Which would you book and why?

ukdeblarz

Here are my choices for my next cruise. Three people in cabin. Western Caribbean from New Orleans for Christmas week:

NCL Dawn

Penthouse Aft for $6100

Mini Suite for $3500

Carnival Dream

OS for $4700

Balcony for $2300 not much more for Spa Balcony

I have heard that NCL mini suite is the same size as Carnival Balcony but $6100 feels like a lot for a suite. Carnival suites don't come with any perks except priority embarkation and tendering, right?

Carnival Dream fans, convince me why I should go with Carnival over NCL?

Thanks for any advice

Here are my choices for my next cruise. Three people in cabin. Western Caribbean from New Orleans for Christmas week:

NCL Dawn

Penthouse Aft for $6100

Mini Suite for $3500

Carnival Dream

OS for $4700

I have heard that NCL mini suite is the same size as Carnival Balcony but $6100 feels like a lot for a suite. Carnival suites don't come with any perks except priority embarkation and tendering, right?

Thanks for any advice

We've never sailed NCL, but I'll say that no one week cruise is worth over $6,000, to us anyway. We've sailed 13 days in a balcony cabin Veranda deck on Legend for $3,200 for both of us. We're paying the same for a balcony on deck 9 on Vista's transatlantic.

But that is my opinion and values are different for everyone. Only you know your finances.

Since you did ask, I'd choose the balcony on Dream. Then I'd book two more cruises for other times with the rest of the money.

Good luck choosing.

NCL Dawn

Penthouse Aft for $6100

Mini Suite for $3500

Carnival Dream

OS for $4700

Thanks for any advice

The mini suite on NCL for $3500 sounds like a bargain for 3 people. Additional cabin space plus amenities. Cheaper than the Dream OS.

Edited by evandbob

I would not book a suite on Carnival. To me, there is no value there.

I cruise for ports, so I'd go Carnival balcony.

The ship has plenty of activities, and it would be fun. And the $1200 saved is half-way to another vacation.

(Though I do wonder why no comparison to a balcony cabin on NCL?)

No way would I do the NCL suite- for that price you should be going somewhere incredible and exotic for the week. Not western carribean.

Edited by skittl1321

I've sailed on both, the Dawn and the Dream. I would absolutely choose the Dream, if I had that choice to make, probably in a balcony stateroom. Why? The Dream is a newer, nicer ship. Also, the food was better on the Dream, the room slightly larger, and the bed way more comfortable. It's been a few years since I was on the Dawn, but I found the bed to be uncomfortable. Perhaps they have upgraded since then? If so, maybe someone will chime in and tell you so. I'm not saying the Dawn was a bad ship (we enjoyed our cruise). I'm just saying the Dream is superior to the Dawn in several ways. Hope this helps.

The Dawn is cursed, don't sail the Dawn. Just read its history, it is CURSED!

Yes, we sailed on it and had a good enough time, but I am certain that ship is cursed.

Price though, you can take how many balcony cruises on those suite prices? 3-4 right? Why waste the $ for a room that is marginally larger, 20 seconds faster doing something and nothing else of note (at least to me).

We would go with the Dream, unless you drink and can get the free drinks package on NCL.

Great value there.

Although, only the 1st 2 passengers will get the free drinks on NCL.

On the Dream Spa cabin, again 1st 2 guests get the Spa Passes, 3rd is $$.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.

An OS suite on Carnival would be great for 3 people. About 50% more room and the dressing room and extra drawer space and more closets make it so convenient for 3 people.

Your pick is $1200 more than NCL's mini suite and NCL does have free packages - unlimited drinks is one, ultimate specialty dining is another, that enhance the NCL value.

NCL Dawn

Penthouse Aft for $6100

Mini Suite for $3500

Carnival Dream

OS for $4700

Thanks for any advice

I cruise both lines. NCL food in the specialty restaurants is better than on CCL, but if you are not going to spring for the Penthouse Aft on NCL, there is really no reason to go on NCL. The minisuite is nothing but a balcony cabin with a big bathroom.

Your pick is $1200 more than NCL's mini suite and NCL does have free packages - unlimited drinks is one, ultimate specialty dining is another, that enhance the NCL value.

I made an assumption that it would be 3 adults sharing the cabin. I may have been wrong to assume that. The OP was not specific about the passengers. I was just thinking how much more room they would have for 3 adults. Actually making a decision on responses made here is very hard as everyone seems to have a different reason why they would pick a particular cabin on a ship.

I agree about the free drink pkg etc but I couldn't sail with 3 people in a regular sized cabin (balcony). Probably more info from the OP would help. I'm just jealous they are making plans for a cruise. I need one,.......or two.