Charging Privileges?

conandrob240

On other lines, it's always been very clear when doing on- line check- in whether allowing actual charging privileges to kids. You enter your cv and sign to be responsible for the room and its members but then there is usually a separate section where you check off whether person can have charging privileges on their card/ wow band. I don't see how to do this on RCCL. I assume you can decide who has charging ability- am I missing it on on- line check-in? Do I have to call or do it at the pier?

On other lines, it's always been very clear when doing on- line check- in whether allowing actual charging privileges to kids. You enter your cv and sign to be responsible for the room and its members but then there is usually a separate section where you check off whether person can have charging privileges on their card/ wow band. I don't see how to do this on RCCL. I assume you can decide who has charging ability- am I missing it on on- line check-in? Do I have to call or do it at the pier?

You can do it at Guest Services after you board. However, my understanding is that even if you put a charging limit on an account, charges at the arcade will still be accepted.

As Bob mentioned you can put a limit or take off charging privileges at guest services once onboard. However, with the newer ships you can check your accounts on the TV in the cabin. What we did with our teens is set a verbal limit then sit with them once a day to ensure they were staying within the limits. If they went over we would take away all privileges. Fortunately it never got to that even with my son who loved the arcade!

Its sort of ridiculous that I can't do it ahead of time and I have to waste my time at guest services. And if the arcade thing is true, that is completely unacceptable. No charging privileges means that their bands or cards should not work at any pay for service point. The teen is not the issue- he always gets full privileges and has never once taken advantage or bought more than a smoothie. At 16, he is over arcades. The little ones are the issue and at 8 and 5, they will not be allowed to have any charging privileges at all. They lose things too easily and they certainly can't be trusted to stick to a limit at an arcade. If they want something, they ask and I buy (or don't buy, as the case may be).

Its sort of ridiculous that I can't do it ahead of time and I have to waste my time at guest services. And if the arcade thing is true, that is completely unacceptable. No charging privileges means that their bands or cards should not work at any pay for service point. The teen is not the issue- he always gets full privileges and has never once taken advantage or bought more than a smoothie. At 16, he is over arcades. The little ones are the issue and at 8 and 5, they will not be allowed to have any charging privileges at all. They lose things too easily and they certainly can't be trusted to stick to a limit at an arcade. If they want something, they ask and I buy (or don't buy, as the case may be).

One solution might be to ask Guest Services for extra keys to the stateroom and give these to the younger ones. Then keep their SeaPass cards yourself. These extra keys won't have charging privileges, nor will they act as identification, so I don't know if the lack of an ID card will present some other problem.

Edited by clarea

Seriously, right?

If I go to guest services and sign off to have ALL CHARGING PRIVILEGES suspended for a child and they try to bill me for any arcade charges that occur after that, I can tell you for certain I wont be paying them. No charging means no charging.

Every other line I've ever sailed on has a quick check box when you are doing your pre-boarding paperwork. Seems an easy thing to allow people to decide unless, of course, they are hoping for kids charging.

One solution might be to ask Guest Services for extra keys to the stateroom and give these to the younger ones. Then keep their SeaPass cards yourself. These extra keys won't have charging privileges, nor will they act as identification, so I don't know if the lack of an ID card will present some other problem.

Don't they wear their Wow bands and need them for things like the kids club, activities on board, etc.?

I'm fairly certain that on the last page of your set sail pass online check in there is the option to pay or not pay for others you are travelling with or under a different reservation.

I have never had to go to guest services to ensure that my kids cannot charge to their cards. If you don't choose to pay for them on the set sail, they won't have buying privileges. I think the default is for no charging.

As for the arcade - the only way they can use their sea pass is if they load money to the card before playing games. If they don't have buying privileges they won't be able to add credit. My kids love the arcade and have never been able to use it without us adding money to their cards.

That being said, if they are C&A members they do get some free credit I believe.

Don't they wear their Wow bands and need them for things like the kids club, activities on board, etc.?

The kids have wristbands, but on ships other than Quantum Class, the wristbands don't have any ID or charging capability - they are just for muster stations.

The little ones are the issue and at 8 and 5, they will not be allowed to have any charging privileges at all. They lose things too easily and they certainly can't be trusted to stick to a limit at an arcade.

Here's a concept -- don't allow your 5yo and 8yo kids to roam the ship unaccompanied/unsupervised.... then they can't charge anything you don't want them to spend money on. :rolleyes:

Here's a concept -- don't allow your 5yo and 8yo kids to roam the ship unaccompanied/unsupervised.... then they can't charge anything you don't want them to spend money on. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm letting the 5 and 8 yr old roam around alone. You are right. :rolleyes: You have no idea the situation. The question was can you turn off charging privileges. Period. No need to hear your judgment. If you must know, I am providing my cc for my sister and her kids because my sister has no $, no cc , nothing. While I will be ultimately responsible for them, I don't exactly trust her to watch what they charge. Not that that is any of your business. :mad: Enough

I thought that you had to have a cc on every stateroom just as a deposit for damages, etc like they do for any hotel. Is it true/possible, I can decline to set up a shipboard account with a cc for nay member for the sailing party? I thought you had to give a cc or set up a cash account for each stateroom/person?

We are on Quantum Class Anthem , BTW do the wristbands will be active for charging.

Since Quantum Class is so technologically advanced, perhaps Royal has been able (and willing) to program the system to reject arcade charges for restricted onboard accounts.

I'm fairly certain that on the last page of your set sail pass online check in there is the option to pay or not pay for others you are travelling with or under a different reservation.

I have never had to go to guest services to ensure that my kids cannot charge to their cards. If you don't choose to pay for them on the set sail, they won't have buying privileges. I think the default is for no charging.

As for the arcade - the only way they can use their sea pass is if they load money to the card before playing games. If they don't have buying privileges they won't be able to add credit. My kids love the arcade and have never been able to use it without us adding money to their cards.

That being said, if they are C&A members they do get some free credit I believe.

Thanks for this. This seems to have worked. I was under the mistaken perception that you had to sign for everyone in a cabin but it seems I could go and unclick the child from the account and now they have no on-board signing/account privileges. let's hope that solves the problem.

As an add on, trying to decide how to handle my sisters. She wont have cash or a cc to put down so I need to do that for her. But I cant completely trust her to not charge $1000s to my card. Tell me how a cash account works? I don't want to do anything to embarrass her but I want to protect myself somewhat. Can I put a limit? Is it best for me to do this with cash or a cc? My preference is always to use a cc but if this situation would work better with cash I'll consider it. I'd also prefer to not have to go to guest services during my trip!

T... As an add on, trying to decide how to handle my sisters. She wont have cash or a cc to put down so I need to do that for her. But I cant completely trust her to not charge $1000s to my card. Tell me how a cash account works? I don't want to do anything to embarrass her but I want to protect myself somewhat. Can I put a limit? Is it best for me to do this with cash or a cc? My preference is always to use a cc but if this situation would work better with cash I'll consider it. I'd also prefer to not have to go to guest services during my trip!

A cash account allows the guest to charge up to $500 before they ask the balance to be paid down. Royal does not require any cash up front. A cash account will require a trip to Guest Services on the last evening to settle the account.

I am sure they could program it anywhere. A card with no charging privileges should be exactly that. I am sure they like the $100+ arcade bills that kids ring up on board!

Unless it has been changed recently, you have to load money onto your sea pass account at a machine outside the arcade to then be able to use the games in the arcade. That machine can be used whether a person has charging privileges or not. So, if your sister keeps an eye on the kids and loads a specific amount, they can't go over that amount but they can go reload more money and play again.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on the daily compass for free family time in the arcade, it was night one on our cruise. Get their fix on the free night and then steer them to all the other free, fun stuff on the ship.

When they travel with me, we have a no arcade rule but my sister will let them do al kinds of things especially if it involves someone else's $ so I just want to be clear on how it works.

Wow band question add on- if one loses a Wow band, can anyone ick it up and charge with it (arcade or elsewhere)? I trust the teen completely to not spend but he definitely loses things ;) On our last cruise, he lost his card about 10 times LOL

A cash account allows the guest to charge up to $500 before they ask the balance to be paid down. Royal does not require any cash up front. A cash account will require a trip to Guest Services on the last evening to settle the account.

So, if I just check cash account for her, I don't have to do anything until payment (or if/when she goes over $500)? And it won't "look" odd to anyone swiping her card. It'll simply stop her at $500?

So, if I just check cash account for her, I don't have to do anything until payment (or if/when she goes over $500)? And it won't "look" odd to anyone swiping her card. It'll simply stop her at $500?

Correct. It will only look odd when she exceeds $500 and the card stops working.;)

I was always able to do it ahead of time, and when you print your set sail pass, it will show it on it also. There is a section to sign authorizing charges, and it lists the names and you give permission to allow those names to charge. Only the names you allow. I have always done this prior the cruise. When my Kid wanted to be able to charge, we set it up with his credit card prior the cruise also.

At check in, they confirm all of this, and swipe the appropriate cards.

Never needed to go to guest services for this.

Look at where you check in at on the webpage. There is a section for credit card info.

She will be forewarned so I wont carry any guilt if she exceeds the $500 and gets embarrassed. ;)

Just for safety, you may want to confirm that $500 limit with Guest Services. I've not tested it lately, nor have I seen any recent reports, so it could have changed. You can call Guest Services, no need to stand in line.