Koningsdam updates: Movies pool-side at night and new video

sppunk

A new video was uploaded with a few new glimpses at the Kpningsdam. Some is old, some is new.

Most notable is the lido pool will now feature movies under the stars at night, complete with chair side service from Dive In, the pizza/deli and gelato stands.

This implies Dive In won't close at 5 or 6 p.m. anymore either.

Movies under the stars with all that accompanies it (loud music during the day) is just about the last thing I'd like to have on HAL ship.

Hope those who welcome such things on HAL ships, enjoy it.

Put me on the list who is getting less and less interested in HAL's newest vessel.

I'd like to see more about the library/Explorer's Lounge. I can't find any space devoted to more than a minimal library or adequate seating and computer terminals in Exploration? Where is it?

Edited by sail7seas

Movies under the stars with all that accompanies it (loud music during the day) is just about the last thing I'd like to have on HAL ship.

Hope those who welcome such things on HAL ships, enjoy it.

Put me on the list who is getting less and less interested in HAL's newest vessel.

I'd like to see more about the library/Explorer's Lounge. I can't find any space devoted to more than a minimal library or adequate seating and computer terminals in Exploration? Where is it?

There is no mention of any daytime movies or loud music. It just utilize a space that at night is mostly always empty. More options is always good when they don't destroy other preferences.

Crow's Nest will continue to have Explorations Cafe and library like exists on many current HAL ships.

They put one of those contraptions on Veendam and we were advised they would be playing music all day. With great help from some unknown source, the 'darn' thing didn't work and we were able to avoid boom, boom, boom blaring from the speakers.

One can only 'guess' they have the same plan for Koningsdam but presumably it will work as intended.

There is no mention of any daytime movies or loud music. It just utilize a space that at night is mostly always empty. More options is always good when they don't destroy other preferences.

Crow's Nest will continue to have Explorations Cafe and library like exists on many current HAL ships.

Have you carefully looked at the diagrams of Explorations/Library? Yes, it is there but have you thought about how much space is devoted to it? Like on others ships? I'm not sure. It seems it could be a quite abbreviated size.

They put one of those contraptions on Veendam and we were advised they would be playing music all day. With great help from some unknown source, the 'darn' thing didn't work and we were able to avoid boom, boom, boom blaring from the speakers.

One can only 'guess' they have the same plan for Koningsdam but presumably it will work as intended.

I had a skepticism of MUTS until we sailed on Dawn Princess last month. None of what you mention occurred. Yes, they had some technical difficulties, and a couple of CD announcements that interrupted what we wished to see. Other than those, we are sold on MUTS. As mentioned, it uses an area not normally used at certain times, like 7-10pm.

No ship in the fleet blasts music all day. We have zero news or evidence it'll be introduced on Koningsdam.

I had a skepticism of MUTS until we sailed on Dawn Princess last month. None of what you mention occurred. Yes, they had some technical difficulties, and a couple of CD announcements that interrupted what we wished to see. Other than those, we are sold on MUTS. As mentioned, it uses an area not normally used at certain times, like 7-10pm.

We've now been on three Princess cruises and also like MUTS. The sound system is wonderful in that it is a clear sound that does not have to be extremely loud to be heard everywhere on that deck. Most of Princess' sound systems in the lounges, on deck, in the showroom and in the staterooms seem to be of much better quality that HAL's. Hopefully the new addition to the Koningsdam will incorporate some of that technology.

One of our favorite cruise memories is watching The Queen up on deck while sailing away from Cartegena late one night aboard the Island Princess. It was just magical.

Edited by sppunk

We've now been on three Princess cruises and also like MUTS. The sound system is wonderful in that it is a clear sound that does not have to be extremely loud to be heard everywhere on that deck. Most of Princess' sound systems in the lounges, on deck, in the showroom and in the staterooms seem to be of much better quality that HAL's. Hopefully the new addition to the Koningsdam will incorporate some of that technology.

If this is the case, and the sound is not blaring, I think I would quite welcome a MUTS. I'm on the Koningsdam in about a year, so will be able to check it out.

So far I am not impressed with this new ship.

Several years ago we had booked a cruise on the Emerald Princess. The cabin we selected was 2 decks below MUTS. In St Thomas we were on a HAL ship and docked across from the Emerald in Crown Bay. I was out on our verandah when I heard all this noise. I looked over and was able to watch MUTS and hear it as well. It was LOUD!! When we got home, we cancelled that cruise.

I say keep the top of ships clean of this sort of light pollution. A person may have a couple of hours in the evening to go out and experience the night sky at sea. Does this not limit and degrade that experience? When a timeless experience meets an entertainment option, I say the latter must give way.

Making it all the sadder is that a year later you wouldn't pay 50 cents for the dvd of the movie.

-

I say keep the top of ships clean of this sort of light pollution. A person may have a couple of hours in the evening to go out and experience the night sky at sea. Does this not limit and degrade that experience? When a timeless experience meets an entertainment option, I say the latter must give way.

Making it all the sadder is that a year later you wouldn't pay 50 cents for the dvd of the movie.

-

There will be plenty of open deck space up top without this disturbing the light. The aft pool, the forward observation decks, the rails up top, etc. The lido area is full of light pollution already - you can't stargaze there regardless.

I think it will be an improvement on the new HAL ship. They have to keep up with the times and movies under the stars is popular on ships.

There is always "quiet" places to go on HAL ships so let's wait and see before we pass judgment on the new ship before it even sails.

Some people just can't accept ANY change and times are definitely changing.

I, for one, can't wait for the Koningsdam. :)

No ship in the fleet blasts music all day. We have zero news or evidence it'll be introduced on Koningsdam.

It may not be ALL day, but if our experience last year in St. Thomas is any indication, it was at least most of the day. Between that and those ridiculously tiny balconies, we will stay away. OTH, occasional evening movies on the pool deck would be fine.

So far I am not impressed with this new ship.

Several years ago we had booked a cruise on the Emerald Princess. The cabin we selected was 2 decks below MUTS. In St Thomas we were on a HAL ship and docked across from the Emerald in Crown Bay. I was out on our verandah when I heard all this noise. I looked over and was able to watch MUTS and hear it as well. It was LOUD!! When we got home, we cancelled that cruise.

It may not be ALL day, but if our experience last year in St. Thomas is any indication, it was at least most of the day. Between that and those ridiculously tiny balconies, we will stay away. OTH, occasional evening movies on the pool deck would be fine.

At least three of us have now reported what we personally experienced re: MUTS blaring noise.

I cannot say enough bad things about how unpleasant the noise was for us and it wasn't even our ship. :eek:

As to lots of quiet places on HAL ships, that is not nearly as accurate as it used to be. Not even Explorers Lounge is quiet during the day anymore. Lots of people used to enjoy that quiet place to read or have a quiet chat but canned music is played there now as well as most other public areas.

I agree with Sail about the canned music everywhere, but if HAL is going to continue to survive after the old guard ages out they have to offer some of the things that younger family cruisers love. it's just good business. This is why trying other (maybe not mainstream) lines is a good idea. For us that means maybe not cruising as often, but getting back that special feeling we used to have with HAL.

Since someone seems to be keeping count of the for/against factions, please note it now stands at 7 for and 3 against ... a margin any presidential candidate would die for ;)

Someone is me.... :) ;)

And you seem to be correct.

I have mixed feelings about this having sailed with Princess quite a bit. I am onboard with the idea as long as it is primarily "under the stars" and doesn't turn into "movies and concerts all day long" as has happened on some Princess cruises....

By the way, I'd have to wonder if there is some odd carrying of sound across the water as regards to the experiences some have had. It is not generally overly loud onboard the ship -- perhaps the sound amplifies over water?

By the way, I'd have to wonder if there is some odd carrying of sound across the water as regards to the experiences some have had. It is not generally overly loud onboard the ship -- perhaps the sound amplifies over water?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. We have been on Princess a few times and found the sound (both level and quality) in all their venues much superior to anything on HAL. It probably does not carry well across the ships, but if you are actually on a Princess ship, the sound is quite nice; not too loud and very easy to listen too. May explain why it sounded so terrible to other folks on other ships but it was quite nice while we were listening to it. HAL could keep it to easy listening popular music during the daytime (much better than 8 hours a day of steel drums in the Caribbean) and show movies at night for those who may be interested. I'm positive they will figure it out in time so let's give them the chance.

Edited by taxmantoo