What do yout only eat on a cruise.......

lahlah57

Escargot, it is hard to find here and the last time we did it was awful. Love escargot on Celebrity.

That's the problem ... even at very nice restaurants at home when they are offered, they are not worth ordering.

Princess and Celebrity do a great job with their escargot :)

LuLu

What a great question....made me think....bacon,prunes and cheese for breakfast:...my husband brings me a plate after he has his smoked salmon .,capers,etc....I only drink orange juice on vacation,never eat eggs Benedict,never buy bacon and love escargot.....:D

The one thing I don't eat for breakfast on a cruise ship is beans because its something I have every Sunday morning at home - Beans on Toast topped with an egg with bacon on the side - YUM. I thought everyone ate beans for breakfast but it looks like it is just us Australians and the English who have the refined taste buds to enjoy this morning heart starter.

What I do eat on a cruise ship that I don't have at home is smoked salmon or Lox with cream cheese etc, and of course my DH and I have prunes with our cereal :D Plus Currant Buns on HAL (one would be lovely about now with a cup of tea). The crispy American style bacon is a novelty but I think I over indulged and went back to English style on my last cruise.

And of course Escargot as many people have mentioned, oh and chilled soups.

The one thing I don't eat for breakfast on a cruise ship is beans because its something I have every Sunday morning at home - Beans on Toast topped with an egg with bacon on the side - YUM. I thought everyone ate beans for breakfast but it looks like it is just us Australians and the English who have the refined taste buds to enjoy this morning heart starter.

What I do eat on a cruise ship that I don't have at home is smoked salmon or Lox with cream cheese etc, and of course my DH and I have prunes with our cereal :D Plus Currant Buns on HAL (one would be lovely about now with a cup of tea). The crispy American style bacon is a novelty but I think I over indulged and went back to English style on my last cruise.

And of course Escargot as many people have mentioned, oh and chilled soups.

So it is a british staple?! Beans on toast.....so simple but so a cruise ship breakfast for me!

You are right.....we do not eat it here but yes the typical heart stopper staples. Oatmeal is a popular item though.

Is streaky bacon our typical american style bacon?

Looks like escargot and eggs benedict have it hands down:p

I will be enjoying smoked salmon and capers, shrimp cocktails, scallops and anything someone else cooks.

I used to cook a lot but now I really enjoy letting someone else cook and do the dishes. It is very difficult to cook for one.

Being on a cruise is very different than my everyday life. Anything cooked with garlic and butter like escargot is a winner.

Creme Bruilee is a must.

4boys nana

DH goes for the pickled herring, smoked salmon or kippers, while I graze the buffet in search of something that looks appealing. When we did the British Isles trip this past year, I selected what appeared to be a piece of chicken in a light fruit sauce - yummy - but when I went back for a second helping, now wearing my glasses, I read the food label - it was pheasant.

I never cook bacon at home, but on a cruise, we both pretend statins are on overdrive and go for a serving or two of bacon with breakfast.

Darcy

I love this thread!!!

When we go on vacation we have a rule about food. On land vacations, we almost never eat at a chain restaurant (unless it's a chain we don't have access to at home). Onboard, we try to opt for things we've never tried before. It's not always been a culinary success for us (curried goat, turtle stew), but it's always been interesting.

On our last cruise our five year-old granddaughter (who knows the Vacation Eating Rule) tried - and loved - frogs legs. It was the first thing she told her pre-school class about when we returned. :)

Edited by CanadianDee

I never cook bacon at home, but on a cruise, we both pretend statins are on overdrive and go for a serving or two of bacon with breakfast.

Darcy

But I thought that everything one eats on a cruise is fat free/cholesterol free/sugar free/calorie free! :eek:

JK :D I never eat desserts or anything sweet/sugary unless I am on a cruise. That's when I allow myself to indulge a little just because I am on vacation!

The gelato served on X Reflection at Cafe Gelateria was some of the best that we had ever had. We rarely have gelato at home, sticking with ice-cream instead.

We have found that a lot of the foods offered on cruise ships is of lower quality than we enjoy at home. There are some hits, of course, but for the most part, we find the food simply okay. We have not found a cruise line that we can say it's all about the food. Our last cruise was in the Aquaclass on X and the food in Blu was really good. Certainly much better than the standard cruise line fare. We would certainly chose it again over the MDR experience.

American bacon, cream cheese on a bagel. OMG!!! I love it. I wouldn't eat it here at home, but on a cruise..... the best.

I for the life of me can not remember seeing pickled herring. Just reading it reminds me of when I was little. We ate it on New Year's eve for good luck the next year! I have no idea where that tradition came from.

I love this thread. Love to read what other people think is "special food" onboard.

Duck, Eggs Benedict, braised lamb shanks, Osso Buco, the Princess Pasta Alfredo in a crisp Parmesan basket bowl, crème brulee, chocolate lava cake (or otherwise-named soft center chocolate - Yumm!) - love them all on the ships, but they're too much time/work to make at home. I cook from scratch a lot and really concentrate on healthful foods 95% of the time, so don't feel guilty splurging on vacation. I do order both desserts sometimes when we go out to dinner at home, but not as often as we have them on a ship.