The Dan-Dan Conundrum

Tralfie

Do you mean Sinan, from Turkey? He was my favorite. "You are my Sunshine" I know now there is a ton of office work the CD must do, so they don't have as much time to 'meet and greet' as they use to have.

Oh no, not Sinan! Sinan was awesome when I had him on the Breakaway back in 2013. I was talking about Sin Alvarez as he was the CD on the Jewel as recent as the NYE cruise. CDs, from my experience, usually come off as friendly and down-to-earth but Sin came off as too serious. His ACD Thomas from UK and his staffers were more out there and had more energy when they hosted trivia or any other event.

No experience with Dan Dan, but do have some with Julie. When she was on the Pearl in 2012. She didn't impress or irritate me. Just kind of 'meh'.

There was an assistant on the Jewel in 2014, Big Ben. He was great fun, and just a nice guy to talk to. He was heading to the Dawn. Don't know if he's still there or not.

Edited by jamminlion

• 8 months later...

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... You can say alllll you want about different people liking different personalities, but Dan Dan - as amusing as he may be - has some serious issues with race, gender and sexuality.

He has - more than once - called out black men by the names of black stars (LL Cool J and Whoopi Goldberg in the last 24 hours... Yes, I'm on the ship now), and this appears to only be something he thinks is 'funny' with black people.

During Qwest, he also had two women 'make out' with no particular rules, but when he asked two men to do the same, the rule was they should keep 'a foot apart'. Pretttttty homophobic, eh?

Sorry guys. Racism, homophobia, etc. need to be unacceptable everywhere, and not written off as issues of 'political correctness.' There's plenty of room to be funny, wild, absurd, and ridiculous without these sorts of things.

Thus, it seems off base to me to be discussing whether or not Dan Dan could possibly be the 'best.' Get back to me when he stops this sort of behavior, and then I'll be happy to weigh in on the rest.

-Sera

The problem with humor is that, if it is good, someone gets angry. It is safer not to laugh.

We were on the Gem about a year ago and I thought Dan Dan was, at first, irritating. Then I started to warm up to him. He as very, very funny and yes, politically incorrect with his self-deprecating humor. I don't think his put-on Asian accent is any more troubling than Larry the Cable Guy's put on redneck accent. It's a joke.

I think it's a uniquely American thing to be so uptight about ethnic humor; when in other English speaking countries I find things like the Brits making fun of Spaniards, the Irish making fun of Germans, etc. I should qualify that, because Canada is evidently it's own separate country and they almost speak English, but they never joke about other people. Might be because they spend so much time and effort trying to keep warm in their igloos. Canadians just make poor choices; they had their choice of French cuisine, the American financial system and English culture. Instead they choose English cuisine, the French financial system and American culture.

I really liked Dan Dan from Philly (American accent). The Philippines I mean (Filipino accent). We saw him as assistant CD to Sinan. Didn't care for Sinan. On another cruise Dan Dan was the CD. Liked him and his, to some, questionable humor. Julie? yeah sailed with her too. Maybe unless they are Mellisa McCarthy women ain't funny! Ha Ha just kidding, some Dan

Dan humor!

I'm pretty sure "Dan Dan" and "Dan The Man" are two different CDs. We had Dan the Man on the Breakaway a couple summers ago, and he was great. I can't speak from experience with Dan Dan.

On the Escape, we had Tyler, and he was great as well.

I'm pretty sure "Dan Dan" and "Dan The Man" are two different CDs. We had Dan the Man on the Breakaway a couple summers ago, and he was great. I can't speak from experience with Dan Dan.

Dan the Man is on the Pearl currently. Yes, they are different CD's.

I can't tell you the name of one CD out of the 20 or so cruises I've taken.

They just don't make much difference on my cruises.

To me, the best CD is the one who stays off the PA.

If I want to know what is going on around the ship, I will read the daily.

I don't need it read to me over the PA. So I guess the ones that do this have a negative impact on my cruise as I find it annoying, but certainly nothing that is going to make or break my cruise.

Lois

I've been cruising with NCL since 2002, and I can't remember a single CD from any of them, nor any from my HAL and Princess cruises either. It seems to me like they're the voice on the PA system, and not much more than that.:rolleyes:

Ditto, I don't have a clue about what all the hype of the CD is about. Our 1st and 2nd cruise with had Sinan (Spelling) Seemed to be very friendly and very nice. Always saw him around the ship talking to people. I have no idea who the CD's were on our 3rd - 7th cruise. On our last two cruises we heard the Captain on the PA more than the CD

• 2 months later...

He speaks quickly and his humor can be a little dry/sarcastic. I think he's witty/quick on his feet as far as making jokes is concerned. Honestly he doesn't really make or break the cruise for me, he's just there doing a job. I never found anything he said overly offensive. And if he was that much of some of the things said about him in this thread I'm sure he would be no longer working with NCL. And like someone else said he does have a very lovely singing voice.

I did like Dan the Man, but my Fave CD will always be Sinan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, me too ;)...no one else will ever compare to Sinan! Dan-Dan, on the other hand - I really disliked his constant giggling...

Edited by cv322
  • Like 1

I was a fan of Sinan. He would start with "nnnneow" and he was entertaining for sure. I think he was the first CD I actually remember on any cruise. But that was probably Gem in maybe 2011 or 12 I think . . .

PS HI CV322! Hope all is well with you!

If you do not like Dan Dan or any other crew member, why don't you tell them them face to face. Tell them directly how in your opinion how you think they can improve.

Besides, the CD, depending on the ship may have as many as 175 plus crew reporting to them with lots of Senior Management meetings, phone calls and entertainment planning, paper work etc.

Imagine if someone went behind your back and criticized your work habits or performance.

• Thanks 1

dan dan's accent is a total put on. Listen carefully to the announcements on the last day when you disembark. That's him.

The eternally offended will find something to complain about. Political correctness aside, i found julie too much of a "straight man" two years ago on my breakaway cruise. I think my favorite was pedro on the star three years ago. I have no idea if he's still with ncl.

pedro is our all time favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

We found Dan-Dan offensive. He was out and about one day and was "entertaining" a small group that had gathered. He was saying things for us to repeat that at first were funny...until he had us repeat "I am sofa king we tar did" in unison. There were several of us who where stunned. Others thought it was hilarious...but most of us in the little group didn't catch the humor in such an offensive comment. How insensitive!

• 2 years later...

He introduced him self as Dan Dan from Philly (in American accent), then in (Filipino accent said) "No silly Dan Dan from the Philapenes, not Phillidelphia!"  It was hilarious, you had to be there.  Him talking in a American accent is as funny as Daman Wayans (Homey the Clown and now Murtaugh in Leathal Weapon) talking in a geeky white guy accent.  Some folks just don't get the humor I guess.

Posting negative comments of staff by name is at best tacky.  These are human beings folks and just because you had a problem with a staff member doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the one with issues.  

On 10/6/2016 at 11:02 AM, cmdchiefthom said:

I've been cruising with NCL since 2002, and I can't remember a single CD from any of them, nor any from my HAL and Princess cruises either. It seems to me like they're the voice on the PA system, and not much more than that.:rolleyes:

I agree. I feel the same way about crew members. I could not and can not understand the importance people put on who is driving the ship or who announces acts in the theater or on the deck. :classic_huh: