Meet and greet gifts

jazzyallday

I am attending my first roll call meet and greet. We are doing a gift exchange of 10 dollars or less from your home base. I was wondering what have been some good gifts you have received, given or would have like to get?

Please and thank you!

I no longer do the gift exchange since the gift I received on the cruise when I did participate was note cards with views of the person's home town. It included envelopes but I had no use for the notecards. I had given a canvas tote bag from my state. The recipient seemed to appreciate it. I could have used a gift like that for grocery shopping but maybe someone else wouldn't.

Personally I did not see any gifts exchanged that I would have liked to receive so I have never taken part in another gift exchange although I do take part in the Meet n Greet. It is too hard to know what a stranger would like.

Edited by NMLady

I have taken calendars, hats/visors, Christmas ornaments, decks of cards and have received similar items. Personally like Christmas ornaments as each year they bring back memories of certain people or a certain cruise. Realize, however, that not everyone celebrates Christmas - have a very cute "ornament" that says happy new year from Alaska that could be used as a decoration not necessarily on a tree.

I usually give ornaments of the Big Apple or a NY landmark (that can be used as a decoration not necessarily on a Christmas tree), or a TShirt from NY.

The best gift I've received was a bottle of local wine from the gifter's region.

(I would have loved to receive the Olive Wood crosses from Jerusalem that dani negreanu mentioned in post #2)

I like to give Tervis Tumblers as a gift. I usually pick one with a beach theme on it. It can be used on the cruise to keep drinks hot or cold.

Hi there

Do you mean like the ones they give out as platinum gifts?

:)

I know it's the thought that counts, but I too just opt out.

I go the M & G just to meet the other roll call members, to be sociable and maybe make a friend.

happy sailing everyone

I like to give Tervis Tumblers as a gift.

I want to be on a M&G with you. Wow!

The only time I really got involved with a Roll Call (Meet & Greet) my wife and I brought some CCL key chains for the group.

QTPie :cool:

Edited by QTPieTrader

I bought some olive wood crosses in Jerusalem and gave them at the M&M to people whom I thought would appreciate them.

Indeed, they were.

This is one of the reasons I stopped participating in M & G's. (Not the only one). Not everyone is Christian. What did you do for people who did not appreciate being given a cross? It makes for discomfort on their part and maybe ? on your part.

I don't want to get into choosing, buying, packing, carrying things the vast majority of people getting this stuff don't even want or like. They are strangers. Who knows what they want or what religion they may be?

This is one of the reasons I stopped participating in M & G's. (Not the only one). Not everyone is Christian. What did you do for people who did not appreciate being given a cross? It makes for discomfort on their part and maybe ? on your part.

I don't want to get into choosing, buying, packing, carrying things the vast majority of people getting this stuff don't even want or like. They are strangers. Who knows what they want or what religion they may be?

Chill....the poster said he gives the crosses to people who would enjoy them. I'm sure he doesn't stand there and try to convert fellow passengers.

I would follow the same rule at any gift exchange. Bring something which is not bulky, may be used by anyone or is consumable (without common allergens). Chocolate is good, as are things like decks of cards, pens, local edibles (unless you are from Washington..lol), etc.

There are people who are allergic to chocolate.

I so agree. I'm not a Christian and feel this is more a gift you give directly to a person you feel would treasure it. And yes, I understand no one has to take it, but to me, it's an assumption that everyone is the same religion. The young (six or seven) daughter of a friend had been given a necklace with a cross for a birthday present by one of her father's relatives. The problem is that she was being brought up by her mother as Jewish. Maybe it was a mistake on the relative's part but if she/he knew this, then it would be a poor gift.

There are many generic gifts you can find in your hometown store, but the one time I was part of a roll call doing a gift exchange I didn't take part as I figure why would someone want a key chain with the name of my suburb on it.

Chill....the poster said he gives the crosses to people who would enjoy them. I'm sure he doesn't stand there and try to convert fellow passengers.

No, I don't think chill is the right answer.

The only way the poster could know if a person would enjoy receiving a cross from a stranger is to ask them or if he/she sees them wearing a cross.

There is nothing polite, cordial or welcome to meet someone new and just about right away ask their religion.

Of course, you don't need to agree with me but I am not prone to 'chill' and think it okay for that to be a 'conversation start question.'

To me, asking a question such as that is as rude as asking how much money someone earns, their sexual orientation or something quite as private.

Another reason to not participate in M & G if this is what now goes on at those meetings. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

Actually, the poster said "whom I thought would appreciate them", not "know would appreciate them." It is presumptuous to assume that someone would enjoy a religious gift unless the giver were absolutely certain of the recipient's religious interests. Giving religious items to strangers reeks of evangelism. A meet and greet event is NOT the place to spread one's religious beliefs.

No, I don't think chill is the right answer.

The only way the poster could know if a person would enjoy receiving a cross from a stranger is to ask them or if he/she sees them wearing a cross.

There is nothing polite, cordial or welcome to meet someone new and just about right away ask their religion.

Of course, you don't need to agree with me but I am not prone to 'chill' and think it okay for that to be a 'conversation start question.'

To me, asking a question such as that is as rude as asking how much money someone earns, their sexual orientation or something quite as private.

Another reason to not participate in M & G if this is what now goes on at those meetings. :eek:

I agree. I have no idea why someone organizing a meet and greet would require people to have to shop for cheap trinkets for complete strangers. Gifts should be given as a thoughtful acknowledgment that you care about someone. Bringing cheap trinkets to exchange with complete strangers is not my idea of what an adult gathering like a meet and greet should be.

I stopped trading useless trinkets in elementary school. I am not interested in re-enacting my childhood activities for the pleasure of the organizer by playing childish games. I also would not participate.

What the heck were they thinking????

Edited by PTMary

IMHO there is nothing wrong with participating or not participating in gift/trinket exchanges and those who do or do not should not criticize those of different opinion. While in Ketchican this summer, people were going crazy purchasing "items from Alaska". We have those same items here in Bellingham as being the closest US port to Alaska, we share alot of the same artists. Would I have purchased anything there...no, but it think it is great that many do. So just maybe something I bring from my hometown might be very wanted by another. And if you don't want to participate, please don't...but you should not criticize those who may enjoy partaking in the event. Conversly, if you do not participate, you should not be looked down upon or be made to feel excluded from the main event.

Thanks for your opinions. I did not mean for this post to be so controversial. The title said meet and greet gifts. Why would you respond if you hate the idea of it?

Some people wear crosses aren't for religious reasons. If you don't like it say thank you and toss it later. Why make a big deal?

Also I don't think it is childish thing to try and make a connection with a stranger by way of a trinket. The meet and greet is something voluntary and some people like it. I have never been to a M&G and if I hate I probably will still go because you never know what will happen.

Have a fantastic week!

Happy cruising and stay positive!

I bought some olive wood crosses in Jerusalem and gave them at the M&M to people whom I thought would appreciate them.

Indeed, they were.

What if the recipient is not Christian. What is he supposed to do with a cross. If someone gave me a cross as a gift, I would toss it in the trash and that is not what the presented intended to be done with the item. Same comment applies to the respondent who says that he gives Christmas ornaments.

Your comment that you would give the cross only to people is not useful as you can not tell if a person wants a cross unless they happen to be wearing one around their neck.

Giving anything with a religious connotation is dicey unless you really know the person.

DON

Someone from Canada brought some REAL maple syrup...we were the lucky recipients.

Wow, that gift may have been from me.

That is what I usually bring. Sometimes it's maple fudge instead.

On what cruise did you receive the maple syrup?

I have never participated in a M&G where we exchanged gifts. If I did, and did not have to bring something from where I live, I would buy the Cruise Critic reusable grocery bags. They weigh next to nothing and can be used for a variety of things (I put laundry in them when cruising).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=43

Not everyone is Christian. What did you do for people who did not appreciate being given a cross? It makes for discomfort on their part and maybe ? on your part.

They are strangers. Who knows what they want or what religion they may be?

I so agree. I'm not a Christian and feel this is more a gift you give directly to a person you feel would treasure it. And yes, I understand no one has to take it, but to me, it's an assumption that everyone is the same religion.

Actually, the poster said "whom I thought would appreciate them", not "know would appreciate them." It is presumptuous to assume that someone would enjoy a religious gift unless the giver were absolutely certain of the recipient's religious interests. Giving religious items to strangers reeks of evangelism. A meet and greet event is NOT the place to spread one's religious beliefs.

I couldn't imagine my short answer to a legit question would result into such a "religious" debate, and to clarify all the points raised in the above quotations, I'd like to explain:

I'm a 65 years Jewish woman, VERY nonbeliever and nonobservant. BTW, Judaism is not a missionary religion. People asking to convert are facing many hardships and difficulties.

But, to the point: Sometimes you participate in a roll call over more than 1 year, people get more "personal" and speak about themselves.

I assume that I'm the only one posting from Israel on this forums. Many times people notice where I live and comment. For example: "I wish I could visit Jesus's birthing place, making the pilgrimage on Via Dolorosa, visit Nazareth, the Sea of Galilee, Beth-Lehem, etc.", BUT "I can't afford, it is too far, I can't fly, it's too dangerous, etc." A safe bet they are Christians.

Or, during the "conversations" on the roll call they mention being part of a church group, or just went to Mass, or their grandkid just had his confirmation -- a safe bet they are Christians.

Friendships are formed on those roll calls with people who arrange a private excursion, you exchange e-mails, and everyone is talking a little more about themselves.

I had crosses with me for the exact number of people whom I knew for sure that they are 1. Christians 2. will appreciate my gesture for what it is - a small token from the Holy Land. When we actually met, I took one of them out and asked with a smile "Would you like a small memento which I brought especially for this occasion from Jerusalem".

EVERYONE was moved and thankful for my gesture.

Ah, and one more thing - for my upcoming M&M on the Anthem next week - nobody expressed any interest in my being from Israel - no gifts [no crosses] this time :)