Pre-cruise Spending For Mariner Points

Psee

Hi,

We have used the HAL website to pre-purchase indulgence packages, wine, and dinner packages for our cruise. The charges have been applied to our Mariner's daily $300/day point balance. When I spoke to an agent a few days ago he said any pre-purchase items would not be included in this balance.

I've read several threads that say pre-purchase items are included so wondering if the policy has changed.

Thanks!:)

Not that anyone has posted here! And if there had been a change in policy, it would have been posted here.

The money won't count until you take the cruise, though, because you could cancel the reservations. But once you do take the cruise, and keep the reservations, those things you purchased in advance most certainly will count.

All my prepaid purchases have always counted.

you talked to Seattle right? call them three times, get three answers.

Call the Mariners' society if you want to double check, but seriously, if those didn't count I wouldn't be 5*.

they have never not included ours and we just got off in May this year and the rules hadn't changed.

Within days of the end of your cruise, you can go to Mariner's Page on the HAL site and you will see all spending credited and each $300 will earn you a Mariners Day added to your account. All spending means everything pre-cruise and while on your cruise.

If, indeed, you have seen your pre-cruise spending already added to your total days when checking your account, should you cancel your cruise or any of the things you have purchased, those days will be removed.

Edited by sail7seas

Hi,

We have used the HAL website to pre-purchase indulgence packages, wine, and dinner packages for our cruise. The charges have been applied to our Mariner's daily $300/day point balance. When I spoke to an agent a few days ago he said any pre-purchase items would not be included in this balance.

I've read several threads that say pre-purchase items are included so wondering if the policy has changed.

If you want anecdotal info on what HAL's policy was at some point in the past (and may or may not be in the future), you'll find plenty of it here. However, if you want reliable info, contact the HAL Mariner Society at 800-547-9139 or if outside the US at 206-281-3535 (Ext 8353).

Edited by avian777

Hi,

They still count. I know this is only one anecdote, but at least it's recent--my cruise was a few weeks ago. Another nice thing is that if you have OBC, the onboard spending paid by it counts toward mariner points, too. It isn't your final balance, it's your total spend. For example, if you have $300 OBC and use it on board, ending with a zero balance, you'd get the mariner day-point for that $300.

They still count. I know this is only one anecdote, but at least it's recent--my cruise was a few weeks ago. Another nice thing is that if you have OBC, the onboard spending paid by it counts toward mariner points, too. It isn't your final balance, it's your total spend. For example, if you have $300 OBC and use it on board, ending with a zero balance, you'd get the mariner day-point for that $300.

Great to know, thanks! I didn't have any OBC on my HAL cruise but do have it for my next one but didn't think it would count.

Good point. An interesting observation - I have a $800 OBC for my upcoming cruise from the Anniversary sale. Assuming I spend it all, this gives me almost 3 extra days. Now, if I had a free Signature Beverage Package (or Explore4) instead, the "free" drinks would not earn me anything toward the Mariner days! Confusing.

Good point. An interesting observation - I have a $800 OBC for my upcoming cruise from the Anniversary sale. Assuming I spend it all, this gives me almost 3 extra days. Now, if I had a free Signature Beverage Package (or Explore4) instead, the "free" drinks would not earn me anything toward the Mariner days! Confusing.

Thanks, Dave! I never thought of the E4 vs the Anniversayr Sale perks like that before. For my next cruise, the E4 promo came out after I had booked under the Anniversary Sale. The fare, including E4, would have cost us more, and we would have lost the perks from the Anniversary Sale. For us, the value of the E4 pretty much equalled the Anniversary Sale perks so we kept the Anniversary Sale. I should have realized that with the Anniversary OBC, we would gain the extra days which we wouldn't with the E4.

Hi,

Absolutely it counts! As Ruth has said if and only if the policy changed it would have posted here!! I have already spent over 1000 with pre paid items I have purchased on my HAL website acct!

They will not show till after the sail!

Denise😄

If you want anecdotal info on what HAL's policy was at some point in the past (and may or may not be in the future), you'll find plenty of it here. However, if you want reliable info, contact the HAL Mariner Society at 800-547-9139 or if outside the US at 206-281-3535 (Ext 8353).

It's information from people who have experienced the situation. Much more reliable than any other source.

I pre-booked an excursion for my husband and I on our upcoming cruise and the total for the both of us was around $220 which was charged to my credit card. My question is ...

If each of us are using one of the excursions bought does that mean he gets $110 towards his account spending to garner points and so do I or does the $220 go completely against my account spending ? I hope the way i worded that makes sense.

If each of us are using one of the excursions bought does that mean he gets $110 towards his account spending to garner points and so do I or does the $220 go completely against my account spending ? I hope the way i worded that makes sense.

Neither of the above. :( But don't put on a frowny face! :)

You both get credit for the full $220! :eek: That is, unless you have different booking numbers, or run separate credit cards for your bills.

What a deal. :D

It's information from people who have experienced the situation. Much more reliable than any other source.

"information from people who have experienced the situation" is only 100% accurate ("more reliable") for the past - it may or may not reflect the present or the future. As such. since HAL is able to advise with 100% certainty what its Mariner Society policy/practice is, I stand by my OP. If I need reliable info on a HAL cruise or policy, I will continue to ask the appropriate Department at HAL, AND I will continue to read CC posts for their anecdotal value. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by avian777

I could not have said it better Dave!

Thank you!

Denise :)

I agree.

The chance of that policy having changed and people not getting credit for pre-cruise spending not being reported here is less than zip, zero, to none. :D

If Mariners Society stopped awarding the bonus spending days for pre-booking excursions, alternative dining etc it absolutely would have been reported here if it happened as little as 60 minutes ago. :D :D

Neither of the above. :( But don't put on a frowny face! :)

You both get credit for the full $220! :eek: That is, unless you have different booking numbers, or run separate credit cards for your bills.

What a deal. :D

Im pretty sure we would have the same booking number, as we were booked in the same cabin and i booked us both on the trip at the same time. But.. we generally do use separate credit cards attached to our separate passenger cards. So maybe its more beneficial to have both on board accounts attached to one credit card ?

Thanks Ruth. :)

I won't swear the same credit card matters, but ....

A couple of years ago I shared a cabin with someone, and we were on the same booking number. But we ran separate accounts for paying the on-board bills. Our spending was not merged.

So, based on that I think it would be more advantageous if you combined your on-board accounts this time.

Im pretty sure we would have the same booking number, as we were booked in the same cabin and i booked us both on the trip at the same time. But.. we generally do use separate credit cards attached to our separate passenger cards. So maybe its more beneficial to have both on board accounts attached to one credit card ?

Thanks Ruth. :)

I won't swear the same credit card matters, but ....

A couple of years ago I shared a cabin with someone, and we were on the same booking number. But we ran separate accounts for paying the on-board bills. Our spending was not merged.

So, based on that I think it would be more advantageous if you combined your on-board accounts this time.

I've cruised with my DM, in the same cabin, having both separate accounts/credit cards and combined depending on how much OBC we had to spend between the two of us. There was no difference for us; we both received the same number of cruise day credits. I thought the calculation is based on the total spent by everyone in the cabin but the cruise day credits are only credited to the first and second pax (not third and fourth).

Found the info on the HAL website: Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

From about our third HAL cruise onwards, I've regularly booked cabin flowers, dining experiences, and shore excursions etc, online before the cruise, and have always had the full amount accredited to my onboard spending totals, and thus my/our Mariner Society totals afterwards.

Maybe some people are erroneously expecting to see these totals added to their Mariner Society accounts beforehand??

Logically speaking, it just would NOT be in HAL's best future business interest, to pursue this alleged policy, as any pre-cruise booking revenues that they currently enjoy would definitely and most surely plummet?

To say nothing of all the entire business pre-planning advantages and expectations, being severely compromised by complete demand uncertainty?

Peter & Alan.

I've cruised with my DM, in the same cabin, having both separate accounts/credit cards and combined depending on how much OBC we had to spend between the two of us. There was no difference for us; we both received the same number of cruise day credits. I thought the calculation is based on the total spent by everyone in the cabin but the cruise day credits are only credited to the first and second pax (not third and fourth).

Found the info on the HAL website: Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

WOO HOO!! :) :) :)

Thanks RuthC and Alberta Quilter. You two just made my day. :D