Honolulu/Oahu Plans - Please Help

sjmbruce

Hopefully we'll arrive in Honolulu around 4pm on a Wednesday and then getting on POA on Saturday.

-Wednesday I'd like to rent a car at the airport, check into the hotel, have dinner and go to the beach.

-Thursday my plan is to get up early and hike Diamond Head. Since we'll be om Eastern Standard Time, I'm sure getting to the park by 6am won't be an issue. Afterwards, I'd like to drive the North Shore.

-Friday, I'm looking into snorkeling. If we do our own from the beach, plans can be a little more flexible. If I go with a catamaran that takes a small group further out, it will be a few hours in the late morning/early afternoon. Then we'd spend the rest of the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Does this seem manageable? Am I missing something huge? My husband and I prefer nature and I love photo opportunities, especially of landscapes, waterfalls, ect.

Hopefully we'll arrive in Honolulu around 4pm on a Wednesday and then getting on POA on Saturday.

-Wednesday I'd like to rent a car at the airport, check into the hotel, have dinner and go to the beach.

-Thursday my plan is to get up early and hike Diamond Head. Since we'll be om Eastern Standard Time, I'm sure getting to the park by 6am won't be an issue. Afterwards, I'd like to drive the North Shore.

-Friday, I'm looking into snorkeling. If we do our own from the beach, plans can be a little more flexible. If I go with a catamaran that takes a small group further out, it will be a few hours in the late morning/early afternoon. Then we'd spend the rest of the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Does this seem manageable? Am I missing something huge? My husband and I prefer nature and I love photo opportunities, especially of landscapes, waterfalls, ect.

Wednesday. Are you staying in Waikiki, on or close proximity to the beach? If you arrive at 4:00 it likely will be at least 5:30 or even later before you get to your room with picking up rental car and all. Then dinner somewhere. Then beach?? Don't forget that at 7:00 pm Hawaii time it will be 1:00 am body time. You may end up ditching the beach for bed.:p. A walk down Waikiki beach or the Boardwalk along the beach is nice going to and from dinner. Most of the hotels have beachfront restaurants and bars.

Thursday. Your plan sounds good to me. You might get some beach time on the North Shore where there are some gorgeous beaches, but parking is not always easy. Your route will probably take you up the Windward Coast where the road runs between the Koolau Mountains and the ocean. ( this is one of my favorite places in all the islands ). Also some very nice and very empty beaches along here. This route will take you right past the Polynesian Cultural Center, so you might just want to stop then. Read the reviews for this place carefully. Most people spend a full day, so I don't know about a short visit. To me, it just seems like a tourist trap and I'd rather be out seeing the real island. Given your comment about nature and photo ops, I'd head to Kualoa Ranch instead, just beyond PCC, and maybe do a movie sites tour. We did the ATV which takes you to a high valley sandwiched between two mountains with vistas to the sea. The most gorgeous thing I have ever seen with two feet on the ground. You could do this on your North Shore Day, or return there on Friday. They have many types of tours, including horseback.

Friday. Maui is more known for snorkeling, like that at Molokini Crater, and the water around the Big Island, Hawaii is gorgeous. Many people plan a snorkeling trip from Kona, especially by catamaran to Kealakekua Bay next to the Captain Cook Monument. If you want beach snorkeling in Oahu, Hanauma Bay is like a big fishbowl. Parking sometimes reaches max capacity. If you go, go as early as possible. There may be some nice boat snorkeling as well.

One other thought, you might check out Waimea Valley as you go through the North Shore. There is a paved botanical garden type walk up through the valley past some historical sites back to a waterfall. Very beautiful and was a nice opportunity for a stretch of the legs and a snack and a look round the gift shop.

Enjoy your trip!

Agree with above post regarding snorkeling on the other islands. As for the Polynesian Cultural Center, the island groups that are represented each have their own 15-20+ minute show or presentation... the see them all, you need to be there when the center opens and plan to stay until the final show. I would recommend seeing the show in "Samoa" last... and if you're lucky, Kap will be the presenter.

Just so you know, there is NO alcohol served in the park, and if you're planning to stay for the luau and the show, keep in mind the drive back to Honolulu is on a windy, two lane road, with very little, if any street lights. Couple that, with the fact that your body is still in another time zone... it could be a dangerous combination.

We drove ourselves and opted out of the luau & show. The traffic wasn't bad at all, although the road is down to one lane (traffic alternates) due to construction a few miles south of the cultural center. We made it back to Waikiki in time to have Mongolian BBQ at our hotel!

Your arrival day is my only real concern. You are probably going to be exhausted as soon as you finish dinner, so you should just plan on dinner and heading to bed that day.

On Thursday after hiking Diamond Head I would go to Hanauma Bay and snorkel for a bit before heading to the North Shore by driving the east side of the island. There are a number of beaches and good photo ops along this route. A stop for lunch at the shrimp truck would be very appropriate too.

Friday I would think that a trip to Pearl Harbor would be in order even more so than the Cultural Center, then you could explore some of the mountains and park sin the Honolulu area for photo ops. Then when you get back to your hotel you could snorkel.

I would use Saturday morning to explore Waikiki and snorkel some more before heading to the ship. You really need to get some pictures from here.

The most important thing is to be flexible, don't try to plan too much and go with the flow.

Edited by zqvol

Besides being exhausted by the time you are done with dinner, to depending on time of year it is highly likely that the sun will be gone by the time you are done with dinner. Currently the sun is setting about 6:25, it will continue to set earlier for some months now setting about 5:30 at the earliest. In summer the latest it sets is 7:30, so that would be the only time of year you even have a chance of making it to the beach after dinner.

Honestly a lot of your plans I may have some suggestions for depending on exactly what time of year it is. What month is your trip?

~Katy

You will probably be up at 4 in the morning!!! Going from East Coast time to Hawaiian time takes 2 days, easy, to get used to! Definitely can the beach idea on your arrival day.

We arrived at the same time (probably the same flight!!!) and by 8pm, I was so done, I thought I would die. I had to go to bed! But...up before sunrise...and nothing to do!!!! Like I said...it takes time to get your body adjusted!

Edited by cb at sea

I'm a snorkel snob and don't find any "good" snorkeling on Oahu- Hanauma Bay is so so at best, in my opinion. The parking lot is sometimes filled up by 9a. With your cruise offering you Maui and Kona- take advantage and experience some really GOOD snorkeling on both of those islands. Both have excellent beach entry snorkeling areas. Especially easy to have a 2 day rental car in Maui and get on an early snorkel trip the second day for Molokini Crater. Well worth an early start.

Also- verify your parking availability and costs.

I have to disagree about there not being good snorkeling on Oahu. I haven't been to Hanauma bay yet, because o refuse to battle crowds and pay for parking when there's good snorkeling elsewhere on the island. I wasn't impressed with the snorkeling we did on a tour in Maui, it was supposed to be molokini but was too windy to go there so we were taken north instead. And yeah, I have better snorkeling 15 minutes from my house in Oahu than I experienced there. I did enjoy snorkeling off the beach on the Big Island quite a bit, though.

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for when snorkeling.

~Katy

Thank you all for the helpful advice and suggestions!

We will be in Honolulu in late March.

I'm a little worried with what I have been reading about beaches being full by 9am....are we going to be driving around just passing full parking lots?

We have made the trek from the East Coast USA to Alaska and Hawaii and the Hawaii one just seems far worse for some reason. I don't know why but it took us a solid day (more really) to adjust.

Don't underestimate how tired you will / may be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a little worried with what I have been reading about beaches being full by 9am....are we going to be driving around just passing full parking lots?

Ok March is a little iffy for surf conditions, cause it's at the end of the winter season so you may see some big swells come in to the north shore. Hanauma will probably be your best bet for snorkeling on Oahu, unless it's particularly calm on the north shore then I would recommend The Tables. If you were coming in the summer season I'd have suggested snorkeling 3 tables during your drive along the north shore, which is where it is. On the plus side for March, it will still be whale season. :) there some excellent beaches along the drive up the east coast to the north shore, so consider stopping for a dip along the way. The sand is amazing along waimanalo and kailua!

As far as packed beaches, hanauma is the main one to be concerned with. The lot does fill up, as it is such a popular spot. But most beaches, especially on week days, you shouldn't have trouble finding parking.

For your first day, sun will be setting around 6:45. So you may or may not have a chance to get to the beach IF you do beach before dinner instead of after.

~Katy

Hanauma Bay may fill up early, but it is probably the only beach area outside Waikiki that would.

I will agree that other islands have better snorkeling, but I will vehemently disagree that Oahu doesn't have very good snorkeling. Places like Shark's Cove, Turtle Bay, Electric Beach, etc have great snorkeling.

For information on snorkeling on the Big Island, I'd read this top question from TripAdvisor, Cruise Critic parent co.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29217-c7522/Island-Of-Hawaii:Hawaii:Snorkeling.html

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all so much for your advice!

i moved on to planning for hilo (waterfalls, VNP) and kona (a cheap day - shuttle bus to beach, possible snorkel gear rental) but now i am back to honolulu.

wednesday's beach plan was just to help stay awake. on our trip to vegas and when our pre alaskan cruise stay in vancouver, we were up around 24 hours with the time change. i'm hoping i can handle hawaii!

thursday will still be diamond head and north shore - but i'm leaving friday morning open in case hanauma bay is full by the time we get there. friday we're going to stick with PCC - my husband really wants to go to their luau and night show.

i kind of had dreams of whale watching, but there's only so much time & i feel like whale watches take up a lot of hours. we went on an awesome trip in washington and saw a lot of orcas. in alaska we saw orcas again and only one humpback tail. it would be amazing to see more humpbacks, but with there being no guarantee, i think we'll skip it.

i haven't decided on hotel yet. honestly i havent even looked. cheap, clean & safe are our main concern. amenities and fanciness are not.

i'll get this whole hawaii thing figured out :)

thanks again!

I think you will be happy with your choice not to do a whale watching tour. There's a good chance you will see some on your way up to the north shore, as well as from the ship. So paying for and taking time for a tour probably won't be necessary.

~Katy

Wednesday. Are you staying in Waikiki, on or close proximity to the beach? If you arrive at 4:00 it likely will be at least 5:30 or even later before you get to your room with picking up rental car and all. Then dinner somewhere. Then beach?? Don't forget that at 7:00 pm Hawaii time it will be 1:00 am body time. You may end up ditching the beach for bed.:p. A walk down Waikiki beach or the Boardwalk along the beach is nice going to and from dinner. Most of the hotels have beachfront restaurants and bars.

Thursday. Your plan sounds good to me. You might get some beach time on the North Shore where there are some gorgeous beaches, but parking is not always easy. Your route will probably take you up the Windward Coast where the road runs between the Koolau Mountains and the ocean. ( this is one of my favorite places in all the islands ). Also some very nice and very empty beaches along here. This route will take you right past the Polynesian Cultural Center, so you might just want to stop then. Read the reviews for this place carefully. Most people spend a full day, so I don't know about a short visit. To me, it just seems like a tourist trap and I'd rather be out seeing the real island. Given your comment about nature and photo ops, I'd head to Kualoa Ranch instead, just beyond PCC, and maybe do a movie sites tour. We did the ATV which takes you to a high valley sandwiched between two mountains with vistas to the sea. The most gorgeous thing I have ever seen with two feet on the ground. You could do this on your North Shore Day, or return there on Friday. They have many types of tours, including horseback.

Friday. Maui is more known for snorkeling, like that at Molokini Crater, and the water around the Big Island, Hawaii is gorgeous. Many people plan a snorkeling trip from Kona, especially by catamaran to Kealakekua Bay next to the Captain Cook Monument. If you want beach snorkeling in Oahu, Hanauma Bay is like a big fishbowl. Parking sometimes reaches max capacity. If you go, go as early as possible. There may be some nice boat snorkeling as well.

One other thought, you might check out Waimea Valley as you go through the North Shore. There is a paved botanical garden type walk up through the valley past some historical sites back to a waterfall. Very beautiful and was a nice opportunity for a stretch of the legs and a snack and a look round the gift shop.

Enjoy your trip!

Your plans sound reasonable Are you staying in Waikiki? It took me about an hour to hike Diamond head It gets very hot up there. Wear sneakers and bring water!! If you do it before sunset bring a flashlight as you have to go through a tunnel. The views at the summit are amazing you can see the entire leeward side of Oahu. You will need to go back to hotel and shower after that hike The drive is an hour if you are staying in Waikiki

On the North shore take a little time to stop at Haleiwa. Very cool laid back town. There are some good food trucks on the North Shore. Get shots at pipe line, Sharks Cove and definitely Waimea.

Don't overlook Hanauma Bay for snorkeling. It is amazing. The Nuaunu Pali lookout has some amazing views and is a great photo shoot

Aloha and have an Awesome trip

i moved on to planning for hilo (waterfalls, VNP) and kona (a cheap day - shuttle bus to beach, possible snorkel gear rental) but now i am back to honolulu.

wednesday's beach plan was just to help stay awake. on our trip to vegas and when our pre alaskan cruise stay in vancouver, we were up around 24 hours with the time change. i'm hoping i can handle hawaii!

thursday will still be diamond head and north shore -

i haven't decided on hotel yet. honestly i havent even looked. cheap, clean & safe are our main concern. amenities and fanciness are not.

thanks again!

I would have snorkel gear with you on Thursday. There is great snorkeling at Kuilima (Turtle Bay), Sharks Cove and Laniakea Beach (all North Shore) and you should be ready in case you want to jump in the water. Check the links below.

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kuilima_cove_snorkeling.html

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/sharks_cove.html

http://www.snorkelingdives.com/scripts/four.asp?ID=23905&TYPE=SNORKELING

As to a hotel, what is your budget? Easter in 2016 is March 27 so from March 17 to about March 28 hotels were be busier and more expensive than the weeks before that time. I would book soon.

I would have snorkel gear with you on Thursday. There is great snorkeling at Kuilima (Turtle Bay), Sharks Cove and Laniakea Beach (all North Shore) and you should be ready in case you want to jump in the water. Check the links below.

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kuilima_cove_snorkeling.html

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/sharks_cove.html

http://www.snorkelingdives.com/scripts/four.asp?ID=23905&TYPE=SNORKELING

As to a hotel, what is your budget? Easter in 2016 is March 27 so from March 17 to about March 28 hotels were be busier and more expensive than the weeks before that time. I would book soon.

thanks for the holiday season reminder. we'll be checking in Wednesday march 28th and checking out Saturday april 2nd.

my hotel budget is kind of cheap. we just want clean & safe with parking - i know we'll probably pay extra for the parking. around $125 a night before parking is my ideal range. im not too picky - while everyone was recommending the pan pacific in vancouver, we stayed at days inn for $100 and were completely happy.

thanks for the holiday season reminder. we'll be checking in Wednesday march 28th and checking out Saturday april 2nd.

my hotel budget is kind of cheap. we just want clean & safe with parking - i know we'll probably pay extra for the parking. around $125 a night before parking is my ideal range. im not too picky - while everyone was recommending the pan pacific in vancouver, we stayed at days inn for $100 and were completely happy.

We have read pros and cons on the idea, but you might want to look into a vacation rental on Oahu. Trip Advisor's "10 Best Oahu Vacation Rentals", for instance, shows a studio apartment in Waikiki with free parking and a 4.5 out of 5 rating (if you can believe that) for $125.00/night. We aren't familiar with that area, so this may not be a great idea, and please do with this idea whatever you wish.

Edit: Got curious and typed in your dates of stay on Oahu (which would actually be March 30th-April 2nd), and the price for your time period on the aforementioned studio went up to $134/night.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

thursday will still be diamond head and north shore - but i'm leaving friday morning open in case hanauma bay is full by the time we get there. friday we're going to stick with PCC - my husband really wants to go to their luau and night show.

i kind of had dreams of whale watching, but there's only so much time & i feel like whale watches take up a lot of hours. we went on an awesome trip in washington and saw a lot of orcas. in alaska we saw orcas again and only one humpback tail. it would be amazing to see more humpbacks, but with there being no guarantee, i think we'll skip it.

thanks again!

I stayed at the Aqua Bamboo on Kuhio pre cruise on 2013 and it was 150 a night. It was on Kuhio Street about 2 Avenues over from the beach. Small hotel but completely adequate. Aloha and have a great trip

If you want to stay in Waikiki I am not sure you'll find anything decent for $100, but you might find good stuff under $150.

Check the Waikiki Sand Villa, Hotel Ilima, White Sands Hotel, Waikiki Parc Hotel, The Breakers, and Ilikai.

I think the Bamboo is a cute boutique, but not sure you'll get it at under $150 in Easter Week. Check the Waikiki Circle as well.