Maui - Hana - Haleakala - Kaanapali - HELP!

wendycook22

We are doing a cruise with two days in Maui. I am torn between a few options.

1. Road to Hana

2. Haleakala Crater

3. Seeing - some time relaxing on Kaanapali Beach

I have heard so many mixed reviews about the road to Hana, that it is long, boring, not worth it, and other that have said it is such an amazing experience, best part of their trip. I have looked all over this thread and am hoping maybe I can get some advice all in one place, with people that have experienced these recently. We would most likely do the excursions through Celebrity (our cruise line) for both Road to Hana and Haleakala (maybe some of you can comment on your past experience). We would do the cruise line in fear of having any tendering issues, or delays. The beach we would navigate to on our own.

Any tips, advice, recommendations, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Wendy,

I see that you're in the port of Lahaina from 8 a.m. one day until 6 p.m. the following day.

We've done the RTH once, and Haleakala several times (both while on land trips to Maui). I think the RTH is great if you have 10 days or more on Maui and enjoy long road trips. You have to be the type of person who is OK with spending 6 or more hours in a vehicle, with a few brief sightseeing stops along the way ... which on a 2 day visit, might feel like too much time being cooped up in a vehicle, when there are other scenic areas to explore that require much less driving time.

Your times are awkward for a RTH tour - it would have to be done the first day, but with an 8 a.m. arrival, you probably wouldn't be on the road until closer to 9 - so the tour might only have time to go to Hana and return the same way. A much more interesting tour is one that does the full loop because you get to see completely different scenery on the way back. (If you you post a link to tour details or copy and paste the description here, it might help with feedback.)

Haleakala, Iao Valley, exploring W. Maui and beach time would be my choice for those two days - but I'd opt for a rental car. Driving on Maui is easy, and the flexibility of having a car would make for a fun couple of days. Plus it's very economical. Since you don't have to pay for the rental in advance, if there's a problem with tendering, you aren't out any $ by not showing up for your rental.

Edited by Susan-M

I would agree with Susan. Hana is something to do, nothing wrong with driving out there, but it is not high on my list, if you have limited time. From Lahaina you are talking a very minimum of 6 hours. That is with pretty much only bathroom breaks on your drive.

The best time for Haleakala is first thing in the morning. If you rent a car, find a place to park it, and do it on the second morning. The tenders should be running, although on a limited schedule. However, this would also be low on my priority list with limited time.

Beaches, snorkeling, time in Lahaina, golf, Iao Needle and general exploring, perhaps a helicopter tour, would be higher priorities.

Haleakala is a great day time trip - you can enjoy the views both driving up and down, and somewhat warmer temperatures (vs. going for sunrise or sunset).

If going to Haleakala with a rental, I'd opt to do it in the morning of day one - you could stop at Iao Valley on the way, then head up Haleakala & stop for late lunch at Kula Lodge on the way back. If you like hiking, do some of the Sliding Sands trail at Haleakala summit - but just a note that hiking back up takes about 3x as long as going down and 3x the effort (because of the elevation and soft volcanic sand) - well worth it for the magnificent views, but you'll want to keep track of how long you're hiking down for so that you'll know how long it's going to take to get back up. If you have any heart or breathing problems, it probably isn't something you'll want to do - better to just view it from the summit viewing area.

On day two, I'd opt to stay in W. Maui (with the rental) - drive as far as Nakalele Blowhole and return the same way. You'll get spectacular views (especially in the area between Kapalua and Nakalale) and you can make some beach stops. If you drop your rental off around 2:30-3:00, you can spend some time exploring Lahaina before catching the tender back to the ship.

As you can see vacation preferences are very personal and what one person loves another person may think a waste of time. Taking cruise ship excursions will limit you on what you can do but you have to go with what you are comfortable with. Personally I think the RTH is great but have always stayed in Hana for 1-2 days, you can drive the RTH just part of the way and still enjoy it's beauty. Take a lunch, hike to a waterfall, and design your own day. I think that Astro Flyer has said that he sometimes takes guests to Haleakala and then the RTH. Very doable in one day. Again, personally, I am not a huge fan of Haleakala and haven't been in years. There are other things I enjoy on Maui. I prefer a volcano visit to VNP on Hawaii. I think a beach day on Kaanapali is wonderful. Nice water, good snorkeling at Black Rock, and good food. You might check out http://www.discoveringhawaii.com, Driving & Discovering Hawaii if you decide to rent a car. We have used this book for years and it is very detailed. With mile markers for the RTH you can visit places with possibly no tourists. I hope you enjoy your visit. Cherie

I have driven the Road to Hana several times and greatly enjoy it. :) I've done your entire list many times. But I find doing any of them with "tours" a negative. They are too limited and the fixed group traveling lacking. I don't want to be stuck "waiting" at areas of little interest to me, or zooming past somewhere, I would have stopped at.

Depends entirely on you. I don't see any problem with the RTH your first day, there are a few car rentals at Lahaina.

I drove it with a friend about 35 years ago. It was ok, but I would never want to do it again. Like, hours and hours of being on a narrow, windy, dangerous road, though there are nice things to see. I would rather explore Lahaina leisurely. The sugar cane train is nice. The Hyatt at Kaanapali I remember as really nice. Go to a luau at night - a really fun and delicious experience. The Hawaiians know how to have fun. Take a little boat trip on the water. Luckily I have been to Hawaii enough that I can leisurely do things. Don't have to cram it all in anymore. Renting a car to do just what you want, if you want to see a lot, is a good idea. Eat a shave ice.

Thank you very much everyone. You all have been very helpful.

I think we will pass on TRH on this trip. I believe what you said about feeling stuck in a vehicle for so long will hold true. I believe the difference between the reviews I gave read of those who enjoyed it versus those who were underwhelmed does come down to time in Maui, and cruise vs land vacation.

You have all been a great help - thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
We plan on three full days in Maui staying in Wailea area. Thought one day of doing RTH but now am not sure. Time in car full day when we only have three full days, any thoughts from those who know.

I wouldn't do the RTH with only 3 days on Maui - but are you also there on a port day? If so, maybe you could do it that day and use your 3 days in Wailea for beach time and exploring areas that don't involve quite as much driving.

We plan on three full days in Maui staying in Wailea area. Thought one day of doing RTH but now am not sure. Time in car full day when we only have three full days, any thoughts from those who know.

You do not have to do the entire RTH to enjoy it's beauty. Choose some stops that you want to visit, pack a pic nic and enjoy. Take a look at the guide I recommended above and you will fined some wonderful stops. Our daughter, who lives on Maui, often goes with friends to RTH, hike past all of the tourists to locations a little further along. Don't be afraid of the RTH because you think you have to do the whole thing. I recently read a blog of someone on a cruise who only had time to go half way on the RTH and loved it. Cherie

Edited by cccole

I wouldn't do the RTH with only 3 days on Maui - but are you also there on a port day? If so, maybe you could do it that day and use your 3 days in Wailea for beach time and exploring areas that don't involve quite as much driving.

Well that would be a different day as we start in Honalulu

Well that would be a different day as we start in Honalulu

Yes - that's what I meant. :) Instead of doing the RTH during your 3 days in Wailea (since you weren't sure that you wanted to take time from those 3 days to drive the RTH) on your Maui cruise stop, you could do the Road to Hana if you're docked in Kahului (vs. docked at Lahaina) and if you have sufficient time to do it. Are you on the Pride of America?

Re your Q about driving half way and turning around ... If you drive the Road to Hana - either all of part of it - you'll turn around and return the way you came (you can drive as far as O'heo Gulch before turning around - or any point before that if you want a shorter trip.) The road continues on past O'heo Gulch and you could do a loop all the way around instead of backtracking, but the road past O'heo Gulch is in pretty rough condition in many places and gets flooded after heavy rains. If you decide to do the full loop, and you're doing it in a rental car, be sure to ask park staff at the Kipahulu parking lot (for O'heo Gulch) if they know what the road condition is - they should be able to give you current info on it. We've driven the full loop - I wouldn't recommend it unless you've done some research to know what to expect (which we did.)

Driving the RTH as far Hana, and back again the same way, is OK (paved, winding road) - between Hana and O'heo Gulch the road is still paved, but becomes more narrow and has some blind curves - just need to take it slow and you'll be OK.

If you're doing it on a cruise day, you'll want to make sure that you allow enough time - the drive to O'heo Gulch from Kahului takes about 2.5 to 3 hours without stops - so 5 hours return - plus time for sightseeing. Often it turns into a 10 hour or more day. Also, be sure to time it so that you're not driving back on the RTH after dark (sunset is early in Hawaii.)

Edited by Susan-M

So if we rented a car we could go half way and then do you turn around?

Absolutely. Take a look at the guide I recommended in a post on October 2, discoveringhawaii.com. We have used this very detailed guide for Maui on many occasions and you choose what you want to see and turn around when you want to. There are plenty of spots to head back. And, there are so many beautiful sights without doing the entire RTH. I think it would be a shame to miss the RTH beauty because you think you have to do the entire circuit. Cherie

Edited by cccole

So if we rented a car we could go half way and then do you turn around?

As others have said, absolutely! That's what we did when I went with my parents years ago. We made it about halfway then turned around.

That's the beauty of a rental car: you're on your own time! :)

Part of the problem is my husband can not sit in a car for that long so you have all solved the problem. Is it conducive to rent a convertible for that drive?

If you don't mind the added expense, YES rent the convertible. So much fun. Just make sure you know how to put the top up if it starts sprinkling. I don't think there's any better way to drive the islands. Have fun. Cherie

p.s. Mama's Fish House is just before you start the RTH. It is a beautiful location and would be a nice place to stop for a cocktail and appetizer on the way back. JMO