Beverage package - 168 units of alcohol a week

B1G

Thing is while just about everyone will drink more on holiday than they do at home it's for a relative short period of time so I don't see the issue. That's actually more than I drink but I don't see drinking on a cruise as any worse than the majority that are drinking in holiday hotels. It's a bit of a none story really.

Eight times the normal consumption for men and twelve times for women, over a weeks time? This doesn't take into consideration time spent of the ship sightseeing or taking tours. I also think that is way too high, vacation or not. It's all alcohol, no soft drinks, bottled water or specialty coffee drinks, no matter how you try to spin it, the word lush comes to mind.

There is no limit to the number of drinks you can have......with the caveat that they can cut you off if you become disruptive.

I never try to "get my money's worth" out of the beverage package.....and most I've talked with don't either. I (we) just enjoy not having to worry about keeping up with receipts, enjoy seeing a bunch of zeroes on our bill, enjoy being able to grab a quick bottle of water as tou go out on a shore excursion, and enjoy the specialty coffees/fresh squeezed juice.

It is convenient.....not a reason to binge drink for a week!

If you do the math.....this article says we drink (every day) a bottle of wine (4glasses), 7 beers, and 5 alcoholic drinks. Somehow I don't believe that. Some might.....but the vast majority don't/can't physically do that!!

I might have more to drink on vacation than I usually do, but if I drank that much in one day (ok, even half that amount!!).....I'd be SICK!

There is no limit to the number of drinks you can have......with the caveat that they can cut you off if you become disruptive.

I never try to "get my money's worth" out of the beverage package.....and most I've talked with don't either. I (we) just enjoy not having to worry about keeping up with receipts, enjoy seeing a bunch of zeroes on our bill, enjoy being able to grab a quick bottle of water as tou go out on a shore excursion, and enjoy the specialty coffees/fresh squeezed juice.

It is convenient.....not a reason to binge drink for a week!

Totally agree - it was so nice not to sign anything and not see our room bill stacking up day by day - but I am now in rehab [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I'd either be drunk, sleeping or in the bathroom all the time. :eek:

I've seen some people put away the alcohol but nothing like that and I've never seen anyone so disruptive that they've been cut off.

I have a feeling if X was losing money on the drink packages, they would do something to limit it.

Edited by midwestchick

Agree with those who say it is not about (necessarily) getting your money's worth. When the beverage package was first available, long before 1-2-3 Go and Go BBB, we purchased it for a 7- night cruise. I must note that the cost was significantly less than it is today. We totally agree that not having to sign for a beverage every time was wonderful. But, the SO is a retired acccountant. For the first three days, he kept a running total of everything each of us got on our respective packages. Between booze, wine, sodas and water, we came out several $ to the good everyday. He stopped counting. We are not big drinkers- with the exception of sailaway, we didn't have drink before 6:00-6:30 each night. He would have 2-3 Jameson's, I had a martini or two, we had wine with dinner and, maybe an after dinner drink. No beer, no drink of the day, no specialty cocktail. Yes we drank more than at home, but we never felt we over indulged.

Agree with those who say it is not about (necessarily) getting your money's worth. When the beverage package was first available, long before 1-2-3 Go and Go BBB, we purchased it for a 7- night cruise. I must note that the cost was significantly less than it is today. We totally agree that not having to sign for a beverage every time was wonderful. But, the SO is a retired acccountant. For the first three days, he kept a running total of everything each of us got on our respective packages. Between booze, wine, sodas and water, we came out several $ to the good everyday. He stopped counting. We are not big drinkers- with the exception of sailaway, we didn't have drink before 6:00-6:30 each night. He would have 2-3 Jameson's, I had a martini or two, we had wine with dinner and, maybe an after dinner drink. No beer, no drink of the day, no specialty cocktail. Yes we drank more than at home, but we never felt we over indulged.

I've never counted our drinks, specialty coffees or anything else included in the beverage package. I may this time just to see how much we would have spent, although we did not pay for the drink package. Yes, I know some people say you pay more for those perks but we actually got a better price after I had already booked and ended up canceling and making a new reservation in a different cabin class with all 3 perks and it was less than what I originally paid.

But, it would be nice to know for future use in case we don't have a drink package or we do a TA cruise.

Put me down for 5 margaritas a day under the pkg.:eek: And add a couple cappuccinos daily. Normally at home 1-2 bevs daily. But I would dial back and never buy the bev pkg outright at the $55 daily.

I heard that a cruise from Australia had to make an unscheduled reload of beer in a S. Pacific Island because the Aussies (Oi Oi Oi) had gone through the normal stock early in the trip.;) I'm not judging (lest Ye be judged!)

HAPPY CRUISING

We are not really coffee drinkers, nor do we drink at home before 5pm during the workweek. That being said, we fully enjoy the complimentary Elite breakfast beverages [bloody mary, mimosa], and the cocktails in the evening. Without purchasing a package, we have more than enough drinks throughout the day to keep us very happy. If I indulged in the amount I've witnessed some folks drink on the beverage packages, I'd spend all my time finding a ladies room. That's a whole lot of liquid for the human body to process in a day. I'm also in the habit of drinking large amounts of water with a squeeze of lemon throughout the day. I find it helps flush out the moderate amount of free flowing alcohol we consume during our vacations. All this talk of cocktails is making me thirsty....it's 5 o'clock somewhere!!!!

Let's face it we don't eat as much at home as we do on a cruise either. Most days I don't even eat breakfast and if I do sometimes I skip lunch. However on a cruise not only do I eat breakfast but I will also have a Bloody Mary in the morning on a sea day. Even with starting early I couldn't consume that much liquid of any kind in one day.

We love a drink & yes we are aussies, but we could not do these numbers. Must be a cruise with no ports as no way we could leave the ship after day 1. We were once on an asian based cruise that ran out of beer. I would guess they didn't run out of spirits & wine. They just under estimated the amount of beer needed for aussies & kiwis, which were the majority on board. :)

Eight times the normal consumption for men and twelve times for women, over a weeks time? This doesn't take into consideration time spent of the ship sightseeing or taking tours. I also think that is way too high, vacation or not. It's all alcohol, no soft drinks, bottled water or specialty coffee drinks, no matter how you try to spin it, the word lush comes to mind.

We did a boat tour to the Pitons in St.Lucia. This one woman had 12 rum punches(it's what I counted, think she had more)Got really interesting when her husband tried to cut her off. Obvious alchoholic issues.