deliver DVD's, among many other things. We have extended a gratuity to the Neptune concierge when they have gone above-and-beyond the call of duty on our behalf.

You will be totally spoiled in your Neptune Suite and the use of the Neptune Lounge.

Enjoy your cruise!

I had no idea what they actually did, so than you very much. We are not used to asking for help doing things,so I think it will be hard for us to enlist their help. I can see us asking for appetizers being brought to us so we ca enjoy a bottle of wine before dinner!

I've been in a Neptune suite numerous times -- I usually tip my stewards, because they are so fantastic. I tip the Neptune Concierge's if they have provided extra services, or actually if they have been exceptionally nice. I've run into a few that thought any question was a problem.

It is really hard to give you an estimate of what you should tip them extra as it all depends on how much you use them.

Some people never use them thus they do not give them anything extra.

Besides making specialty restaurant reservations, booking shore excursions, arranging appetizers for you, they can also make change for you. When you stop in the Neptune Lounge for a snack -- they always try to talk to you to get to know you and ask if there is anything they can do for you.

Some are really excellent while others are "just there".

Sorry to be so dense, but how is the cabin steward different from the concierge? One attends the cabin and the other is there for ship services? What about the people that attend the Neptune lounge? Our cabin is a long way fro there and I don't see us using it. If we frequent it, do they also get a tip at the end of the cruise?

Both cabin stewards and concierges are worthy of an additional tip. They are the HAL elite.

Cabin stewards working the suites have been with the company for a longtime and know how to treat a suite passenger.

The concierges have experience in customer relations. Most have started working at the front desk and worked their way up to the NL.

Sorry to be so dense, but how is the cabin steward different from the concierge? One attends the cabin and the other is there for ship services? What about the people that attend the Neptune lounge? Our cabin is a long way fro there and I don't see us using it. If we frequent it, do they also get a tip at the end of the cruise?

Your cabin steward does the same as the others, but in the suites (with luck) you will find them extra attentive, whether it be asking if you want a jacket pressed for formal/gala night, whatever (pressing is no charge in NS ;) )

Your concierges are a combination of the front desk, reservations, shore excursions and special arrangements. You don't have to walk down to see them, you can also call to request.

Aside from the standard PG or other specialty restaurants they do for you, shore excursions or even issues, an example would be guests in your room and extra hors d'hoeuvres with wine glasses.

I did a wine tasting on both the P'dam and Westerdam for our roll call and our concierge arranged for all the wine glasses to be delivered, cheese trays, munchies, etc. It was a great time and yes, we did tip them, as well as the room service guys that delivered all the goodies ;)

You don't HAVE to, but I think once you experience it, provided you have good people you will want to :)

The concierges are drawn from the Front Desk staff and can do anything for you that you would ordinarily seek from the front desk--and then some.

Tipping the concierges is very much a matter of the extent of their services to you. The higher the number of service requests, and the more extraordinary they are, the greater the rationale for tipping.

Cabin stewards are more straightforward. The services are comparable to the services of cabin stewards elsewhere, and you can judge your tipping, accordingly.

The concierge has a desk in the Neptune Lounge....they are very helpful...

The cabin stewards take care of your cabin...

OP

Since this will be your first Neptune Suite, the cabin stewards will be worthy of a nice tip for handling your laundry and dry cleaning alone. :) Do send your laundry out, the service is the most amazing. Since you do receive additional benefits with a NS there will be ample opportunities to see they merit a nice tip. Expect that your cabin will be serviced more often during the day than your prior experience.

We do ask the concierge for PG reservations and sometimes special occasion arrangements. Normally our excursions are already arranged, but there have been times that we needed to make small changes. We have had some , generally only one of the two that did not do much, but generally there service did merit a nice thank you.

Dennis

I had no idea what they actually did, so than you very much. We are not used to asking for help doing things,so I think it will be hard for us to enlist their help. I can see us asking for appetizers being brought to us so we ca enjoy a bottle of wine before dinner!

Have you never made use of Concierge Services in a hotel? The Concierge(s) on the ships do many of the same functions.

Seeing you have some confusion as to difference between asking your cabin steward and Concierge, the easiest way to delineate is to advise all the things you'd like help with or done for you that you do not ask you steward for, ask the Concierge.

Do you need large denomination bills broken to smaller for going ashore or for tipping? Do you want alternative dining reservations? Do you want a salon or spa appointment? Do you want a thank you note delivered to someone? How about sending flowers to a new friend or someone who did something nice for you? Do you want to arrange a small cocktail party in our Suite? Do you want a tee time at a local golf course in port? (Sometimes they can arrange that and transportation to and from.)

All examples. Now think of your personal needs.

We always have an envelope for our concierges at the end of any hotel stay or cruise. The amount depends upon how many services we requested from them.

Edited by sail7seas

OP

Since this will be your first Neptune Suite, the cabin stewards will be worthy of a nice tip for handling your laundry and dry cleaning alone. :) Do send your laundry out, the service is the most amazing. Since you do receive additional benefits with a NS there will be ample opportunities to see they merit a nice tip. Expect that your cabin will be serviced more often during the day than your prior experience.

We do ask the concierge for PG reservations and sometimes special occasion arrangements. Normally our excursions are already arranged, but there have been times that we needed to make small changes. We have had some , generally only one of the two that did not do much, but generally there service did merit a nice thank you.

Dennis

I've had cabins all the way from and inside to the penthouse. My cabin has never been serviced more than twice a day. When do they do a third or more servicing and why would it be necessary? Thx.

No, never used concierge services from a hotel. Thanks everyone. I think I have some idea of who to call for what services

I think you may be surprised. It's rare that I've ever used a concierge at a hotel. While I don't use them a ton on ship I used them more than I thought. I'm a very do it yourself person. Sometimes I'm shocked at how some people seem to get them to do everything.

Concierges in hotels know the 'locals' and get dinner reservations when the traveler cannot. They can get theatre tickets and connect you with great tour etc They tell you which restaurants you used to love are no longer great. ;) Will arrange car company and drivers on request....... It's wonderful to have a 'chatting' and "I recognize you" relationship with them. They are your friend in town if you have no other. ;)

We are very independent people but are smart as well. We know what we don't know and are happy to avail ourselves for services included in the nightly room charge for our hotel room/cruise ship fare for our suite. I don't bother them for stupidity or nonsense but appreciate their help when it is useful for me.

We were staying in Four Seasons in Seattle and my DH stopped at Concierges desk to ask a question. As we walked away, I mentioned to him I needed to send his suit out for pressing as he needed to wear it next evening. We were not in our room five minutes when housekeeping knocked to ask if we had something we wanted pressed. Concierge had heard us, knew we were going to our room and saved us the bother of calling housekeeping. That is service with a smile. :)

Edited by sail7seas

No, never used concierge services from a hotel. Thanks everyone. I think I have some idea of who to call for what services

You'll do just fine, and you will love the Neptune suite. The concierges are very helpful, just ask them anything that you would contact the front office for, plus some. You'll soon get a feel for it. We tend not to ask for much, but there are questions along the way, and it is helpful to have them sort your dinner reservations and especially shore excursions - that saves you waiting in a lineup at the shore excursion desk.:) Just sitting around the Neptune Lounge gives you a good idea - and also how NOT to be demanding.;) You may see some people who need a manners check, but on the whole most are polite and friendly with the concierge. Just enjoy - I know you will!

Just wanted to add - I have never used a concierge at a hotel either, but the concierge on the ship makes it clear that she/he is there for you, and you likely will use their services, as I noted above.

Edited by Lizzie68

Speak to the concierge for any service you need, not necessary to try to puzzle out on your own who to speak to for various things. The cabin steward is, well, just a cabin steward. Treat him as you have any other cabin steward you've had.

We aren't ones to ask for much either, but we used the concierge many times in our Neptune suite. He arranged for hot hor'dervs to be in our room for a party, made sure our dry cleaning was expedited quickly, helped us with shore excursions and helped settle our bill at the end of the cruise. I'm going to miss having one to go to on our upcoming cruise. However I believe we can use their services by phone in the signature suite, so it's still better than using the front desk. :)

We aren't ones to ask for much either, but we used the concierge many times in our Neptune suite. He arranged for hot hor'dervs to be in our room for a party, made sure our dry cleaning was expedited quickly, helped us with shore excursions and helped settle our bill at the end of the cruise. I'm going to miss having one to go to on our upcoming cruise. However I believe we can use their services by phone in the signature suite, so it's still better than using the front desk. :)

The concierges are front office staff. The telephone concierges sit in the front office at their phones. The Neptune concierges rotate for given number of weeks to Neptune to be Concierge and then back to front office and someone else moves to Neptune Lounge.

We snagged out first Neptune Suite at a reasonable price. The best we have ever done is a verandah suite. I am assuming you tip the attendants for the suite above and beyond what they take out for for daily HSC. Wondering what the acceptable amount to give them at the end of the cruise would be

I know how hard our Neptune steward works. It may all be in the job description, but I can be "high maintenance", and feel that a good job should be rewarded. The cleaning chores may be similar to other cabins, but the service provided to Neptune customers is stepped up a few notches. I have been accused of over tipping in general, but if you're a demanding pain in the keister, you should compensate those who take care of you. I usually tip $20 per day for our Neptune. I still hand out envelopes at cruise end to the bartenders, servers, etc., that have gone over and above to make our cruise a great experience. I do take into account the service charge added to the checks and the daily tip charge billed to the room, but I reward exceptional performance. It doesn't have to be a huge amount of cash, but being sought out and recognized makes their day, and at their wage level, means more than we can appreciate.

It's easier in my mind to compensate the concierge for services provided as they are more tangible. Saving me from having to stand in line at the front office for admin stuff is worth a lot in itself, let alone making reservations etc. I keep mental track of what they've done for me and add them to the envelope list.

Edited by blizzardboy

We really didn't use the concierges, but they are so friendly and add greatly to the ambience of the Neptune Lounge, which we found ourself using several times a day, despite our cabin being somewhat far away. The lounge on the Eurodam has a Fabulous coffee machine which also makes cappuccinos, and we enjoyed the food selections during the day.