are there any decent pharmacies to pick up meds in belize

laniakersey

The cost of my meds are going up and i am looking for every source to save a buck if you know what i mean. I heard that belize has a wide selection of bp meds and and was just wondering if anyone had any experience there. I have been to cozumel and they wanted a little too much for their meds. I know how to check expiration dates and what the meds are so i am jst wondering if there are are any decent places anymore.thats all.thanks cruisers

You are probably going to get a lot of negative comments. I guess mine is one of the negative ones, but trying to be constructive, in case you don't know. Please do not try to buy meds this way. You have no idea what you are purchasing - they are not necessarily what you need, would get here; no quality control/inspection, etc.

You are probably going to get a lot of negative comments. I guess mine is one of the negative ones, but trying to be constructive, in case you don't know. Please do not try to buy meds this way. You have no idea what you are purchasing - they are not necessarily what you need, would get here; no quality control/inspection, etc.

Agreed. Too many counterfeits out there.

concur with the others: quality control is vasty different( if not non existent) overseas in these countries. you could be getting complete placebos/fakes or other dosages entirely.

furthermore it might be illegal to bring them back into the states( Rx or not)

For the record I agree with the others in that I think this is a bad idea...

However, to answer your question, when we were in Belize in 2009 there were two stores right in the port area sell Rx meds. They made a big show about it, big signs with price lists, etc. Not sure if it's still that way, but back then you couldn't have missed it if you were walking around the port area.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to buy medications dispensed by a licensed US pharmacist. Your health isn't a smart place to start cutting corners.

I love the supportive comments, best things to do is to visit the drug manufacturers websites, they all have discount or copay cards which will bring the prices down to the price you will pay at the dodgy pharmacies

Those drug stores mentioned by another poster were there earlier this year. While I certainly agree that you have less assurances that the meds are the real McCoy and their efficacy is up to the task, I would not be overly concerned about bp meds. These are not high risk items for counterfeiting, now the little blue pill, stuff like ******... more of risk perhaps. You can monitor your bp and you would know if it is not doing the job. I have purchased drugs for years in a Latin American country (I lived there) where prescriptions were absolutely optional and the drugs were legitimate. Sometimes the sawbones would write script for something more involved or just tell you what to take for how long and off to La Pharmacia you go. Not to run afoul with ICE it certainly would be an excellent idea if you had a prescription for the meds in question... just in case.

Learned something new... a legitimate ethical drug name was starred out and I presume is not on the approved word list. Maybe anti depressant will pass muster.

Edited by BillB48

I love the supportive comments, best things to do is to visit the drug manufacturers websites, they all have discount or copay cards which will bring the prices down to the price you will pay at the dodgy pharmacies

Not always true. My wife takes Crestor, and as if now, there is no generic available. The so called discount card from the manufacturer knocked a whole $20 off the price. Our family doctor told us to check out some online Canadian pharmacies, but do your due diligence before ordering. We found a brick and mortar pharmacy in Vancouver Canada that charged 80% less than the ones in the U.S. She's been using them for over a year and her chloresteral numbers are perfect. I have been buying my acid reflux medicine in Mexico for about five years with no problem. I pay a nickel a pill versus $.60 per pill here. Like our doctor says, whatever works.

The 2 pharmacies are still there, in the pier shopping area. If the first one does not have what you want, go to the second location in the corridor towards the street exit. I have read that there is one outside on the Main Street, but have not personally used that one.

There are some conversations about it over on the Belieze and Cozulel boards, with less judgement going on.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to buy medications dispensed by a licensed US pharmacist. Your health isn't a smart place to start cutting corners.

Talk about judgmental, what gives you the right to tell someone how they should spend their own money? They earned it and how they spend it is their own business.

I buy my medicines from Canada or Mexico, I get my dental work in Mexico, and I book all my cruises through an online travel agency and things couldn't be better.

Talk about judgmental, what gives you the right to tell someone how they should spend their own money? They earned it and how they spend it is their own business.

I buy my medicines from Canada or Mexico, I get my dental work in Mexico, and I book all my cruises through an online travel agency and things couldn't be better.

The right? Really? The OP asked a question and I simply answered based on my best judgement. I have every "right" to express an opinion, just as you have the right to disagree with it. Cheers! :)

The right? Really? The OP asked a question and I simply answered based on my best judgement. I have every "right" to express an opinion, just as you have the right to disagree with it. Cheers! :)

No where in the original post did they ask if they could afford it, just if there was a cheaper alternative in Belize. I gave them another alternative with no reference to if they could afford it as that's none of my, or anybody else's business. You gave them no opinion that was evenly remotely tied to the request, just a dig saying they didn't know how to prioritize their spending.

I do know that if you are returning to Galveston from Belize the Customs lines are a lot longer than when returning from the itinerary that does not stop in Belize. Read into this what you want.