Guarantees..Has something changed?

kannna

We have booked Guarantees before. Waited for cabin assignments and then changed within class to better situated cabins when available. It's always been successful.

Today we were assigned an S1 on our upcoming cruise and they won't let us change. There are plenty of S1s available. My husband called twice not believing the first person. The second person told him no.

Has something within policy changed? Has anyone successfully changed their assigned cabin within class lately? I am planning on calling them tomorrow once I've thought about it a bit. I don't like to call angry.

Went about 18 months ago to a GTY suite. Was told I could not change except after boarding. Was told that Celebrity considered all same class cabin the same thus no benefit from changing.

I HAVE successfully change a GTY cabin with my TA when reserved that way. Hmmmm.

We booked a guarantee balcony at the week-end and were told by our travel agent before committing to it that we would NOT be able to change it if we didn't like the cabin assignment. I must add though that we are in the UK and I know that the rules are different. This is something that has been altered here though as we have been able to change in the past. As the OP has just booked very recently, perhaps X are changing the booking conditions across the board.

Went about 18 months ago to a GTY suite. Was told I could not change except after boarding. Was told that Celebrity considered all same class cabin the same thus no benefit from changing.

I HAVE successfully change a GTY cabin with my TA when reserved that way. Hmmmm.

Interesting. I wonder if this is only a suite thing. Though, I have successfully changed suite cabins on a guarantee before.

Just changed two non Suite cabins today. I usually get an S2 when booking a Suite Guarantee. The OP is quite lucky to get any S1 at a guarantee price.

There are no S2s left, but lots of S1s, CS, and RS even a PH. ;)

There are no S2s left, but lots of S1s, CS, and RS even a PH. ;)

I've seen unsold CS cabins used as a prize in a special BINGO game. In one case they appeared to make more from the sale of cards than if they actually sold it. In other cases they offer a "special" upgrade price to those who paid the most for the cabin category under the one offered. This is most commonly used to move people from S1 to CS and CS to RS. In rare cases, I know of only one, a person who is booked in a guarantee winds up with a top Suite.

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked 3 OV guarantees for a holiday cruise and the cabins were assigned within a day. There are plenty of cabins available. While I am not unhappy with the cabin locations, I don't like that they are all 1/2 of connecting cabins and none of them connect to each other.

My travel agent contacted Celebrity and was told that since we booked GTY and actually got assigned a category 6 (yes I am very aware that this category would have cost me $600 more per cabin) that are in very close proximity to each other, we should be grateful. I was not asking for an upgrade, just to be moved down to a few cabins that do not connect. There are plenty of cabins available. Maybe I will ask him to try again at a later date.

Just booked 3 OV guarantees for a holiday cruise and the cabins were assigned within a day. There are plenty of cabins available. While I am not unhappy with the cabin locations, I don't like that they are all 1/2 of connecting cabins and none of them connect to each other.

My travel agent contacted Celebrity and was told that since we booked GTY and actually got assigned a category 6 (yes I am very aware that this category would have cost me $600 more per cabin) that are in very close proximity to each other, we should be grateful. I was not asking for an upgrade, just to be moved down to a few cabins that do not connect. There are plenty of cabins available. Maybe I will ask him to try again at a later date.

is this your 21st December Connie sailing?

I believe there are only 4 sets of connecting Cat. 6 cabins, all in the hallway where they are new cabins, having taken over the Conference Center during the Solsticeization in 2013. All other Cat6's on the ship do not connect.

This hallway is midship, and very quiet and out of the way, Cabins also have much larger windows than standard OV cabins, since they used to be a public space.

End of the day, US bookers seem to be able to change cabins once assigned as GTY, so I would say if you really do want to change cabins try again. Deck 3 mid/forward Cat 6's are nearly all open.

However a GTY is just that, a guarantee you will have a bed to sleep in. Even once assigned, GTYs can be changed later as needed.

I wonder if they purposely assigned your GTY's to the adjoining cabins, just to have those filled and therefore they won't move you leaving open the non-connecting cabins for those who are willing to pay market rate for them.

As of today....

Cat 8 - only 2 left

Cat 7 - Lots left (25+)

Cat 6 - Lots left (25+)

Cat 5 - 14 left

This is similar to what happened to us. We were not able to change after much trying.

I was surprised that after all I had read they would not change to non-connecting. However, I also do like the location of these cabins so I am not too broken up. Yes, they are in the newer section so I imagine it will be a lot quieter with not as much foot traffic. It could have been a lot worse :D.

We have sailed over 40 Celebrity cruises .But ,being on the West Coasst in San Diego we have very small choices with taking a Cellebrity cruise & not flying.

That being said we booked a Oct 3,2015(tomorrow) 21 night cruise SD to Sydney GTY veranda on HAL's Noordam . We were assigned the veranda 7days prior to the sail date .Where folks here have been able to change a GTY location ,Holland makes sure that you can not make any changes from the time line that they assign cabins ;). For the cruise line this is a perfect answer .However ,we can see the passengers side of things as well :). Thank god our assignment was really a good one & the upgrade fairy flew our way:p

We booked a GTY verandah through an online vendor on the 11/15 Silhouette and were assigned a 2B cabin all the way in the back of the ship. Tried to change it to anything closer to mid or front, and were told nothing was available. Contacted Captain's Club, who suggested having our TA change us back to GTY for re-assignment. Called TA, who said that Celebrity wouldn't let them make changes, since we got a group rate (were not aware that this TA books as a group when booking) and there were no more GTY rates available for the group. Kept refreshing a different major TA and saw a different cabin pop up closer to mid ship and was able to have the TA change us to that one. We've booked GTY before and never had such issues moving within the category before. Maybe it depends who you book through?

We were able to change guaranteed cabins on both halves of our upcoming B2B. We were assigned a balcony that we changed to a sweet 16, and an adjoining Concierge cabin that we changed to non adjoining. We booked directly with Celebrity and up graded when the guarantees became available. One was before final payment, the other after.

I always thought that booking a guarantee cabin meant that you could not change it...period.

This is true and enforced on Non-North American bookings, but US booked GTY's usually allow swapping within the same subcategory assigned to once a cabin has been assigned.

That is if assigned to a 1B, you can only swap if another 1B is open, a swap to a 2B isn't allowed.

I always thought that booking a guarantee cabin meant that you could not change it...period.

Policies differ by the company/region.

With NCL for example no changes are allowed even with the US office.

I've always had good luck by asking for a specific cabin that I have researched. I do not calling to ask just if there's anything more midship, for example. On the other hand our ship sails two weeks from today and we still don't have a cabin assignment so I'm at the point where I'll take anything and be happy with it. It's a moot point for us because the ship is sold out and there won't be anything available to change to!