Anytime Dining on Coastals

SwimCarrie

Hi!

DH and I booked a cruise for our family of 4 and were able to book Early Dining. Last week, my in-laws decided to join us but Early Dining is full and they are #130 on the waitlist. ;) I know we can either meet with the Maitre D or change to Anytime Dining, but here's my question:

We tried Anytime Dining on a coastal to Mexico this past March. We made sure to be at the doors by 5:30pm, and there was still a decent line. (We got seated immediately once the doors opened, but there were still quite a few people in line before we got there). Also, our waiters were terribly slow each night and dinners went over 2 1/2 hours. Not so fun for the kiddos (or us trying to keep them on their best behavior!)

We are Platinum and the plan was to go to the reception first and take our time, then head to our "assigned table" instead of having to rush out of there to get to the line for Anytime Dining. Our plan would be fabulous expect now I want to have dinners with my inlaws, too! (Awww, so sweet, right?!)

Are the Anytime Dining rooms always so crowded? If we were able to make reservations for Anytime Dining, could we bypass the line? We tried to make Anytime Dining Reservations last time and they told us our group was too big (there were 9 of us!). This time, there will be 6.

(FWIW, we all are anti-buffet and won't pay more for the surcharge restaurants).

Advice for a happy fixed dining lover in an anytime dining situation?! LOL.

Thanks!

Hi!

DH and I booked a cruise for our family of 4 and were able to book Early Dining. Last week, my in-laws decided to join us but Early Dining is full and they are #130 on the waitlist. ;) I know we can either meet with the Maitre D or change to Anytime Dining, but here's my question:

We tried Anytime Dining on a coastal to Mexico this past March. We made sure to be at the doors by 5:30pm, and there was still a decent line. (We got seated immediately once the doors opened, but there were still quite a few people in line before we got there). Also, our waiters were terribly slow each night and dinners went over 2 1/2 hours. Not so fun for the kiddos (or us trying to keep them on their best behavior!)

We are Platinum and the plan was to go to the reception first and take our time, then head to our "assigned table" instead of having to rush out of there to get to the line for Anytime Dining. Our plan would be fabulous expect now I want to have dinners with my inlaws, too! (Awww, so sweet, right?!)

Are the Anytime Dining rooms always so crowded? If we were able to make reservations for Anytime Dining, could we bypass the line? We tried to make Anytime Dining Reservations last time and they told us our group was too big (there were 9 of us!). This time, there will be 6.

(FWIW, we all are anti-buffet and won't pay more for the surcharge restaurants).

Thanks!

Am I reading paragraph 3 correctly that you are suggesting keeping TD and wandering in when you feel like it? I think the TD is closed at about 15 minutes after the dining time.

Your post is extremely hard to understand.

Anytime Dining can and does have lengthy lines at peak times. Have you thought of going at a later time? Snacks around 4 or 5, then dinner around 7:00 or 7:30? It seems the early dining times are the most popular.

You can try also to make reservations, but you'll probably have to call every day.

Hi!

Thanks!

I will try to answer your concerns as best as I can. *In the U.S. market ATD is always crowded between 5:30 and 6pm, and normally fills up by 6pm. Those passengers wishing to wish to dine in the ATD rooms from 7:30 onwards are normally seated fairly quickly, because an additional DR opens for ATD at 7:30. *On boarding day there always seems to be additional crowds in the early time period. The DR may or may not accept reservations for the first night. *Being Platinum or even Elite has no bearing on dining, and I don't quite understand what you are trying to say in that paragraph. Also what reception are you speaking about? Are you going to try to get into the anytime DR first & then if the wait is too long go to your assigned table? Not a good plan, I would say. *If you change from traditional to ATD you can call the DINE line each morning and reserve a table for 6 for 5:30. Most ships accept reservations for that time. You don't actually bypass the line if you have a reservation. There is actually a separate line for those with reservations. You may not get the exact same table every night. It is possible some nights you may be placed at a table for 8 or 10 and be joined by others. *Finally here is how I think I would handle your situation. Knowing that Princess uses two DR's for early fixed seating I would meet with the Maitre'd on boarding day, asking if they could place all six at a traditional table OR cancel your traditional dining and make a cruise long reservation for 6 in the ATD room at 5:30.

We have found that Anytime Dining on the coastal cruises, especially the 3 and 4 day, are extremely crowded. As suggested you might want to eat later, 7:30, when the second anytime dining opens then you can go to the Platinum and Elite get together first without rushing. Our experience is you can call for a reservation but they normally steer you to 7:30 or later. They might even give you a permanent table after the first day on board.

Finally here is how I think I would handle your situation. Knowing that Princess uses two DR's for early fixed seating I would meet with the Maitre'd on boarding day, asking if they could place all six at a traditional table OR cancel your traditional dining and make a cruise long reservation for 6 in the ATD room at 5:30.

I agree completely with this recommendation.

Before the cruise: Make sure that your booking and your inlaws' booking are linked. You need to call Princess (if you booked directly) or your travel agent to do this. You will need the booking numbers of all of the bookings. Keep your traditional dining reservations and have your inlaws' keep their traditional dining waitlist positions.

When you get on the ship: The maître d' (or possibly a head waiter representing him) will be available in a dining room to deal with seating assignments. Go to him and request that you all be at the same traditional table or that you all have a standing reservation for six in the anytime dining room. I expect there is a very good chance that you will get a table for six at a fixed time in one of the dining rooms.

Thanks for the responses, all!

To be clear, the reception I'm talking about is for Platinum and Elite (usually in Skywalkers) with hor dourves and drink specials. In my experience, it has started at 5pm, leaving us little time to enjoy it before having to head to the dining room for traditional dining at 5:30. It would also be hard to get in line by 5:30pm to beat the rush for AD. We'd have to choose one or the other. With that in mind, I schedule 6pm dining this time so we had more time to enjoy it. (I would arrive at TD on time either way, of course).

I have a 4 and 6 year old, so any dining after about 6:30pm would be hard, as well. (Just hubby and I? No problem!!!)

I have never needed to meet with the Maitre D' before, so I just didn't know how successful it would be! I like the idea of getting a standing reservation for Anytime. Good idea!

Hope that clears it up! Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the responses, all!

To be clear, the reception I'm talking about is for Platinum and Elite (usually in Skywalkers) with hor dourves and drink specials. In my experience, it has started at 5pm, leaving us little time to enjoy it before having to head to the dining room for traditional dining at 5:30. It would also be hard to get in line by 5:30pm to beat the rush for AD. We'd have to choose one or the other. With that in mind, I schedule 6pm dining this time so we had more time to enjoy it. (I would arrive at TD on time either way, of course).

I have a 4 and 6 year old, so any dining after about 6:30pm would be hard, as well. (Just hubby and I? No problem!!!)

I have never needed to meet with the Maitre D' before, so I just didn't know how successful it would be! I like the idea of getting a standing reservation for Anytime. Good idea!

Hope that clears it up! Thanks for the input!

Traditional dining rarely starts at 6... Switch to anytime dining and see IF you can get reservations. Again, it's hit and miss. By the way, I've never seen young children at the platinum/elite/suite cocktail party.... You may not be able to bring them.

Good luck trying to figure everything out.

I agree completely with this recommendation.

Before the cruise: Make sure that your booking and your inlaws' booking are linked. You need to call Princess (if you booked directly) or your travel agent to do this. You will need the booking numbers of all of the bookings. Keep your traditional dining reservations and have your inlaws' keep their traditional dining waitlist positions.

When you get on the ship: The maître d' (or possibly a head waiter representing him) will be available in a dining room to deal with seating assignments. Go to him and request that you all be at the same traditional table or that you all have a standing reservation for six in the anytime dining room. I expect there is a very good chance that you will get a table for six at a fixed time in one of the dining rooms.

Great response. Linking the reservations will elevate your chances greatly.

I've done Anytime on several cruises and early or late, there's always been a line and wait. That's why I much prefer Traditional dining.

Same here. On the Golden last year, the maître d' refused to take reservations for ATD for the entire cruise, so don't count on being able to make them with ATD.

Our scheduled dining time on our itinerary is 6pm.

Our kids have gone to 3 platinum cocktail hours without issue. (Plus we've seen many, many others). Maybe they are all so well behaved they never noticed. ;)

What the itinerary shows and what happens can be two different things. TD can be 5:15 or clear to 6:30. The time will appear on your cruise card, and you won't know what it is until you are on board. They say "6" as a generic time, as opposed to "8," which can be 7:45 or some other times. BTW, I've seen kids in the PES lounge.

Definitely have your bookings linked as suggested above. (And make sure the personalizer shows you requested a table for six. I do not know if it was for four before your in-laws booked the cruise.)

When you get to the ship, check all of your cruise cards to see if everyone has the same dining room at the same time at the same table. If you do, no need to see the Maitre d'.

Definitely do not cancel your traditional reservation before the cruise. Only if the Maitre d' cannot get all six of you together should you then request anytime.

Edited by caribill