Alexandria, Egypt

DSHINC

Here we go again with me being a contrarian. We have been to Alexandria 3 times, twice on cruises and third while we were traveling (for several weeks) on an independent (DW and moi) throughout Egypt (when Murarak was still in power). DW and I really enjoyed all of our time in Egypt (especially our land trip when we could get to places like Dendera and Abu Simbel (places not visited by cruise passengers). And spending several days in Luxor was amazing.

But our last cruise that stopped at Alexandria (about 2 years ago) was very sad. We were there for 2 full days (on a Celebrity cruise), While most of our fellow passengers made the long (and overpriced) tour trek to Cairo and Giza, DW and I spent the 2 days on our own just wandering around Alexandria (a city where we had previously spent 2 nights in a hotel). We were appalled at how the infrastructure of Alexandria had collapsed! We walked for miles through lots of neighborhoods, and it was obvious that the locals (who have always treated us very well) were totally embarrassed about the situation in their beloved city. We still had a good time, enjoyed local seafood, did our usual stop at the Library (its a beautiful building and we could get free high speed internet). But the situation in Egypt was not good (and reportedly has gone further downhill since our last visit. Quite a few cruise ships have even cancelled their visits due to unrest although things do seem more stable at the moment.

Would we return to Egypt on another land trip? Not given the current situation in the country. On our land trip (a few years ago) we had our driver take us to 2 Coptic Monasteries located between Alexandria and Cairo. We were always greeting by Monks who gave us personal tours of their facilities (Wadi Nadur was amazing). But these Monasteries are probably gone (destroyed) and we are not sure if the Monks are even alive. The time to see Egypt was a few years ago. For now, we think one should wait and see.

Hank

The Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs have a lot of warnings regarding Egypt, Alexandria are one of the few exceptions.

I had been cautious if I were to visit Egypt. With that said I'm going to Turkey next month and I guess that some would think twice before they went there right now.

The Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs have a lot of warnings regarding Egypt, Alexandria are one of the few exceptions.

I had been cautious if I were to visit Egypt. With that said I'm going to Turkey next month and I guess that some would think twice before they went there right now.

Call me a contrarian (again) but we love visiting Turkey and would go back there in a heartbeat. We would avoid certain areas in the south (not visited by any cruises or cruise tours) but would still feel comfy in Istanbul, Kusadasi, Izmir, of even on our long drives out of Kusadasi. Based on various news reports (and blogs) we see the risks in Turkey to actually be less then we used to face traveling to England in the days when the IRA was actively causing "issues."

And there are tremendous differences between Turkey and Egypt. Turkey is a democracy (where women have equal rights) and an active member of NATO. While there are differences between Turkey and our country, they are still a solid ally. And on our many visits to Turkey we have found the people to be friendly and helpful. Yes, Turkey does have some problems now, but have you tried walking around many US cities at night?

Hank