First time to Alaska. Glacier bay or Tracy Arm Fjord?

jensue1

Based on your other post and your limited mobility (unsure about how limited) Perhaps Glacier Bay would be a better choice as you do all the glacier viewing from the ship - there is also a NP ranger/naturalist onboard to talk about GB and the geology, wildlife, and history. - things you get on most of the small boat tours of Tracy Arm. Most cruise ships do at least one water level transfer from the small boat to the ship. I have seen them both and find them both beautiful for different reasons. Only you can make the decision.

You are now limited to three lines - Princess, NCL, and HAL. And if you want to do a RT leaving from Vancouver you are now down to Princess and HAL - also with the popularity of the cruise tour that involves a one way cruise + land tour there are fewer RT cruises out of Vancouver.

For 2016 HAL will have two ships doing the 7 day RT out of Vancouver - Both visit GB and also offer a service call at Tracy Arm for the small boat excursion to TA - which returns to Juneau where you re join the ship.

Princess (as of now) is not offering any 7 day RT cruises out of Vancouver. So you would have to cruise out of Seattle.

again good luck in your planning.

Both are certainly VERY worthwhile. All you are saying it's your "first" Alaska cruise, could mean, "first" of many. :)

If glaciers are your priority, then you see more in Glacier Bay. If you want to see close up glaciers in Tracy Arm- then an add on ship tour is -necessary-. (too many people turn their noses up at the price, small expense for the gain and grossly superior viewing).

IF glaciers are a priority, then simple math is the answer- see as many as you can, with a one way cruise offering you the most- and the ability to add, Exit, Kenai fjords glaciers, Prince William Sound, Knick, Matansuka etc. from mainland

For a "general" first timer (descriptive statement only) I think it important to make choices based on the entire cruise. needing to look at ports, time in ports, WHAT you are going to DO in the ports (I find it poor planning to leave this to chance- late in the game)

Edited by Budget Queen

I'll add my 2cents.

One is a National Park

One is the one cruise offer because they can't squeeze so many ships into the National Park. Don't get me wrong Tracy Arm is beautiful, but if you can only pick one, Glacier!

This year Crystal Cruises is going to Alaska...they don't always go there every year. Crystal Serenity is doing four 7 day one way trips from Vancouver to Anchorage and vice versa in June and July 2016. The northbound cruises go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier! The southbound go to Hubbard only, which was gorgeous when I was there. There are two 10 day round trip Vancouver cruises in July. The first is Glacier Bay and the second is Hubbard. I am booked on the July 17 round trip! :)The last of the season is a 10 day from Vancouver to Anchorage on August 6,2016 (again, both Glacier Bay and Hubbard!). I'm really looking forward to celebrating my daughter's 40th BD on this Alaska cruise.....her first cruise ever!

My thoughts....

• if your priority is glaciers.... go to Glacier Bay
  • if your priority is kids.... go with Disney to Tracy Arm
  • Tracy Arm features wildlife and glacier extinction (the glacier has receeded 30 miles up the arm)
  • If you are cruising early in the season in May.... ice congestion will limit how far the ships are able to make up it up the arm to see Sawyer
  • Some cruise itineries (eg... HAL, Princess) will take you to Glacier Bay, but offer a mid-cruise transfer to a smaller boat to explore Tracy Arm. Book early as this excursion often sells out before the cruise ship departs.
  • Some will board a private Juneau excursion to travel the Arm. However, you are retracing 50 miles of water between Juneau and the Arm... plus the one way distance up the Arm. Covering 80 miles of water means you loose out of Juneau activities like whale watching, Mendenhall and possibly Glacier Gardens.

9ln2wYbk6xY OMzReVZn__M l40k_wZzVuc -0x8dcnk1TM

Both are spectacular, but in different ways. My preference is Tracy Arm, but you have to take the small boat tour. I've been to each only once. I don't feel any desire to return to Glacier Bay, but I'd love to go back to Tracy Arm. I think I'm just partial to fjords. And I loved getting up close on the small boat. I wish they did that in Glacier Bay.

I was wondering about doing a back to back, joining together a northbound and south bound cruise from Vancouver. Has anyone done that?

Yes, I done them several times. I like switching ships, and ideal is to add a week between cruises and see mainland Alaska. I do recommend taking advantage of both Seward and Whittier and tour these gems. Don't miss out and waste those days. :)

Both are certainly VERY worthwhile. All you are saying it's your "first" Alaska cruise, could mean, "first" of many. :)

If glaciers are your priority, then you see more in Glacier Bay. If you want to see close up glaciers in Tracy Arm- then an add on ship tour is -necessary-. (too many people turn their noses up at the price, small expense for the gain and grossly superior viewing).

IF glaciers are a priority, then simple math is the answer- see as many as you can, with a one way cruise offering you the most- and the ability to add, Exit, Kenai fjords glaciers, Prince William Sound, Knick, Matansuka etc. from mainland

For a "general" first timer (descriptive statement only) I think it important to make choices based on the entire cruise. needing to look at ports, time in ports, WHAT you are going to DO in the ports (I find it poor planning to leave this to chance- late in the game)

Budget Queen, have you written a guide for alaska cruisers? or a long summary type post with mainland and cruise information?

if not, i wish you would. You are such a wealth of helpful information.

I wish i could find it all in one place!!

anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer questions on this forum!!!! :)

Edited by alaska_planner