Ridiculous up-charges

Sandtrap328

I'm cruising for the first time on Celebrity next month and when I saw the title of this post, I thought "Oh, no, what kind of unexpected charges am I in for?". Then I read the OP and almost laughed. Third world problems - complaining about having to pay an extra $1.18 for 2 glasses of wine. Well, at least I know I don't have to plan to plan for several hundred $$ in extra expenses.

A lot of things seem to depend on the sommelier/bartender when it comes to drink packages. On our last cruise in BLU we all had the premium drink package and ordered the same wine at dinner. Now, wine by the glass is covered but if you want a bottle you pay for it. We asked for a wine that was not in BLU but the sommelier could get elsewhere. When he brought it, he left the bottle and kept returning to pour, probably calculating how many glasses the bottle represented. He could have taken the bottle away and put us through the inconvenience of having to wait for him to go get it, but chose to make things easy easy bu giving us the bottle and charging us by the glass.

Why make an issue of it?.....if the .50 bothers you get a $13.00 wine....there is an adequate selection......
I was thinking the same thing. You know the top limit is $13, so if you order wine that is $13.50 or $15.00, you should pay the difference. If they let 50 cents slide, then someone is going to want them to give them the $14 glass of wine on the package and so on...where would it stop. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think that we might be mis-representing the OP's concern. He is not actually complaining about having to pay the 50 cents, but is rather suggesting that the cost of collecting that 50 cents, in terms of staff time, paperwork, and possible guest dissatisfaction, is probably not worth it.

I think that we might be mis-representing the OP's concern. He is not actually complaining about having to pay the 50 cents, but is rather suggesting that the cost of collecting that 50 cents, in terms of staff time, paperwork, and possible guest dissatisfaction, is probably not worth it.

Guest dissatisfaction should = zero

Then it's up to the. Line to determine if costs outweigh collecting it and again where do you draw the line.

I am currently on the Infinity and having a wonderful time.

We have the Premium Bev. Package. That package covers wine by the glass up to $13. Last night at Blu, I ordered a Poilly Fume (spelling does not count) and it was $13.50. I had two glasses and actually had to sigh the chit for $1.18. I know it is built into the computer system but ...?

I think some common sense would be used either to raise the package limit to cover basic wines - as $13.50 was the standard price - or to lower wine prices to be covered by the premium limit.

The printing, signing, and reconsiling the extra .50 probably costs more than the upcharge.

When the cruise line does this, it cheapens itself to nothing but greedy penny pinchers. Scrooge changed his ways, why can't the cruise lines. Next they will be charging for the toilet paper by the sheet.:eek:

A lot of things seem to depend on the sommelier/bartender when it comes to drink packages. On our last cruise in BLU we all had the premium drink package and ordered the same wine at dinner. Now, wine by the glass is covered but if you want a bottle you pay for it. We asked for a wine that was not in BLU but the sommelier could get elsewhere. When he brought it, he left the bottle and kept returning to pour, probably calculating how many glasses the bottle represented. He could have taken the bottle away and put us through the inconvenience of having to wait for him to go get it, but chose to make things easy easy bu giving us the bottle and charging us by the glass.

That wine steward in BLU deserves a nice extra tip at the end of the cruise for going above and beyond the call of duty.

That's how I read the OP as well. Not griping about $1.18 but wondering if the cost of the transaction is more than the charge. I agreed at first, then got to thinking about it.

It might technically be a loss if taken by itself, but since it's incremental to the $13 covered by the package, it's likely worth collecting. Since there are no cc processing costs associated, just an internal POS transaction, the cost is probably pennies.

It's my first time on Celebrity end of this month and I have just bought the premium package. Can you tell me the usual standard volume of the wine given in a glass, e.g. is it a 120ml or 175ml or better still a 250ml? In the UK these volumes are given when you order either a small, medium or large glass, so it would be interesting for me to know what the practice is on X. Many thanks!

It's like the student who fails the exam by one mark - they are not happy, but the line had to be drawn somewhere.

Agree it's a drama to use words like ridiculous- had the post title been what's the point or whatever the connection to the processing cost of the transaction would have been evident.

Salad Muncher - the glasses have always been large ones to date

It's like the student who fails the exam by one mark - they are not happy, but the line had to be drawn somewhere.

Agree it's a drama to use words like ridiculous- had the post title been what's the point or whatever the connection to the processing cost of the transaction would have been evident.

Salad Muncher - the glasses have always been large ones to date

I've always found the glasses to be large but not the pours😉

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I've always found the glasses to be large but not the pours😉

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Sorry for us the glasses and the pours were large and just the right amount.

That's how I read the OP as well. Not griping about $1.18 but wondering if the cost of the transaction is more than the charge. I agreed at first, then got to thinking about it.

It might technically be a loss if taken by itself, but since it's incremental to the $13 covered by the package, it's likely worth collecting. Since there are no cc processing costs associated, just an internal POS transaction, the cost is probably pennies.

I don't see why it would be.

Traditionally, everything was charged for, so the cost and capacity is there.

If the point is only that these particular drinks were 0.50 + tip extra, the staff still have the capacity to collect as they did before within their costing system. In fact, staff collection costs have gone down since packages, so there is more capacity.

Not seeing the point.

Not seeing the point.

That's because there isn't one-- not all cruise lines have the same policy as celebrity. I booked a HAL cruise with free drinks included. But the limit is $8 (their prices are much less), but there is no partial upcharge-- you buy a drink for $8.50 and you pay $8.50. Similar to Celebrity's classic pricing structure-- but there is no alternative. Be glad that a glass of wine cost $0.50, and not $13.50

That's because there isn't one-- not all cruise lines have the same policy as celebrity. I booked a HAL cruise with free drinks included. But the limit is $8 (their prices are much less), but there is no partial upcharge-- you buy a drink for $8.50 and you pay $8.50. Similar to Celebrity's classic pricing structure-- but there is no alternative. Be glad that a glass of wine cost $0.50, and not $13.50

I could not agree more. Same on Princess, but they do not have very many choices above the limit. Celebrity could also round all the drinks up to $14 to avoid the potential 50 cent charge.

IMO Celebrity handles this the best way for me.

.... Celebrity could also round all the drinks up to $14 to avoid the potential 50 cent charge.

IMO Celebrity handles this the best way for me.

As others have said, then the person purchasing the $14.50 glass of wine would now be the one who is upset. A limit must be made somewhere. And that 'somewhere' will always upset some people, no matter where it is.

What is truly ridiculous to me is that some people think that EVERYTHING must be in their favor all of the time. That is an unrealistic expectation.

Edited by SantaFeFan

As others have said, then the person purchasing the $14.50 glass of wine would now be the one who is upset. A limit must be made somewhere. And that 'somewhere' will always upset some people, no matter where it is.

What is truly ridiculous to me is that some people think that EVERYTHING must be in their favor all of the time. That is an unrealistic expectation.

I certainly agree. What I meant was Celebrity could keep the limit at $13 and not offer any wines at $13.50, but always at least $14. As I said I think the way it is is more than fair and very liberal. Changin the policy to pay full price for drinks over the limit or always charging at least a $1 to make it more cost effective for processing would be much less popular than a $.50 charge. Passengers perhaps should be careful on what they complain about. 😄😄😀

Can I play Devils Advocate here and see what responses are forthcoming...OK so I am talking here of someone who has actually bought the Premium Package, paid hard cash and not had it as part of an incentive on booking, even though I know these bookings for sure will have been more expensive to allow for these perks! However, to continue..

It costs around $76US per day (or $66 plus 18%) or if in UK £50, (£43 plus 18%) double that for a couple and that's a lot of money to throw down your necks every day. I recon most folk will never manage to 'beat the banker' and spend the equivalent of their daily charge all of the time, particularly on port intensive cruises. So my question is this, should those who are unable to use their full allowance on those 'drier' days invoice Celebrity for the outstanding balance at the end of the night? No, I thought not. Therefore, doesn't it make sense that the majority of drinks available should be included in the Premium package (I am talking regular wines and cocktails here, not top drawer spirits or champagne). Charging someone who has already paid a fair amount of wonga an extra 50 cents, a dollar or even two seems petty in the least and obviously leaves a bad impression on possible future cruisers. Makes you think eh? ;)

Edited by SALAD MUNCHER

Can I play Devils Advocate here and see what responses are forthcoming...OK so I am talking here of someone who has actually bought the Premium Package, paid hard cash and not had it as part of an incentive on booking, even though I know these bookings for sure will have been more expensive to allow for these perks! However, to continue..

It costs around $76US per day (or $66 plus 18%) or if in UK £50, (£43 plus 18%) double that for a couple and that's a lot of money to throw down your necks every day. I recon most folk will never manage to 'beat the banker' and spend the equivalent of their daily charge all of the time, particularly on port intensive cruises. So my question is this, should those who are unable to use their full allowance on those 'drier' days invoice Celebrity for the outstanding balance at the end of the night? No, I thought not. Therefore, doesn't it make sense that the majority of drinks available should be included in the Premium package (I am talking regular wines and cocktails here, not top drawer spirits or champagne). Charging someone who has already paid a fair amount of wonga an extra 50 cents, a dollar or even two seems petty in the least and obviously leaves a bad impression on possible future cruisers. Makes you think eh? ;)

Nope, does not leave a bad impression at all. The limit on cost is defined before you purchase the package. If you then insist on purchasing selections that are above that limit, why is it the cruise line's issue? It is yours, and only yours. YOU want a drink that is in excess of the package's coverage. YOU now must pay the difference. You should accept that you are the one wanting something above the limit. You should be extremely grateful that you don't have the pay the entire price of the higher cost drink as you would have to do on other lines.

It is no different than if you had a $13 off coupon at your favorite store and expected the store to sell you an item that cost $14.00 and not charge you the difference. A totally unreasonable expectation.

The sense of entitlement that some people have is what leaves a bad impression for me. "The cruise line won't give me more than what I paid for. The cruise line is being unreasonable. I feel taken advantage of".

Edited by SantaFeFan

I certainly agree. What I meant was Celebrity could keep the limit at $13 and not offer any wines at $13.50, but always at least $14. As I said I think the way it is is more than fair and very liberal. Changin the policy to pay full price for drinks over the limit or always charging at least a $1 to make it more cost effective for processing would be much less popular than a $.50 charge. Passengers perhaps should be careful on what they complain about. 😄😄😀

DW and I seldom buy a beverage package but we do enjoy a glass of wine or two at dinner. Following your suggestion, my $13.50 glass of wine is now going to cost me and every other paying customer 50 cents more because the OP whines? That doesn't seem fair somehow. Besides, the OP would probably order a $14 glass and make the same complaint. :eek: