Guarantees..Has something changed?

kannna

If I booked a suite GTY I would be thrilled with S 1 rather than S 2

Not necessarily. We booked a suite GTY on Reflection and received an S1 (1688). I think it was the worst S1 on the ship -- the entire starboard side of the balcony was obstructed by a window washing contraption, and the closet and drawer space was much less than the S2 we had.

This is true and enforced on Non-North American bookings, but US booked GTY's usually allow swapping within the same subcategory assigned to once a cabin has been assigned.

That is if assigned to a 1B, you can only swap if another 1B is open, a swap to a 2B isn't allowed.

It effectively means that those booking from outside the US are more likely to end up with the duff cabins within a subcategory.

The guarantee rates can be very attractive and with that there is obviously some risk because you will be assigned a cabin not selected (fior some reason) by a higher paying guest, who can select their cabin By being able to change within a subcategory it reduces the risk of a duff cabin considerably.

The policy should be the same if booking through Celebrity.

Edited by DYKWIA

It effectively means that those booking from outside the US are more likely to end up with the duff cabins within a subcategory.

The guarantee rates can be very attractive and with that there is obviously some risk because you will be assigned a cabin not selected (fior some reason) by a higher paying guest, who can select their cabin By being able to change within a subcategory it reduces the risk of a duff cabin considerably.

The policy should be the same if booking through Celebrity.

Which is why I would never book a GTY through the UK. I have reserved them through my US TA and been permitted to move my allocation to a cabin of choice. It's not always because of price that one books through the US: the flexibility on bookings far exceeds that allowed in most other countries e.g. refundable deposits, no charges for changes to bookings, GTY allocation changes etc.

It's frustrating that there isn't a level playing field in all parts of the world. It makes sense to me however why they don't allow a move. Logically, Sky Suite specific cabin number is on sale at say £2,500 per person. Suite GTY is on sale at £2,000 per person. So in effect if you allow a move you might as well have all the specific Sky Suites at £2,000 per person because you just book the guarantee and then switch to the cabin you wanted in the first place. It all seems a bit cock eyed to me.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I think they consider all cabins in the same category to be equal, even though we as cruisers may not. So if they assign you a 2B, and it's very far forward, it's all the same to them if you move to an aft 2B cabin--and they've made you happy. I think their logic is that someone else coming along would not decide NOT to book because only your original cabin was available in the 2B category.

I agree with Phil, it makes no sense to allow one group to do it, but not another.

The whole idea of a guarantee is that it gives the cruiseline the opportunity to put you where they need you to be, which they must consider a big advantage or they wouldn't do it!

We have a B2B on the Silhouette in December. We booked guarantees on both and got cabin assignments last week. We were able to change both of then to a better location. This was through an online TA and we are in the U.S. Europe bookings might be different.

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip.

You can if you book in the US!

I'm glad to hear they are starting to enforce the 'no change' rule. After all, that is the intent of a GTY.

And don't get me started on why they often won't allow solo cruisers to take advantage of GTY rates when they pay a full supplement.

That is pretty lame, Phil.

And don't get me started on why they often won't allow solo cruisers to take advantage of GTY rates when they pay a full supplement.

Phil

I was just about to come ask if this was normal. I cruise solo and X won't let me pick up a GTY on my upcoming sailing.

I don't understand why people care if others switch cabins?? :confused: kind of like a couple of hot social topics right now--

To try and explain my POV, it comes down to the fact that I am willing to pay the premium for a cabin selection. So I want those better cabins to be available or a least going to someone willing to pay for them. Cruise lines offer Gty to sell less desirable cabins at an appropriate discount.

I know that Celebrity allows it and nobody is doing anything wrong. But I won't pretend not to be pleased to see reports that Celebrity is following other cruise lines and the intent on this one.

To try and explain my POV, it comes down to the fact that I am willing to pay the premium for a cabin selection. So I want those better cabins to be available or a least going to someone willing to pay for them. Cruise lines offer Gty to sell less desirable cabins at an appropriate discount.

I know that Celebrity allows it and nobody is doing anything wrong. But I won't pretend not to be pleased to see reports that Celebrity is following other cruise lines and the intent on this one.

:confused: I don't agree at all that the cruise line 'sells less desirable cabins at an appropriate discount.' They can't be both 'less desirable' and 'premium'-worthy. And the 'less desirable cabins' have a built in pricing differential--that's why insides are a lot less than suites!!

The cruise line is keeping its options open--they offer certain cabin categories at certain times as part of their inventory control. As I mentioned before, they consider every 2B to be identical--just because YOU may see some of those as 'premium' cabins, that is not germane to their pricing structure. And I don't understand how you can speak to their 'intent' without having actual knowledge of it.

If there are six 2Bs available, and three are forward and three are aft, why shouldn't someone be able to change if they have a preference? These are generally offered late in the booking period, when someone like you who is 'willing to pay a premium' has surely already booked and secured the cabin of their choice? Your position seems to indicate that you would begrudge someone a complimentary upgrade, too?

Personally I am happy when someone gets a great deal, a great upgrade, a cabin they love, a 'free' drink package. It doesn't affect me or my enjoyment of my cruise in the slightest and I can't imagine being 'pleased' if they were denied. . .