Ridiculous up-charges

Sandtrap328

DW and I seldom buy a beverage package but we do enjoy a glass of wine or two at dinner. Following your suggestion, my $13.50 glass of wine is now going to cost me and every other paying customer 50 cents more because the OP whines? That doesn't seem fair somehow. Besides, the OP would probably order a $14 glass and make the same complaint. :eek:

For sure. I wasn't suggesting it. I was just showing how silly it would be.

Nope, does not leave a bad impression at all. The limit on cost is defined before you purchase the package. If you then insist on purchasing selections that are above that limit, why is it the cruise line's issue? It is yours, and only yours. YOU want a drink that is in excess of the package's coverage. YOU now must pay the difference. You should accept that you are the one wanting something above the limit. You should be extremely grateful that you don't have the pay the entire price of the higher cost drink as you would have to do on other lines.

It is no different than if you had a $13 off coupon at your favorite store and expected the store to sell you an item that cost $14.00 and not charge you the difference. A totally unreasonable expectation.

The sense of entitlement that some people have is what leaves a bad impression for me. "The cruise line won't give me more than what I paid for. The cruise line is being unreasonable. I feel taken advantage of".

I think you have missed my point and are repeating what has been by said previously without thinking through the crux of my argument. My point was that as the package is costed at a per day amount there are bound to be some days where you drink less and other days when you max out. Bearing this in mind on some days Celebrity make a profit, on other days a loss, and vice versa for the customer. Therefore for the sake of a small uplift on the drink price ceiling I am sure both customer and Celebrity would come out of this 'deal' feeling "swings and roundabouts" (not sure if this is used outside UK - it means what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts so everyone is happy) - It's a win win situation for everyone!:)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the bias against beer drinkers:

Classic beverage package includes:

Beer up to $6

Frozen drinks up to $8

Wine up to $9

Why the lower max price for beer drinkers? If I want anything other than budmillercoors, I have to pay for the premium package.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the bias against beer drinkers:

Classic beverage package includes:

Beer up to $6

Frozen drinks up to $8

Wine up to $9

Why the lower max price for beer drinkers? If I want anything other than budmillercoors, I have to pay for the premium package.

Are you suggesting that quality WINES are available for $9?

I think you have missed my point and are repeating what has been by said previously without thinking through the crux of my argument. My point was that as the package is costed at a per day amount there are bound to be some days where you drink less and other days when you max out. Bearing this in mind on some days Celebrity make a profit, on other days a loss, and vice versa for the customer. Therefore for the sake of a small uplift on the drink price ceiling I am sure both customer and Celebrity would come out of this 'deal' feeling "swings and roundabouts" (not sure if this is used outside UK - it means what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts so everyone is happy) - It's a win win situation for everyone!:)

No, I did not miss your point. The price of the packages already take into consideration that some days will be port days with fewer opportunities to order drinks all day long. Celebrity is smart enough to figure out the total cost to them based on this situation. They know fully well that some days will see higher alcohol sales than others, and price the packages to even out. So it is up to you to decide if the price is worth it. It is not up to the cruise line to give out freebies because you haven't done their homework and think you have spent too much.

If you think the cost is too high, you can simply not purchase the package and be done with it. If you do purchase the package, it is up to you to understand the limitations and accept them. It is entirely your choice.

Personally, I have done that calculation and do not purchase the packages. One of the reasons for my decision is not being able to drink enough on port days to make it worth while. Simple as that.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Also, may I inject that the Beverage Packages also include several 'non-alcoholic' bottled and canned, beverages which are available.... which one may wish to imbibe frequently during their sailing... even take some of them off ship for tours as well, if permitted by X's policy...

Edited by Bo1953

I think you have missed my point...

Your point is that after you purchase a package with a limit of $13.50 for drinks, you think the cruise line is being selfish for not letting you purchase more expensive drinks without charging you the difference. You think they somehow owe you higher price drinks, even though your package doesn't include them without paying the difference.

So, your point is that you want more than what you paid for, and it's the cruise line who is being unreasonable by not giving it to you.

Did I get that right?

Edited by sloopsailor

Are you suggesting that quality WINES are available for $9?

Oh, good point! I was wondering why you have to move up to the premium package to get beer priced over $6, and we really should be asking why do they charge $9 for poor quality wine when poor quality beer is only $6 :).

Having wines for $13.50 when the premium package covers up to $13 looks bad. Of course they should charge for them, they're not in the wrong, it isn't a "ridiculous" upcharge (that's the new room service fee) but it leads people to wonder "Could you really not have just made that $13 and put it in the package?"

Imagine if it was $13.01 - then it would be much clearer that it was just priced to exclude it from the package, and it leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Buying a package leads one to think that pretty much everything will be included, and seeing something that is a near-miss causes people to feel like they've lost something they might have otherwise had.

Although I haven't done what you suggest on a cruise, I do something virtually identical at land based restaurants. When I order the main course, if I don't eat it all I demand either a refund or credit towards desert for the portion not eaten. If they say "No" (unfortunately, they ALWAYS say "no"!!!), it leaves a very bad impression on me. It's as if they care more about their profit margins than in satisfying my every whim. :mad:

Edited by PTMary

Having wines for $13.50 when the premium package covers up to $13 looks bad. Of course they should charge for them, they're not in the wrong, it isn't a "ridiculous" upcharge (that's the new room service fee) but it leads people to wonder "Could you really not have just made that $13 and put it in the package?"

Imagine if it was $13.01 - then it would be much clearer that it was just priced to exclude it from the package, and it leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Buying a package leads one to think that pretty much everything will be included, and seeing something that is a near-miss causes people to feel like they've lost something they might have otherwise had.

Really?

Buying a package leads one to think that pretty much everything will be included, and seeing something that is a near-miss causes people to feel like they've lost something they might have otherwise had.

I strongly disagree. There is a clearly stated per drink price limit with the package, so to anybody with half a brain it's clear that drinks priced above that are not included in the package.

Except the drinks were always priced individually, at a range of prices before the packages existed. So, no, they didn't just price some to be just out of range of the package. They just have a drinks list, created a package, had to define a threshold at some level... and chose that level.

As said earlier, there's always going to be a cut-off, unless they include everything or as your post also implies, that you want them to now re-price the menu and make some people pay more so that the drink prices are not near the cut-off. Definitely seems unreasonable to me.

I think that we might be mis-representing the OP's concern. He is not actually complaining about having to pay the 50 cents, but is rather suggesting that the cost of collecting that 50 cents, in terms of staff time, paperwork, and possible guest dissatisfaction, is probably not worth it.

And that is a bogus argument really isn't it.

What real costs are there? The staff is already there, so they are not costing anything else. The receipt paper costs pennies for them to print those 2 6" pieces of receipt paper. Losing a customer who will complain over 50 cents isn't a loss anyway. They are not a customer contributing to the necessary onboard spending that is the profitable part of the cruise for the cruise lines.

Buying just 1 single case of receipt paper is $19.95 for 50 85' rolls. Or 40 cents per roll. That 85' roll will accommodate 85 sales (2 6" receipts per transaction). This makes each sale cost .0047 cents each, half a cent.

Of course, Celebrity is buying in bulk, so paying far less than I just buying a single case at Restaurant Discount Warehouse.

So for an investment of half a cent, they made $1.00 in profit. That's a pretty good investment.

I buy the premium upgrade, just so I know I can buy the glasses over $13 for the overage only. I'm happy to pay just 50 cents, $1 or $2 for a glass of wine that should normally be $15.

And in setting pricing in F&B operations, It's all just simple mathematics. Cost plus whatever markup, and round up to the nearest plateau, seems X is rounding in 50 cent increments. Perhaps the OP would be happier if they marked it up to the nearest dollar or 5 dollar increment, and not 50 cents? Or maybe lower the threshold to $12 a glass, therefore the markup would have been $1.50 each glass, and not a "petty" 50 cents?

Edited by cle-guy

The premium beverage package covers more than just the alcohol - you can get proper coffee for example, rather than the stuff served routinely. It means that you can get the vast majority of coffees and teas at Café Al Bacio plus fresh orange juice with breakfast or a meal. We also used it to get a large bottle of water each when going off the ship at ports.

The premium beverage package covers more than just the alcohol - you can get proper coffee for example, rather than the stuff served routinely. It means that you can get the vast majority of coffees and teas at Café Al Bacio plus fresh orange juice with breakfast or a meal. We also used it to get a large bottle of water each when going off the ship at ports.

I appreciate that info. Does the Classic cover any of that?

I appreciate that info. Does the Classic cover any of that?

Yup.

I strongly disagree. There is a clearly stated per drink price limit with the package, so to anybody with half a brain it's clear that drinks priced above that are not included in the package.

Couldn't agree more.

And that is a bogus argument really isn't it.

What real costs are there? The staff is already there, so they are not costing anything else. The receipt paper costs pennies for them to print those 2 6" pieces of receipt paper. Losing a customer who will complain over 50 cents isn't a loss anyway. They are not a customer contributing to the necessary onboard spending that is the profitable part of the cruise for the cruise lines.

Buying just 1 single case of receipt paper is $19.95 for 50 85' rolls. Or 40 cents per roll. That 85' roll will accommodate 85 sales (2 6" receipts per transaction). This makes each sale cost .0047 cents each, half a cent.

Of course, Celebrity is buying in bulk, so paying far less than I just buying a single case at Restaurant Discount Warehouse.

So for an investment of half a cent, they made $1.00 in profit. That's a pretty good investment.

I buy the premium upgrade, just so I know I can buy the glasses over $13 for the overage only. I'm happy to pay just 50 cents, $1 or $2 for a glass of wine that should normally be $15.

And in setting pricing in F&B operations, It's all just simple mathematics. Cost plus whatever markup, and round up to the nearest plateau, seems X is rounding in 50 cent increments. Perhaps the OP would be happier if they marked it up to the nearest dollar or 5 dollar increment, and not 50 cents? Or maybe lower the threshold to $12 a glass, therefore the markup would have been $1.50 each glass, and not a "petty" 50 cents?

Well said and agreed 100%!