Almafi coast and campania coast

hamishcat

Hello

Sorry if this is a silly question but we are looking at trips from Salerno to Sorrento. One trip says is goes along the Almafi Coast and the other says it goes along the Campania coast. I know Campania is a region but is the coastline the same as the Almafi Coast. The trip that goes along the Campania coast is the better trip for us for when we reach Sorrento but we did particularly want to go along the Almafi coast. Hope this makes sense because I am completely confused!!!

Hello

Sorry if this is a silly question but we are looking at trips from Salerno to Sorrento. One trip says is goes along the Almafi Coast and the other says it goes along the Campania coast. I know Campania is a region but is the coastline the same as the Almafi Coast. The trip that goes along the Campania coast is the better trip for us for when we reach Sorrento but we did particularly want to go along the Almafi coast. Hope this makes sense because I am completely confused!!!

Campania is the region that the Amalfi coast is located. Both the same but Campania goes all the way up to Naples.

I think you are correct, Campagnia is the region. The Amalfi Coast is the coast of the region, I think. Salerno is central to the full coastline. Before responding I felt sure I knew what I was talking about but then checked to confirm and found information very confusing! Could it be that one of the tours is going from Salerno North along the coast and the other from Salerno South?

I suggest you check your map, list the places you want to visit and then check that the tour you are looking at matches!

Hello

Do not miss the lovely town of Positano.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Many who take tours of the Amalfi Coast miss one of our favorite towns....which is Ravello. Yes, Positano is a delight (we have spent a lot of time in this city) but Ravello also has amazing charm (not to mention some fantastic Lemoncello).

Hank

You guys are killing me. We have 3 nights pre cruise booked in Positano in April. Can't wait :).

You like shopping? Here is a sample of Positano shops (taken just a month ago)

d914b3c29bd647bc9ca36902634a0db4.jpg

37459c1b1905e06a32c70399d1fa1b06.jpg

36e08aeea3593e2e0917c77678a112c2.jpg

8e55cee108b21697c9fa2d794e7012d1.jpg

This little hidden restaurant looked wonderful

c1e199efbc77323989bc83ed5ab7d9ca.jpg

I think you are correct, Campagnia is the region. The Amalfi Coast is the coast of the region, I think.

Almost correct. The Amalfi Coast is the southern coast of the Sorrentine peninsula, and includes the towns of Positano, Amalfi, Praiano, Ravello and a few smaller ones. Salerno is at the southern base of where the peninsula juts out into the sea, a starting (or ending) point if you will, for the Amalfi Coast drive.

The northern coast of the peninsula is not technically part of the "Amalfi Coast" although many lump the whole peninsula together and refer to it as such. The northern coast's highlight and main tourist stop is the town of Sorrento. From Sorrento and the surrounding northern coast, you can look across the Bay of Naples toward the city of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius.

We spent 5 days in Positano a few years ago and it was wonderful. We enjoyed day trips to the Spaccanapoli section of Naples, Pompeii, Capri and Sorrento, and a drive up the coast to enjoy the coastline scenery and to see Amalfi and Ravello. We revisted the coastline this past summer during a cruise stop in Salerno, hiring a driving to take us to Positano and back.

Enjoy! :)

Just an observation about mis leading marketing. Folks from all over the world are often attracted to the Amalfi Coast and want to experience it from the Amalfi Drive and/or from the sea view on a boat. But there are some boat tours that advertise the Amalfi Coast and simply take folks along the road from Naples to Sorrento. The drive between Naples and Sorrento does not go anywhere near the Amalfi Coast. So if somebody is advertising a tour of the Campagnia Coast is is possible that they are just covering-up the fact that they are not taking you along the Amalfi Coast.

Another marketing gimmick is used by many tours sold by the cruise lines. They will advertise a bus tour to the Amalfi Coast and say something like "you will see the beautiful cliff-side town of Positano." But the code word in that description is "see" which means that yes, you will "see" Positano. But you will only see it by looking down from your bus window or from a viewing area along the road. That is because no tour bus is ever allowed to enter Positano. So if you really want to walk in Positano you need to take a private van/car tour or get there on your own.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner