Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. Ryndam / Volendam /Maasdam, etc.

POA1

This could be a shot in the dark, but does anyone remember when (approximately) they stopped doing the Mr. / Mrs. /Ms. Shipname contests? I'm thinking that it was in the mid 2000s, but I am trying to narrow it down. (I'm not saying that there are drinks on the line, but if you have any concrete recollection, that would be great. The over/under is 2006.)

Thanks in advance.

I well remember that game. I was asked to be Ms. Maasdam a few times. :)

My guess would be you are darn close by saying 2006. I would go along with 2006, the year Noordam joined the fleet.

My guess would be you are darn close by saying 2006. I would go along with 2006, the year Noordam joined the fleet.

Thanks. That's cool that you got picked!

Do you remember if it was just a small ship thing, or if they did it on the early Vistas (Zuiderdam & Oosterdam) as well?

We still make a point of asking a few people per cruise if they're Mr. or Mrs. Whateverdam. We usually pick people with medallions or 4*/5* pins. It usually gets a smile - and there's always a chance that we'll win a big prize. :)

Edited by POA1

Actually, :o I was appreciative, appropriately thanked they who asked me but I politely declined. :) Not

my thing. ;)

Hmm.... We sailed Zuiderdam about 5 cruises during about her first year and a half or so and I think you have a point. Now that I think about it, I don't think they did it on ZUDM.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't think it was ever done on any of the Vista Class Ships. I remember hearing that they carried "too many passengers". However, the game may have continued on the other ships for a while after the Vistas came into the fleet.

My DH was asked to be in Zaandam in 2000.

I don't remember when it stopped. Our first Vista ship we sailed on was the Zuiderdam in 2005 and the "Mr" and "Ms" game was gone.

Thanks. We sailed on the Zuiderdam in 2003 and the Oosterdam in, 2004,*and I don't remember it from those sailings. However, we were traveling with friends and it's entirely possible that we missed it. My first recollection was on the Ryndam, and I also remember it from the Maasdam and Volendam. I wonder if it was dependant on the Cruise Director.

I just thought I'd ask before all of our memories get too fuzzy. ;)

I don't think it was ever done on any of the Vista Class Ships. I remember hearing that they carried "too many passengers". However, the game may have continued on the other ships for a while after the Vistas came into the fleet.

The last time we had that contest I remember for sure was the Volendam in 2006. I don't remember it on the Veendam in 2007 but there are lots of things I'd like to forget about that cruise. I know for sure we didn't have it in 2011 on the Maasdam.

I DO remember the game on the Rotterdam on either the 2003 or 2004 Voyage of the Vikings (can't remember which one, though), so your "had it through" year is at least 2003.

Hope that narrows it down some for you.

We were on Prinsendam in '06 and I don't remember it from there. Last I can remember is, I think, '05 on the Oosterdam. But my memory isn't what it was.

I could, of course, be persuaded to remember a particular year as the last one.

Apropos nothing in particular, my drink is Remy Martin XO.

;)

We were on the Zuiderdam in 2003 - our first HAL experience, and they had Mr and Ms Zuiderdam. The reason I remember is because we dined every night with the fellow who was Mr. Zuiderdam.

A few years later on the Rotterdam in October, 2006 during our 2nd Mediterranean cruise, I asked if there was a Mr/Ms contest and was told there wasn't. I'm saying 2006 was the year it stopped. Maybe it varied by ship.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

:) I know that there was Mrs Rotterdam in 2004 on the VOV as Ruth has stated because my dw was it on the 1st segment. And we remember meeting Ruth. It was our 1st Hal cruise. Then in the summer of 2005 my dw was again Mrs Maasdam. In 2006 again summer on the Maasdam there was a Mrs Maasdam and I rememberit well because it was our young sons 1st and only HAL cruise and he discovered who it was. Since then we have done over 20 more HAL cruises (all on the smaller ships) and never remember it ever being done again

Okay: so what were the rules?

In a nutshell...

You had to guess who Mr and Mrs xxxdam were by going around and asking are you.....? The idea was that you would meet passengers.

First person to guess correctly was the winner.

We were on the Prinsendam in 2005 & I was asked to be Mr. Prinsendam on about the 3rd or 4th day. Prior to that, one of our tablemates had asked everyone at our table if we were either Mr. or Ms. Prinsendam, so I honestly answered "no". She never asked me again during the 14-day cruise. She was sitting next to us when the CD asked Mr. Prinsendam to stand-you should have seen her face! :eek:

The rest of the story: the person who found me was a Cruise Critic member, Sher aka localady. :) Plus, our tablemate found Ms. Prinsendam.

:D