Lounge Chair Etiquette

kevingastreich

What is a proper amount of time to wait before I can commandeer a lounge chair that has been "saved" with a book, a hat, a bag etc.? Some people go to the sun deck in the morning, throw their stuff on a couple of chairs and then disappear to go eat, gamble, go back to their cabin or whatever and expect the chair(s) to be available when they get back. Thanks. :confused:

Personally, I think 20 minutes is more than fair (by about double).

How long does a potty break, or a hunting & gathering for food expedition, take? Those, or a swim in the pool, are about the only valid reasons I can think of off-hand for a chair to be saved.

I think the official rule on most cruiselines is 30 min before you ask a crewmember to please put the items in lost and found for safe keeping.

Of course, there are many who take a more direct approach to establishing chair ownership, foregoing the recommended intervention of the crew. This probably results from the often reported failure by crew members to actually do anything, leaving it to passengers to sort it out themselves. :rolleyes:

Oh I so wish this was true about the 30 min rule ,but in the real world it doesn't work that way. I have given a seat over 45 mins and been attacked both verbily and physically. If you do use this rule be prepared for what will happen next

Personally, I think 20 minutes is more than fair (by about double).

How long does a potty break, or a hunting & gathering for food expedition, take? Those, or a swim in the pool, are about the only valid reasons I can think of off-hand for a chair to be saved.

So for how long am I allowed to have a swim?

Oh I so wish this was true about the 30 min rule ,but in the real world it doesn't work that way. I have given a seat over 45 mins and been attacked both verbily and physically. If you do use this rule be prepared for what will happen next

If you went moving my stuff while I was having a swim or getting a feed I'd give you a blast too.

It is a shame that a crew member isn't able to time (keep track) of how long people are gone from their lounge chairs. But they have so many chores to do.

30 minutes should be the limit -- but it will not happen.

This is a situation that is never going to go away.

Again why 30 mins, if I have a swim and go to the toilet and grab a burger it'll probably take more than that won't it?

I'm pretty sure a lot of the cruise lines limit a chair being held to around 30min approx.

For the record, i think chair holding is rude but if you're going to remove someones stuff I would be prepared for a confrontation.

You could always ask a staff member to remove the items but even they are hesitant (in my experience) to touch someone else's belongings even if it is a posted rule :roll eyes:

I think it should be within reason too though, if theres empty chairs around and the one you want has stuff on it then it might be better to just grab an empty one for the time being.

On our last cruise on the Nieuw in March there are signs posted around the lido pool deck in regards to occupying the lounge chairs unattended. Never have had a problem. I have seen tempers fly on occasion people arguing about the unoccupied chairs who gets them! For me I will enjoy my balcony.

Denise:) just my opinion

Honestly, sometimes we take a bit longer than 30 minutes to go have a lunch and then continue our sunbathing. Our wet towels and copious magazines make it pretty clear that the area is in active use. It's those clean towels with one book tossed on top that get troubling after 30 minutes, which is about when I'd ask an attendant to clear the lounge.

Again why 30 mins, if I have a swim and go to the toilet and grab a burger it'll probably take more than that won't it?

maybe you dont need to put a chair on hold then if you're so busy doing all those other things ? find another chair when you're back from swimming/eating and using the restroom.

Honestly, sometimes we take a bit longer than 30 minutes to go have a lunch and then continue our sunbathing. Our wet towels and copious magazines make it pretty clear that the area is in active use. It's those clean towels with one book tossed on top that get troubling after 30 minutes, which is about when I'd ask an attendant to clear the lounge.

i dont see the difference between a dry/wet towel or one book vs several magazines.. either its okay to leave stuff there or its not. the status of said items left there should really have no bearing on whether its okay or not.

maybe you dont need to put a chair on hold then if you're so busy doing all those other things ? find another chair when you're back from swimming/eating and using the restroom.

And what do I do with my towel book etc in the meantime.

i dont see the difference between a dry/wet towel or one book vs several magazines.. either its okay to leave stuff there or its not. the status of said items left there should really have no bearing on whether its okay or not.

I think you probably get the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes you can walk by the same lounge chair all morning and see that somebody tossed their stuff out there early to hold it and it is just that -- held, but not in use. If the pool is crowded, I don't think it's very cool to do that. Gotta rotate them out. But nobody should have their nice day in the sun interrupted if they need to go to their stateroom to freshen up or go get a bite to eat. I think bottom line is there is no hard and fast answer. Good manners and common sense need to prevail.

I think you probably get the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes you can walk by the same lounge chair all morning and see that somebody tossed their stuff out there early to hold it and it is just that -- held, but not in use. If the pool is crowded, I don't think it's very cool to do that. Gotta rotate them out. But nobody should have their nice day in the sun interrupted if they need to go to their stateroom to freshen up or go get a bite to eat. I think bottom line is there is no hard and fast answer. Good manners and common sense need to prevail.

I think it's rude too, to hold a chair when you are no where near the pool area. But I'm not sure it's any ruder than moving someone's things because they've been gone for 31 minutes.

Funny though, I only sail in Australia now, and have never seen this become an issue here.

And what do I do with my towel book etc in the meantime.

how about get a bag and carry it with you? :confused:

i think you're just more interested in arguing with people than really offering anything of value to these forums.

I agree that i think its rude to move someones stuff but if its clearly stated after 30 mins then technically that is the stated rule.

But as i also said before , if you touch someones stuff id expect a confrontation.

how about get a bag and carry it with you? :confused:

i think you're just more interested in arguing with people than really offering anything of value to these forums.

I agree that i think its rude to move someones stuff but if its clearly stated after 30 mins then technically that is the stated rule.

But as i also said before , if you touch someones stuff id expect a confrontation.

Carry it with me while I'm swimming:confused:

Wow that's clever.

And like I care what you think about my motivation.

I don't disagree with you, but there have to be limits beyond which the chair needs to be released. HAL has decided that 1/2 hour is reasonable. You might argue that an hour would be better and I might think 45 minutes. The point is, no matter what time is allocated, there will always be people that abuse the system. So if going to your cabin and then going to eat is going to exceed the establish time limit, you run the exact same chance of losing your chair as any other person who goes over. Just like a parking meter: it doesn't matter how long you might exceed the limit or what you were doing, if the little red flag pops up you are just as liable to get ticketed as anyone else. :)

My feeling is if you are leaving the pool area to have lunch, then you should give up your chair to someone else. When you have finished, come back and see if there's space for you again. Just MHO.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Honestly, sometimes we take a bit longer than 30 minutes to go have a lunch and then continue our sunbathing. Our wet towels and copious magazines make it pretty clear that the area is in active use.

No, the loungers are not "in active use"; you are somewhere else having lunch. ;)

Edited by Boytjie