Riviera suite location opinion

Stentplacer

Need help from veteran cruisers.....will be selecting a Vista Suite on Rivera.

Have choice of up front looking at bow...or in back of ship.

I'm prone to motion sickness when ruff ....is one location better than the other or does it not matter.

Appreciate your opinion. Will need to make selection this week.

Best Regards!

I'm prone to motion sickness when ruff ....is one location better than the other or does it not matter.

Best Regards!

Generally speaking, motion is worse at the bow vs the aft. The only time I got seasick was in a bow cabin.

Edited by Paulchili

Best Regards!

Seems to me that you are a little confused on your Ship-Geography.

All of the Vista Suites face forward and two of the Oceania Suites face Aft, as do all three of the Owners Suites.

Which category were you considering?

We have been on Marina twice in a VS and once in an aft OC.

We actually had more motion when we were in the OC, but that was just for a day or two. It does depend on your itinerary and what the weather is at the time.

Usually, forward gets more action ...

Your itinerary might be very important in terms of answering your question.

Our first VS on Marina was on a Med cruise which was smooth the whole time. Next one was a TA from Barcelona to Rio (that was the OC) and the first couple of days were somewhat difficult. (I am generally uncomfortable with a lot of motion and my husband should have been a sailor, but on this cruise he was more bothered than I was -- I think because we had forward and sideways motion at the same time for the first day or two.)

Then we had a VS from NY to Dover through the North Atlantic in May 2014 -- I can't remember any problems even though we had to pass up a port or two.

We had a forward PH on Marina in April/May 2015 and I don't recall rough seas there.

Hope this helps ... We have booked a VS on Sirena (the new "R" ship) going from Barcelona to NYC in October '16 and I'm not worried about the possible motion even though I'm prone to ... well ... urp. Lately I have done better than I have done in the past.

Mura

Then my guess would be that a VS would be okay -- and you would have great views going into ports. OTOH, sometimes there's a lot of noise from anchors and such when you are so far forward.

Playing it safe, in terms of mal de mer, than you might want to opt for an OC.

I will NEVER EVER guarantee that a location will be perfect, because you never know ...

I should add that we really loved our aft OC for the views ... and it has a fabulous veranda that wraps around. (The VS also has the wrap-around veranda, but the Deck 12 OCs -- Jim&Stan will correct me if I am wrong -- do not have as much room on the veranda. They DO have more room in the suite. The Deck 11 OCs have a second half-bath whereas the Deck 12 OCs have a second full bath.

We were happy with the half bath ...

Mura

You are correct

Vista suites are front facing. If bow suites are much better for motion..we can consider the Oceania Suite.

I really don't want to ruin trip with motion issues when I can choose a better location

Do you feel is that big a difference??

Mid ship is best ;)

It will depend on the motion of the ocean but the aft cabins are not a bumpy as the forward cabins if there is any swells or rough seas

I would take the aft cabins or the Deck 12 Oceania Suites if you want a suite

jmo

It looks like the Owners Suites are spoken for on that sailing, so your choice is going to be between the forward facing Vista Suites or one of the Oceania Suites.

Typically, the front of the ship gets more motion, but on the other hand the Oceania Suites are only on decks 11 and 12 which is fairly high in the ships superstructure.

Let's narrow it down this way:

• The front of the ship feels the rise and fall of the bow as the ship moves through the ocean, more than the stern would.
  • Higher decks will feel rocking (from side to side) more than the lower decks.
  • At the back of the ship, there is more engine noise/vibration and the possibility of outdoor smuts from the funnel.

If none of the above makes sense, get thee to a Travel Agent, who will explain it all to you in detail. ;)

You are correct

Vista suites are front facing. If bow suites are much better for motion..we can consider the Oceania Suite.

I really don't want to ruin trip with motion issues when I can choose a better location

Do you feel is that big a difference??

We always take the Riviera Oceania suite on deck 12 closest to the pool, this is as much mid ship as possible. A huge advantage for us is 2 full baths. The Oceania suites on the other deck don't have 2 full baths.

The Oceania Suites 12014 & 12017 are both available for your cruise. They are the ones closest to mid ship that you can get. If you're worried about sea sickness I'd book one of these. They are great suites, and less money than either the Vista or Owners

Edited by ORV

We stayed in the Oceania Suite in the back of ship, very nice suite. The crew that takes care of your suite takes care of the other cabins on the floor (your the only suite) and as they put it "your are top cabin"---and that's the way they took care of it. When we left the suite, they came right in and took care of everything asap. WE like to stay in the Owners Suite, but it wasn't to be on this trip---but I was happy with Oceania Suite.

Rick

Ron,

I will just point out that there are TWO OCs at the aft ... the occupants of other one might take slight umbrage at your comment!

I will grant that probably there is one butler serving the port suite and another serving the starboard suite ... in which case your statement is correct.

We personally loved it, especially the huge balcony. I was happy to forego a second full bath for a half bath just to have that balcony. And I got some great photos showing Regent trying to parallel park in back of us at one port ...

Mura